Request to Any Developers..

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

Request to Any Developers..

Post by wodin »

Please does anyone want to develop a grog style cross between grand strategy and 4x fantasy game with the kind of hardcoreness of WITE\WITP i.e a monster game.

I for one would pounce on it. Make it dark and grim with as much realism as you can do taking into account it's a fantasy game. A sort of twisted middle ages, but make it a real big deep grog style game. Through in loads of chrome\lore\management\diplomacy\disasters (including angry gods)\massive battles (not RTS nonesense though, but every individual soldier\creature accounted for in the combat mechanics, you set the formations, choose the commanders\give them SOP's and overall orders\give your magic users a role in battle that suits their training etc etc). Research new tactics and weapons and formations etc. Research magic and train wizards\mages\priests.

What I want is a "monster" fantasy game. No rock paper scissors mechanics, but using an in depth ancient operational wargame mechanic for the combat, and throw in the grand strategy side and kingdom management.

Think Dom 3 with proper operational\grand tactical style combat and oodles of chrome.

I have a really great idea on how the combat will play out. Think top down view. Troops will be in blocks, colour will depend on unit type, shape will change depending on formation, size will also change depending on how many troops are in the unit. Also each will have a coat of arms next to it of it's commander. If you set a formation for the whole army (that you've already learnt and practiced in)then the blocks will arrange themselves into that formation (think those old Napoleonic wooden block games or drawings of sketched out by commanders on maps. Now your fromation will be as effective as the amount of training your troops have ha din it and also commander stats will come into play aswell both for the whole army (Top commander stats) down to each unit (say pikemen commander stats). Obviously there will be army formations and if you want you can set individual unit formations (handy in smaller battles or say if a unit gets isolated etc. You then set all the orders you want to your its as I mentioned further up. Then you let the battle play out (I think Histwar les Grignards does something similar). What you will see is the blcoks moving following your overall initial orders and also taking into account how good the commander is and how much experience the untis have etc etc. During the battle you will have three chances to issue new commands. Again the whole thing will play out and the results will all be down to the battlefield terrian\your formations\your training\your commanders\moral and your overall attack plans. or you can auto resolve.
nate25

RE: Request to Any Developers..

Post by nate25 »

I don't like fantasy/magic type stuff (but to each their own).

However I think a game about The Lord of The Rings like what you're talking about would be cool.

Those books got detailed about maps, weapons, etc. at times.

Just a thought. I don't know what getting permission to use those ideas would be like, probably expensive.
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Please does anyone want to develop a grog style fantasy game sort of the WITP or WITE fantasy game.

I for one would pounce on it. Make it dark and grim with as much realism as you can do taking into account it's a fantasy game. A sort of twisted middle ages, but make it a real big deep grog style game. Through in loads of chrome\lore\management\diplomacy\disasters (including angry gods)\massive battles (not RTS nonesense though, but every individual soldier\creature accounted for in the combat mechanics, you set the formations, choose the commanders\give them SOP's and overall orders\give your magic users a role in battle that suits their training etc etc). Research new tactics and weapons and formations etc. Research magic and train wizards\mages\priests.

What I want is a "monster" fantasy game. No rock paper scissors mechanics, but using an in depth ancient operational wargame mechanic for the combat, and throw in the grand strategy side and kingdom management.

Think Dom 3 with proper operational\grand tactical style combat and oodles of chrome.

