Another word about reloads

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Mike29

Another word about reloads

Post by Mike29 »

Dear developers,

is it really complicated to exclude possibility of reloading during PBEM game? Technically I mean. For example, to add optional regime to save game only when turn ended? I think most of players would be happy with this.
Mike29

RE: Another word about reloads

Post by Mike29 »

Sorry I posted this in AARs thread, please replace it if possible.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

I, for one, wouldn't be able to play the game under those circumstances. It usually takes me between 8-12 hours to play a turn, and my gaming time is broken up into 1-2 hour blocks of time, with the turns are played on either of two different computers (home and work). Obviously, it would be impossible for me to ever completely play a turn, since saving it would then end my turn.

From a technical standpoint, what is needed is a server check for time stamps and file identifying hash marks when the turn is saved at each intermediate save point. Then, another server check when the turn is loaded, to prevent reloading of an earlier save point, and thus preventing being able to replay some portion of the turn. In my opinion, this is what the Slitherine Server system should be modified to accomodate.

What isn't, and shouldn't be, a problem is the loading of any number of sequential, non-overlapping save points, so that a player can play out a turn over multiple sittings. Expecting and forcing players to play out a complex game's turn in an unrealistically short amount of time is self-defeating. As an option to speed players, I've got no problems with it, though I would never be able to play this particular game under such conditions.
Mike29

Post by Mike29 »

Yes, I understand this, especially for Soviet side. But we discussed this problem with some other guys and think that better not turn-off the computer between sessions than play with temptation to reload key attack. May be such option shall be adjustable? For example, player may choose how much intermediary saves he can do - 1 or 3 before end of turn?

James, what news BTW? How is the pocket?
Mike29

Post by Mike29 »

I do not want to reload, and I want to be sure that my partner don't do it as well.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Mike29

James, what news BTW? How is the pocket?
It doesn't look like I can break this one, but that's why I left the airbase in Makeevka last turn. The pocket will receive Airhead supply at least, so it gives my guys a little hope...[;)]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

No.

Same reasons as JAMiAM.

And I'm not going to leave the machine on when I move onto something else.

And what is to stop someone from going to their email and d/l the attachment over and over? Or just re installing it from whatever file it was d/l to in the first place.

And if you're really desperate, uninstall/reinstall the game.

In short, if you can't trust your opponent, stick with the AI.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

When I play on my laptop on the road I lose connection quite often which leads me to losing turns midway through. I am sure something like this would keep me from playing on the road entirely.

Mike29

Post by Mike29 »

As I think it should be optional, like random or non-random weather and lock of HQ support. It's always up to player what regime to use.

Return to “After Action Reports”