Should I buy this game?

Unity of Command lets you replay the epic conflict that was the Stalingrad Campaign of World War II. In this turn-based game of strategy and cunning, observe how opportunity leads the German army to advance recklessly into the steppes of southern Russia. And as the story unfolds, join the Soviet campaign to repel the invaders... As these legendary battles play out on the hex board, the tension of decision making and difficulties of conducting operations on a massive scale emerge. Command armies and fronts in maneuver warfare, thrust and encircle, capture cities and cross continents; but never, ever forget to watch your supply lines. The Red Turn expansion ads a gigantic Soviet expansion centered on the Kursk campaign.

Moderators: 2xTom, 2xPelin

GaryChildress

Should I buy this game?

Post by GaryChildress »

I have a 50% off coupon and am trying to decide which game to get with it. So far I'm hung between War in the East, Unity of Command or maybe one of the Decisive Battles games. How do people like this game so far? I was a little put off by the graphics I saw in AAR screenshots. Not a big fan of moving heads around on a screen. Other than that the game looks kind of interesting.

What are other people's opinions of this game?

Thanks for helping me decide! [:)]
Astyreal

RE: Should I buy this game?

Post by Astyreal »

This game is only $30 so for that reason alone, I'd pick a different title.

Game is great though!

[&o]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

The game is easily worth $30 (imo) - it's a no brainer at $15...but I'd echo what Asty said - use your coupon on something more expensive - 'cos this is worth the ticket (again - imo)

Were you not thinking about picking up GG WitE? If so - I'd use the coupon on that to get a nice fat saving [:D]
Alba gu' brath
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Where does one ever get a 50% coupon from matrix:)
gdrover

Post by gdrover »

Played the first 5 battles yesterday.

REALLY like this game. Very playable, but with a great feel for the period and the battles.
Each battle was accurate, and often tense.
Trying to achieve the victory conditions in a timely fashion in order to gain the most prestige (which you then use as currency to purchase critical unit upgrades, replacements, or reinforcements for future battles) is a fun mechanic.

The campaign mode is fun, but I would like to also play a much longer grand campaign so that there was even more continuity. Perhaps there could be a grand campaign for each Army Group: North, Center, and South.

Over-all, this is a GREAT system, and loads of fun. I wouldn't miss it if I were you.

GMoney
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

I bought the Panzer Corps 1939 and 1940 expansion campaigns and there was some kind of glitch in their delivery (of the physical copies) that caused the delivery to be late. So Matrix generously gave me and others effected by the mishap a 50% off coupon toward any game. Very generous IMO. [:)]
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I bought the Panzer Corps 1939 and 1940 expansion campaigns and there was some kind of glitch in their delivery (of the physical copies) that caused the delivery to be late. So Matrix generously gave me and others effected by the mishap a 50% off coupon toward any game. Very generous IMO. [:)]

Nice..certainly a good deal.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I think this game is an absolute buy! I'm enjoying this game more than any that I have bought in a long time. It has a few things that could be improved as all games do, but the fun is definitely there. It's an amazing first game from a small developer and I hope that it has great sales so they can keep improving this game and develop others.  
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

That was very generous.
budd

Post by budd »

Wait for the holiday sale, usually starts right after Thanksgiving.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Wait for the holiday sale, usually starts right after Thanksgiving.
doubt it would be there.$30 is pretty cheap anyways,Im sure its worth it.
budd

Post by budd »

no it won't be in the sale, matrix doesn't put new releases in the sale,but i'd use the 50% off on a bigger ticket game that might be in the sale. I believe I read where he went with WITE for the coupon.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

Been watching this and other threads and went ahead and got this along with Hannibal vs Rome which I've heard is really difficult. Both look like something I can play on my laptop which is only a dual core and has a Radeon 4250 in it. I just relocated and my stuff hasn't arrived so im stuck in a hotel with just my laptop. Been playing PanzerCorps hooked up to the LCD TV with a HDMI cable. Looks nice.

Im now wondering how this and other games will run on a tablet.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

no it won't be in the sale, matrix doesn't put new releases in the sale,but i'd use the 50% off on a bigger ticket game that might be in the sale. I believe I read where he went with WITE for the coupon.

Yeah. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on WitE. No big deal. It was 50% off so I'm happy--holiday sale or not. [:)]
gdrover

Post by gdrover »

Three of my favorite games:

Panzer Corps

Hannibal

Unity of Command

Really enjoying all three of these recently. Can't go wrong buying any of these as an early Christmas gift to yourself. :)
GMoney
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

If you're at all interested in the subject, I would use the coupon on War in the East. UOC is a great game and I'd definitely recommend it, but the price-point is low enough compared to Matrix's other games that you can use the coupon on a different game instead.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: Kipper

That was very generous.

It's what makes Matrix Games a superb firm!!!
Kudos to Matrix.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

This one gets a definite thumbs up from me. I'm sick of WWII games and generally don't much care for the Eastern Front anyway, but I picked up this game on a whim based on the positive posts here. And I'm enjoying it immensely.

The interface is the best, most orginal, I've seen in a very long time. There are several "I wonder why everyone doesn't do this" items, such as pop-up objectives and supply sources. Elegant is the best word for it.

I'm still on the introductory scenario but I really having a great time.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Ok after reading only praisings for this game I have purchased it, done the tutorial and the Crimea scenario and it looks fun.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

Return to “Unity of Command Series”