Amphibious Attacks

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

Chocolino

Amphibious Attacks

Post by Chocolino »

I think it is great that amphibious attacks in ToF appear to be very successful. (Though in my current Fall Gelb PBEM I am definitely on the receiving end of this feature). But I think it makes for a very interesting game with more options for either player and increases playability.

But here is my question:

How is the outcome of an amphibious attack on a defended city (or other defended hex) calculated? The combat reports show that a successful amphibian attacks can happened at 1:1 odds and that the defender does not suffer any losses at all. And yet, the defending unit is destroyed and replaced with the amphibious attacker. So regular land combat is apparently not applied here (even though the reports imply this). That is ok - after all it is not regular land combat. Just want to find out how it works and if it is even useful to have a strong defender in coastal cities or is the outcome just a random chance of success?

Maybe it would be also good to show the real outcome of amphibious attacks in the reports so that it is possible to figure out what actually happened in PBEM.
JLPOWELL

RE: Amphibious Attacks

Post by JLPOWELL »

You make some very good points. In addition tt would be great to see the possible landing hexes, as currently there is no way to identify them as the defender at all (sigh [:(]). And your comment regarding PBEM is very valid. An unsuccessful landing attempt would like as not go completely unnoticed by the defender (they could win a great defensive victory and never even know a battle happened...)
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"

Return to “Time of Fury”