I have a really great idea on how the combat will play out. Think top down view. Troops will be in blocks, colour will depend on unit type, shape will change depending on formation, size will also change depending on how many troops are in the unit. Also each will have a coat of arms next to it of it's commander. If you set a formation for the whole army (that you've already learnt and practiced in)then the blocks will arrange themselves into that formation (think those old Napoleonic wooden block games or drawings of sketched out by commanders on maps. Now your fromation will be as effective as the amount of training your troops have ha din it and also commander stats will come into play aswell both for the whole army (Top commander stats) down to each unit (say pikemen commander stats). Obviously there will be army formations and if you want you can set individual unit formations (handy in smaller battles or say if a unit gets isolated etc. You then set all the orders you want to your its as I mentioned further up. Then you let the battle play out (I think Histwar les Grignards does something similar). What you will see is the blcoks moving following your overall initial orders and also taking into account how good the commander is and how much experience the untis have etc etc. During the battle you will have three chances to issue new commands. Again the whole thing will play out and the results will all be down to the battlefield terrian\your formations\your training\your commanders\moral and your overall attack plans. or you can auto resolve.
Warspite1

No. Personally, I do not want any fantasy games; I want wargames; and specifcally MWIF PLEASE
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'm talking about a wargame in a fantasy setting. I wouldn't want magic to be a major aspect. Think a mix of Norse\Roman\High Fantasy\Classical creatures i.e minotaurs etc.

We have plenty of wargames here. We don't have a fantasy wargame and we certainly have never had what I envision here. Which is a major wargame in a fantasy\mythical\classical setting.

Sometimes it feels like people enjoy pissing on others cornflakes on forums. I wasn't after a debate or a poll. I was reaching out to a developer and to those who would enjoy this sort of game. Can't we have a thread about something original without everyone chiming in asking for a another WW2 or or atypical wargame.

If you want a game made make a thread for it.

If you read my post and see where I'm coming from you will see what I'm asking for is a WARGAME, though not one you'd have seen before.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Sounds nice.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Thanks mate. I can picture it in my head and I know it will be something that would appeal to not just fantasy gamers but wargamers aswell.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

So looks like you have been heard
wodin

Post by wodin »

All I want is someone to listen to me Doomtrader, it's all I've ever wanted.

Actually while your here, how about it? I will fill you on on the overall plan and your crew can develop and expand it;) You've got the Time of Fury engine, thats a basis to work on.
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Please does anyone want to develop a grog style fantasy game sort of the WITP or WITE fantasy game.

I can be very interested a game such as this if it would play like a Total War game with a strategic layer over a tactical battle layer.
What's with the negative waves?
wodin

Post by wodin »

No, no RTS 3D battles here. The two images show how I'd like the fighting to look like roughly, but the shapes will change depending on formation and the maoun of troops I.e Wedge formation the shape will become a wedge. Also different colours for different races\unit types. A cpat of arms next to each unit. All animated. Lets say a formation gets broken up then the shape will start to split up etc etc.

Attachments
pic443203.jpg
pic443203.jpg (136.5 KiB) Viewed 238 times
austerlitz..p_battle.jpg
austerlitz..p_battle.jpg (198.17 KiB) Viewed 238 times
pic443203.jpg
pic443203.jpg (136.5 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

I see. That is nothing like what I pictured. I never played anything like that before. Could be interesting. but if it is supposed to be fantasy based then what are the graphics to be like? You say no to 3d and I assume any battles would be turn based tactical? How would the units look? If they are shapes according to formations then fantasy base could really be anything without the units actually looking like what they represent? Curious.
What's with the negative waves?
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

wodin,

Such a game would require too many changes, so it is better to develop a new one.
Anyway developing the new game is an issue of market demand. If you think that people want something and will buy something, then you are creating a game. For an indie developer first unsuccessful project means also the last one.

Unfortunately I'm not a US citizen, so I can't start Kickstarter project so be sure there is an enough demand for such game.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Platoon Crusher

I see. That is nothing like what I pictured. I never played anything like that before. Could be interesting. but if it is supposed to be fantasy based then what are the graphics to be like? You say no to 3d and I assume any battles would be turn based tactical? How would the units look? If they are shapes according to formations then fantasy base could really be anything without the units actually looking like what they represent? Curious.

