Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps?

Unity of Command lets you replay the epic conflict that was the Stalingrad Campaign of World War II. In this turn-based game of strategy and cunning, observe how opportunity leads the German army to advance recklessly into the steppes of southern Russia. And as the story unfolds, join the Soviet campaign to repel the invaders... As these legendary battles play out on the hex board, the tension of decision making and difficulties of conducting operations on a massive scale emerge. Command armies and fronts in maneuver warfare, thrust and encircle, capture cities and cross continents; but never, ever forget to watch your supply lines. The Red Turn expansion ads a gigantic Soviet expansion centered on the Kursk campaign.

Moderators: 2xPelin, 2xTom

Grim.Reaper

Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps?

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Guys, not sure if this type of thread is allowed, but if you only had enough money and time for either Unity of Command or Panzer Corp, which would you choose? I am on the fence with both games and would be interested in your thoughts as to why you would choose one over the other. And purchasing both is not an option:)

If this thread is not allowed, mods feel free to remove.
stormbringer3

RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps?

Post by stormbringer3 »

I have both games including the Panzer Corps DLCs. I have played Panzer Corps almost every day until I bought Unity of Command. Panzer Corps will give you a lot longer game play since there are many more scenarios and campaigns, but I'm impressed with the AI in Unity of Command. When I watch its moves, most of the time I think "that's what I'd do." I find Unity of Command more challenging unless you go above the General difficulty level in Panzer Corps. I'll probably be alone here but, I was more impressed initially playing Unity of Command than Panzer Corps. I hope this game sells well as I can see great possibilities as they can add to an already great game. As you can see, I didn't pick out one over the other for you, I thought I'd give my impressions of the two to help you in your decision.  
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Guys, not sure if this type of thread is allowed, but if you only had enough money and time for either Unity of Command or Panzer Corp, which would you choose? I am on the fence with both games and would be interested in your thoughts as to why you would choose one over the other. And purchasing both is not an option:)

If this thread is not allowed, mods feel free to remove.

That's a great question and I'm eagerly watching this thread...
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Something I've noticed from the one scenario I played was that the AI (in that scenario at least) attempted to create a defensive wall - replacing hit units with one with more strength...if this is indeed happening (just because I saw it once, doesn't mean it's programmed in specifically) then it's something I'm pleased about. I'm currently playing Road to Leningrad in WitE and whilst I've had a challenge (more due to my screw ups) on the way to the objectives, I've just performed recon on Leningrad and there are 3 stack units in and around Leningrad - so the AI seems more like the normal "defend the objectives" at all costs, as opposed to moving into a position to slow down the advance - which is what I observed in my one scenario so far.

Now 1 scenario and my observations don't make a good AI - as stormbringer says - I looked at it moving units to slow down my advance and I thought that was something I would do...that's not something that's in Panzer Corps. Panzer Corps will come to get you if it detects your unit is open for attack...otherwise it'll just sit in it's key points on the map.

Panzer Corps has more in the way of units and alot of information...but I like the way you can enhance units with abilities - like Engineer or AT. I also like the options you get every turn - 4 Close Support attacks, extend your supply by 1 etc...again, only 1 scenario in so no indepth knowledge about this - I just like the mechanic.

As for choosing one over the other - I haven't nearly played enough of this to make that choice.

Alba gu' brath
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

I haven't bough UoC yet, so I'm watching threads like this with interest. I did buy Panzer Corps but stopped playing on Day One because the AI offers no significant challenge (I prefer to play games in single-player mode). If UoC really does offer a good single-player experience, then I'll certainly buy it.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

This is great feedback guys, really appreciate it.  Part of me is leaning towards Unity because of something new and fresh, but I'll continue to take a look at the comments before I pull the trigger:)  Thanks again!
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Javolenus,
Unity of Command definitely offers a single-player challenge! I've only played PC games in the single-player mode.
2xAnte

Post by 2xAnte »

AI tries to position most appropriate units on enemy routes to objectives. To decide which unit to place where AI uses unit move points and strength, is unit dig, terrain of possible locations, rivers, bridges, ...
If possible units are grouped in line (defensive).

