I need advice on HQ Buildup

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

csarebel

I need advice on HQ Buildup

Post by csarebel »

Hi everyone, I am playing the GC as Axis against Soviet AI. It is still July and I have broken through the soviet lines around Smolensk. Only 100 mile between me and a meeting with Stalin himself.

Problem is I am very low on supplies at the front lines. I want to do the HQ Buildup thingy but it isn't an option for my most important HQs (my Panzer groups). Any idea why that might be?
Grouchy

RE: I need advice on HQ Buildup

Post by Grouchy »

The distance to the railhead could be too great. Or did you move your Corps?
csarebel

Post by csarebel »

I did not move my HQ unit. So it must be distance from the rail head.

How close do you need to be? I could not find anything in the manual on that aspect, only that HQ units cannot move.
Grouchy

Post by Grouchy »

It's not in the orignal manual but you can find it in the updated Manual [US letter]:

6) Rule Change (section 20.6) - HQ supply buildups are not allowed for HQ's that are more than 20 MPs from their railhead at the moment the HQ buildup is ordered. In addition, the AP cost of an HQ buildup is now increased by the distance in MPs of the HQ from a railhead divided by 3 (truncated). So for an HQ with 3 attached divisions that is 16 MPs from a supply source, the AP cost would be 5+2+2+2+(16/3) =16 (used to be just 11). This increased AP cost is used to calculate the other buildup penalties described in section 20.6.3 in the manual.
csarebel

Post by csarebel »

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

It's not in the orignal manual but you can find it in the updated Manual [US letter]:

6) Rule Change (section 20.6) - HQ supply buildups are not allowed for HQ's that are more than 20 MPs from their railhead at the moment the HQ buildup is ordered. In addition, the AP cost of an HQ buildup is now increased by the distance in MPs of the HQ from a railhead divided by 3 (truncated). So for an HQ with 3 attached divisions that is 16 MPs from a supply source, the AP cost would be 5+2+2+2+(16/3) =16 (used to be just 11). This increased AP cost is used to calculate the other buildup penalties described in section 20.6.3 in the manual.

Thank you so much!!! BTW how do we get the updated Manual? Does it update automatically? Game tells me I have the latest update but I didtn't see the 20 MPs part.
Grouchy

Post by Grouchy »

In the game directory there is a subdir called 'manuals'. It's in there.
csarebel

Post by csarebel »

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

In the game directory there is a subdir called 'manuals'. It's in there.

It isn't on the load up screen but it is there in the directory. However I am unable to open that 1 manual. The rest open. :(
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

That explains pretty well why HQ buildup does not work at all in my campaign game. Railheads too far away, of course.
Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”