Rumania and Bessarabia

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Centuur

Rumania and Bessarabia

Post by Centuur »

While trying to understand how Vassal does things, I'm playing a solitaire game there. Now, something has happened, which probably won't happen to anybody else (are the dice in Vassal loaded?)...

The USSR claimed Bessarabia (SO 1939, with a very aggressive Axis play due to very nice weather, so no problems with regards to US entry). The Germans denied the claim, since the USSR probably wasn't able to get units into Rumania in the impulses remaining in the turn (a little gamble on their part with Zhukov on the border, however to end the turn in this allied impulse a 6 had to be rolled, and if there was going to be another one than the Axis could end the turn by passing and rolling a 9 or lower...), so the USSR went to war with the Rumanian army over Bessarabia. They got a two attacks on the 2D10 table (+ 10) and rolled two times: 2 (statistic complete out of the way, but this was the result...). They needed a breakthrough result on one of those attacks to enter Rumania, the other one should empty a hex in Bessarabia. However, no losses on both sides, and all attackers flipped and no Soviet units in Bessarabia, since the attacks were aimed at killing Rumanian Corps set up on the border in Bessarabia...
I guess Zhukov & Co. did a strike or something. Someone should be shot...
The USSR airforce wasn't on strike however and bombed the Ploesti oil fields with significant damage (2 Oil points lost).

Of course, the turn ended an impulse later (Axis not passing, why would they, with the complete Russian army flipped on the border), and peace was declared by Germany, reverting Rumania back to it's neutral status with Bessarabia still in Rumanian hands...

Now, I got a little confused, since I'm getting the impression that in N/D 1939 the USSR might claim Bessarabia again: here is RAW:

Rumania denies the claim
If Rumania denies the USSR’s claim, the USSR must immediately
declare war on Rumania.
Germany can enforce a peace between Rumania and the USSR during
any peace step if:
• no hex of Rumania, outside of Bessarabia, is Soviet controlled;
and
• Germany and the USSR are not at war.
If Rumania and the USSR come to peace:
• Rumania again becomes a neutral minor country;
• the USSR keeps control of Bessarabia provided there is a Soviet
land unit anywhere in Bessarabia; and
• Germany can declare Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria aligned
with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war steps.
If the USSR conquers Rumania:
• Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any
later Axis declaration of war step; and
• Bulgaria can never align with Germany but the USSR can
declare it aligned with the USSR during any later Allied
declaration of war step.
While Rumania and the USSR are at war:
Axis declaration of war step; and
• Bulgaria can not align with either Germany or the USSR.

End of RAW...

No where in the rules is written that the USSR isn't allowed to do so. If Finland comes te peace, the USSR isn't allowed to DOW Finland again. With Rumania that doesn't seem te be the case. Is this correct?

Of course, as Germany I can prevent this from happening by aligning Rumania (it is now the first impulse of ND 1939, and Axis got the initiative), but than I don't get Antonescu for free, since he's coming in 1940... I would prefer to wait, but if the USSR is really capable of repeating this action, I will align Rumania now.

So: am I seeing things right that the USSR is able to again claim Bessarabia in the next Allied Impulse?
Peter
Red Prince

RE: Rumania and Bessarabia

Post by Red Prince »

I sure hope not! But I'm going to let one of the gurus actually answer the question. It does make me wonder how MWiF handles the situations, though.

(Pretty sure I know the answer for MWiF -- no way does the USSR get a 2nd chance to claim Bessarabia -- but I've never examined the RAW for this exact situation like you just did).
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

While trying to understand how Vassal does things, I'm playing a solitaire game there. Now, something has happened, which probably won't happen to anybody else (are the dice in Vassal loaded?)...

The USSR claimed Bessarabia (SO 1939, with a very aggressive Axis play due to very nice weather, so no problems with regards to US entry). The Germans denied the claim, since the USSR probably wasn't able to get units into Rumania in the impulses remaining in the turn (a little gamble on their part with Zhukov on the border, however to end the turn in this allied impulse a 6 had to be rolled, and if there was going to be another one than the Axis could end the turn by passing and rolling a 9 or lower...), so the USSR went to war with the Rumanian army over Bessarabia. They got a two attacks on the 2D10 table (+ 10) and rolled two times: 2 (statistic complete out of the way, but this was the result...). They needed a breakthrough result on one of those attacks to enter Rumania, the other one should empty a hex in Bessarabia. However, no losses on both sides, and all attackers flipped and no Soviet units in Bessarabia, since the attacks were aimed at killing Rumanian Corps set up on the border in Bessarabia...
I guess Zhukov & Co. did a strike or something. Someone should be shot...
The USSR airforce wasn't on strike however and bombed the Ploesti oil fields with significant damage (2 Oil points lost).