In smaller scenarios it is quite common to see replacing of units in defensive line.
In larger scenarios, with more space, mostly it will move whole line, sometimes placed from front line to make ZOCs.
Ante Turudić
Unity of Command, AI
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

The interface is a joy by the way
Alba gu' brath
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

The interface is a joy by the way

You are getting me closer to pulling the trigger. I'm just not sure about those figurines / busts? I really prefer Nato Symbols...
Tony
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I'm kinda partial to a good bust myself.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

I have both games.

I bought Panzer Corp because I played Panzer Gerneral to death when it came out. Hours on end spent in that game.
Panzer Corp is a great redo of Panzer General.... but it's the same..... this is both good and bad.

U of C is very new and very refreshing in the way it's presented and how it works. The UI is fantastic. The game play is very smooth and fluid.

I've had UofC for a only few days and have already I've played way more than Panzer Corp which I've had for a while....

[8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I'm kinda partial to a good bust myself.

Keep your mind on the game [:-]
Tony
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

The fact that the Tech Support thread is almost empty is a good sign.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

The fact that the Tech Support thread is almost empty is a good sign.

Excellent point...probably the quietest tech forum I have ever seen....impressive.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

There have been mentions of the AI making kamakazi style breaks through your lines.

Tis true - it does seem to lunge - but what I noticed is because it does it, I am having to back track constantly to repair my supply lines - which are very important - out of supply units will not be able to fight after 1 turn...so you really need to keep your supply lines open - and the fact the AI constantly tries to break them I think personally is a good thing.

Perhaps it's true it's a wee bit kamakazi - but it's definitely something I would do (but then I'm no Patton!). And it doesn't seem to weaken it's hold on objectives much by doing so.

This is the first scenario in the German campaign, and look what the AI has done. This is turn 6 and I haven't captured anything. Not only that, but some units are out of supply and can't fight. Now if I don't divert forces away from the front and deal with the Russian units that have broken my supply lines, they'll just probably potter about making a bad situation worse.

So yes - the Russian units are somewhat "out there" - but I do have to take essential units away from my drive to deal with them

Again - I'm not a great player and I haven't read the manual, but the AI has severely bloodied my nose in this opening scenario...so I think I'll go and read the manual.

Attachments
Snap5.jpg
Snap5.jpg (426.9 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Alba gu' brath
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Well I'm just about ready to buy this game from following this thread now. Should of been raking leaves...
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

About the busts by the way - they are not my choice of graphic and the graphics were the one reason I was going to hold off - but in actual fact when you see the other graphics, the busts just "fit"...it's strange - but they actually fit with the rest of the graphical interface and so don't actually end up being an issue anyway - for me at least.

I will be looking forward to some NATO symbols (which they are currently working on for the first update I believe) - but I'm not too fussed at present. I expect given the graphical style used in the rest of the game that they will be great looking
Alba gu' brath
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

About the busts by the way - they are not my choice of graphic and the graphics were the one reason I was going to hold off - but in actual fact when you see the other graphics, the busts just "fit"...it's strange - but they actually fit with the rest of the graphical interface and so don't actually end up being an issue anyway - for me at least.

I will be looking forward to some NATO symbols (which they are currently working on for the first update I believe) - but I'm not too fussed at present. I expect given the graphical style used in the rest of the game that they will be great looking

Well, I better go and get my credit card and get this over with.. You have my curiosity up!!
Tony
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I eventually won that scenario - but I didn't have many units left. On top of that, I didn't get any Prestige because I didn't capture the objectives by the required turn (I think that's why I didn't get Prestige).

From my limited play of it, it seems winning isn't the issue - but winning well is difficult...we'll see.

I might do an AAR tomorrow once I've read the manual. Then I have to get back to testing.
Alba gu' brath

Return to “Unity of Command Series”