Dune Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

KEYSTONE07950

Dune Universe

Post by KEYSTONE07950 »

New to the game. Has anyone worked up a mod for the Dune Universe?
I support the right to arm bears!
Jon Micheelsen

RE: Dune Universe

Post by Jon Micheelsen »

I have thought about it, but I don't think anyone have done it no. It would be awesome, but within the current modding possibilities it would not be possible to make it true to that universe - as in you can't make one planet with a resource that you cannot travel super fast without. Also there are no space folding techs, where you travel without moving, but rather instant jump form A to B. No tech modding is currently available other than some graphic/icon/sound changing and tech renaming. Same applies for resources.
It is however quite possible to make an all human houses - no aliens - universe with political interaction settings quite Dune'ish. I suppose one could maybe set the hyperspeed generic setting extremely high and rename the current race special hyper drive to something CHOAM guild like and possibly make the general hyperdrive tech tree unavailable in the forbidden tech list in the race files. Hyperdrive then renamed to some spicy fold space sounding thing could then be a guild only tech, that could be traded or stolen by spies, and all other travel would be limited to the non hyper propulsion systems - that would take forever!!!! Still a spice resource as a fold space requirement would not quite work - maybe if it was made over one of the resources required by a base to build a hyperdrive component in a ship...?!

Hmmm... What say the rest of the modders? This could be an awesome mod!!

KEYSTONE, since you are new, I know I must have baffled you in information here, sorry about that[:(] Thanks for fueling a brainstorm however[;)]
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

And we already got the sand worms [:D]

Data

Post by Data »

Still, if you can mod no-ships it will be an instant grab for me [&o]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Oh, Dune 2 was one of my most played games when I was kid.
Haven't read any Dune novels thought I've always planned to. Need to fix that at some point in the future.
From my understanding the Dune universe concentrates more on terrestrial happenings than to space. Still, would be interesting to see a mod about Dune in DW.

As a side note:
I really, really hope that Emperor: Battle for Dune comes to GOG in the future.
Just listening to its music makes me remember the good old days. I miss you, Westwood.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

Return to “Design and Modding”