scewed-up saved games

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
henri51

scewed-up saved games

Post by henri51 »

The saved game system in this game is driving me nuts. A number of times when I continue a campaign that I had interrupted in the middle of a battle, i am brought back to the operational map BEFORE that battle started, and more than once I have lost hours of game time.[:@]

Why the heck can't the game be saved as for every other game, that is by pressing a save button and giving the file a name? In addition to this hassle, if one makes a mistake, it is generally not possible to come back to an earlier situation, except to quickly quit the game and hope that when one reloads, it will restart at something close to a previous situation.

This game is not getting the attention it deserves because of its arcane interface, but c'mon guys, implementing a normal saved game is not really that difficult is it? I will have to give up my AAR in the AAR section because my game is now screwed up due to this "bug".

Henri
shrek

RE: scewed-up saved games

Post by shrek »

I feel your pain. A couple of nights ago I tried to save and got a "critical error" crash to desktop and nothing was saved. For that matter, I've gotten these crashes in the middle of the game serveral times, usually right when my forces are starting to win the battle. An AI cheat perhaps? [8|]
henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: shrek

I feel your pain. A couple of nights ago I tried to save and got a "critical error" crash to desktop and nothing was saved. For that matter, I've gotten these crashes in the middle of the game serveral times, usually right when my forces are starting to win the battle. An AI cheat perhaps? [8|]

I haven't had any crashes at all in my games, in many hours of play, but this saved game behavior bothers me almost as much. The two are related I guess, because not being able to save and coming back at any point means that if you get a crash, you could be up the creek.

Henri
TonyUk

Post by TonyUk »

You have to create a new profile for each saved game, then it works.
henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: TonyUk

You have to create a new profile for each saved game, then it works.

Since your profile keeps a record of your achievements, creating a new profile for each saved game ensures that one will have no record, and makes it difficult if not impossible to retrace the progress of the game.

Henri
TonyUk

Post by TonyUk »

I should have said a new profile for each scenario or campaign. It is weird I know, and should be
designed better than this. Also be aware that even if you go into game options just to have a look at your settings, the saved game disappears.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Is there any way to save the ...er...save files? Has anyone figured out what and where these files might exist?

Also, is there a way to save ingame without the save and exit?

How does one create another profile?

I do love this game though, warts and all.

Thanks,
mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

This Save game silliness is really too bad. Such a terrific game, but the inability to do *basic* things like, say, Save your game and then keep playing without having to restart -- or being able to access more than just the most recent save game -- just baffling.

Also, is Graviteam aware of the bug by which your save games disappear if you access the Options in the menu - ?!? THat would be nice to fix.

From what i can tell, saved games seem to be saved in:
APOS\users\profiles\[random folders with crazy names -- one of mine is literally "717569636B626174746C652070726F66696C652072656B" -again, ?!?]

...no idea how one might use this as a workaround for accessing 'lost' saved games --
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

There I was just about ready to take the plunge... [:'(] It's back to the deckchairs for me!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I don't know Nick. Sure the water is a tad cold and the fat lady with the arm floatation rings, shower cap, and over sized raft keeps getting in everyone's way, but sitting poolside looking at family photos of the retired couples trip to Wicker Chair Land while the bleached yellow hair Cabana Boy pushes fruity drinks for tips aint exactly fun either.

It is a good game despite some glaring problems.

Plus, 4 out of 5 Canucks approve of APOS, which is quite a lot, even for our good friends up North.

mo
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

Well, the price looks pretty reasonable so I can put up with a few floaters. ...and it looks like chubby chops has a couple of fine bikini clad nieces dipping in their toes over by the skimmer. Geronimo!!!! [:D]
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

You'll be Michael Phelps before you know it, without the bong of course.

Seriously, it takes a bit to get used to but well worth it in the long run. Some of the visuals are worth the price of admission alone.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

mo reb
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

No bong???? That's it, I'm out...
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

Aw, he was just cutting back on ciggies [8D] I'll put some time aside this weekend and give it a few laps. I dug up a 78 page tactics manual that might help me get started. The fat lady has left the pool, but the babes are coming back - and bringing beer!

Thanks, there is a helpful crowd here [:)]
neofit

Post by neofit »

The lack of a save feature in the previous iteration, "Achtung Panzer - Kharkov 1943" was driving me crazy, and I never managed to finish a single campaign. So it appears that the Graviteam people still do not know how to save a game? If I cannot interrupt a mission without having to restart it, recover from a misclick or, silly notion, try different ways to play around the same situation for fun - no sale. Thank you thread for saving me money and frustration :).
Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn »

Having played 2 campaigns so far, no problems at all with the savegames. Maybe there is a bug in the savegame process that triggers under some circumstances.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: neofit

The lack of a save feature in the previous iteration, "Achtung Panzer - Kharkov 1943" was driving me crazy, and I never managed to finish a single campaign. So it appears that the Graviteam people still do not know how to save a game? If I cannot interrupt a mission without having to restart it, recover from a misclick or, silly notion, try different ways to play around the same situation for fun - no sale. Thank you thread for saving me money and frustration :).

I can't disagree with your reservations and concerns. I haven't had any problems, yet I do wish they would do something with the saved games.
seamount

Post by seamount »

i bought the game, not installed yet.

so, has the "save game" be solved ?
may I save the game and restart from the last save ?
otherwise i will think twice before "investing" my time in it
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

Yes,you can save games.This issue was resolved about 8 months ago.

Just make sure that after every update you change your profile name and delete the old one,otherwise you may have problems with older campaigns still in progress that don't work well with the new updates.

Also some mods do not work well during campaign games and may effect the save game also(the uniform mod doesn't work well with campaigns and will effect your ability to save games)If you start a campaign disable all mods in the updater.

There are still some bugs in the save game that may in some instances be a minor issue,but I find that after I complete a campaign and change my profile name and delete the old one that I never have an issue saving a game in the middle of a campaign.

I've had a couple crashes to desktop,but I think mostly that stems from power surges or windows 7 updates that don't like this game for some reason.

But all in all save games isn't really an issue for me anymore.
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

[Repost sorry

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”