Panic moves and the price of haste.

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Hermann

Panic moves and the price of haste.

Post by Hermann »

I came into the WITE experience as a complete nOobinski despite years of gaming in the Grognard fashion. One of the graces of wargaming, espicially SPI and Europa is the vagueness of rules and the ability to work out discrepancies face to face. Everything from interpretation to gentlemens agreements when presented with unusual situations. One of the core drawbacks to games like WITE ( an absolutely wonderful game btw ) is that youre stuck with whatever is presented you even if its an obvious fluke or god forbid historically incorrect. I recently logged in to find everything from smolensk to cherkassy out of supply and upon investigating further discovered that i had been pocketed somehow. After sending out the red airforce on dozens of fruitless recon missions and despite a plethora of alert cavalry types and a functionong spy network I was unable to find the germans that were cutting me off and realised that there werent any. A lone motorised unit had run out and done a ZOC pocket then ran back to his lines. Despite the fact that there was a 10 hex gap between the nearest pocketing units every friendly hex within 800 square miles reverted to the enemy and all rail lines were broken as well for hundreds of miles. lot of damage there for a single understrength mot unit. 60 plus divisions, 2 air amies etc.. pocketed by air. Think theres a problem with the way the game system handles hex control. A zoc block should have an active zoc at turns end to force hex turnover on that scale. Either way i did the usual panic move and was nearly done when my stupid comp did an auto update and shut down. That brings me to the point of this post. I waited a few days and really thought out the situation and was able to restore it to a degree. My advice when presented with a difficult situation is to take a few screenies, save the game and work it out on your own time before trying to play it out.

Return to “The War Room”