The images above are how I imagine the battles to look. If you read my post you will see you have no actual direct control of units as such. Similar to Dom 3. However you do set orders and formations and SOP's at the start of the battle to your unit commanders and overall plan to your Amry commander. You could also I suppose say have the chance lets say three times to give out urgent orders during the battle. The battle boils down to training\experience\moral\unit type\commander stats\initial orders and SOP's\pre battle intel even i.e if you know the land your fighting on or lets say your main army commander fought the enemy commander a few times before and beat him you could get a combat modifier which works both ways so it makes you think alot about your army commander and their abilities. Lets say you've been training this particular army in certain formations your effectiveness in percentage would go up with each unit to show that they are improving in that particular formation, new formations and tactics will come available over time through tech advancements and even captured enemy intel. Another coo, idea is that you may be able to make up your own formations and then train in them and then the time will come to see if your ideas work on the battelfield and if all the training was worth it, this would add alot of interest to the combat and give endless different combat styles and battlefield tactics.What your doing in sense is not rely on how good you are at a real time combat game but how good your kingdom is doing and how good your commanders are and tech and training etc all of which depend on how well your doing on the grand strategy part.

Each block will be colour coded to say what type they are. Also each unit will have a caot of arms which will distinguish the commander and race. Or even each block could have written on it the race and type of unit, or tooltips and pop ups could be used to give you more info i.e state of moral\troops remainig\effectievness etc. Also different races will be better at different types of combat. The combat will be sort of based on ancient to middle ages warfare. Some races may field lots of soldiers in one formation but not be disciplined whereas others may prefer fighting in smaller formations but be highly disciplined and more effective fighters. Lots to think about and endless possibilities all to make the combat exciting\interesting and very strategy\tactical based even though during the actual combat you have little actual hands on input as it gets underway.

The main game is grand strategy an would obviously look different to the pics above. Those are how I imagine you'd see the battle play out.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

So is each small block a Division? They seemed too few to be battalions. As that was a large battle with several corps on each side.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

It sounds really interesting but my concern with this idea is that it seems to be one persons perfect game (which is what it is!) and that often means its pushed in to a very specific niche. The number of people who want to play a mega game is relatively small, and of those what percentage want a fantasy setting? My guess is that most people who want a mega game want a historical one. E.g. for me I'd like a fantasy strategy game but not one on this scale. It's just too much to handle and I'd never find the time to play turns. I think it targets a niche within a niche so would struggle to sell and be very hard to make its money back. Also the cost of developing a mega game is significantly higher than other games so you have to make more money so the combination of smaller audience and more development costs make this a game that is only likely to be made by a fan as a labour of love in my opinion, but I've been wrong before!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

I would like to see the old Battles of Napoleon by SSI get new life breathed into it.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

4x fantasy game with the kind of hardcoreness of WITE\WITP

It would have to be 100% historically accurate and realistic. I mean, red dragons that are supposed to be able to fly 30 mph and breathe fire up to 100m had better be able to do that, else the game totally falls apart and is unplayable. And then there's the play balance issues... [:'(]
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

Wodin, a game that sprung to mind reading through your explanation was Hegemony Philip of Macedon, its obviously not a high fantasy themed game but has a lot of what you have discribed in your game although not as in depth and this plays out in pauseable realtime wher i think you prefered turn based.
I always wished someone would have modded a Lord Of The Rings version of it or a high fantasy type with a more open ended 4x style, anyway check it out.
kafka

Post by kafka »

Unfortunately I'm not a US citizen, so I can't start Kickstarter project so be sure there is an enough demand for such game.

actually there are quite a few projects by non-US developers on kickstarter, i.e.

Legends of Pegasus by a Aterdux, a Belorus indie developer

in any case, I would certainly support such a project, a TW kind of game with operational level battles would be a dream come true

kafka

Post by kafka »

btw Hegemony Philip of Macedon by Longbow is indeed a great game though I prefer TB too, the sequel Hegemony Rome is in development and due this summer

Return to “General Discussion”