Of course, the turn ended an impulse later (Axis not passing, why would they, with the complete Russian army flipped on the border), and peace was declared by Germany, reverting Rumania back to it's neutral status with Bessarabia still in Rumanian hands...

Now, I got a little confused, since I'm getting the impression that in N/D 1939 the USSR might claim Bessarabia again: here is RAW:

Rumania denies the claim
If Rumania denies the USSR’s claim, the USSR must immediately
declare war on Rumania.
Germany can enforce a peace between Rumania and the USSR during
any peace step if:
• no hex of Rumania, outside of Bessarabia, is Soviet controlled;
and
• the USSR keeps control of Bessarabia provided there is a Soviet
land unit anywhere in Bessarabia; and
• Germany can declare Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria aligned
with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war steps.
later Axis declaration of war step; and
• Bulgaria can never align with Germany but the USSR can
declare it aligned with the USSR during any later Allied
declaration of war step.
Axis declaration of war step; and

End of RAW...

No where in the rules is written that the USSR isn't allowed to do so. If Finland comes te peace, the USSR isn't allowed to DOW Finland again. With Rumania that doesn't seem te be the case. Is this correct?

Of course, as Germany I can prevent this from happening by aligning Rumania (it is now the first impulse of ND 1939, and Axis got the initiative), but than I don't get Antonescu for free, since he's coming in 1940... I would prefer to wait, but if the USSR is really capable of repeating this action, I will align Rumania now.

So: am I seeing things right that the USSR is able to again claim Bessarabia in the next Allied Impulse?
What is the problem?

If the USSR 'claims' Bessarabia a second time (although they already control it) Germany just grants the claim. End of problem.

---

The real risk appears to be that the USSR might DOW Rumania. Now that seems to be permitted by the rules. Therefore, Germany should align Rumania to prevent its occurrence.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

No, they USSR doesn't control Bessarabia, since there wasn't a Russian unit inside Bessarabia or Rumania when Germany enforced the peace...
I'm just wondering, if it is allowed for the USSR to claim Bessarabia a second time. If it is (and it sure looks like), it is a little strange...

Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
What is the problem?

If the USSR 'claims' Bessarabia a second time (although they already control it) Germany just grants the claim. End of problem.
Edit: No they don't control it since the USSR did not get a unit into it.
---
ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

The real risk appears to be that the USSR might DOW Rumania. Now that seems to be permitted by the rules. Therefore, Germany should align Rumania to prevent its occurrence.
... is the right answer. The USSR cannot claim Bessarabia again (I think), but they can DoW Rumania again. If the Axis moves first Germany can align Rumania. Interestingly, per 13.3.3 of RAW, the Russians will not have to do another US Entry roll. ("You can only pick markers for each action once, regardless of the number of times that the action occurs, unless the chart notes otherwise.")

So unless Germany (or Italy if active) is now positioned to send in Peacekeepers, then Germany should align Rumania. This also means they should think twice and check out the Initiative track before imposing a peace to begin with.

Edit: Actually I see nothing thusfar that says the USSR cannot claim Bessarabia again.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Well... since the USSR can declare war on Rumania, this means that Germany will align Rumania now, ending it.
And I didn't see anything preventing another USSR claim for Bessarabia either... I was very surprised by this possibility.
Peter
Orm

Post by Orm »

I suppose this should be asked to the rules clarification group or Harry.

It is my belief that the intention of the rule is that the demand may only be done once. And it is my belief that if there is an enforced peace between Rumania and USSR then USSR may not dow Rumania.

If this DOW was allowed then USSR could always DOW Rumania if the Allies win the initiative with no way for Germany to stop this by aligning Rumania. There is no way I belive this is the intention of RAW. I do, however, agree that RAW is somewhat vague on this subject and I do not have the energy to debate it one way or the other.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

Rats. I guess we'll have to test this one in MWiF. [:(]
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

19.6.2 Rumania
The USSR doesn’t claim Bessarabia
If the USSR hasn’t claimed Bessarabia:

[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]You had your chance.[/font]
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous
19.6.2 Rumania

[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]You had your chance.[/font]
What, exactly, do you mean by this?
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

"If the USSR hasn’t claimed Bessarabia:" what follows this statement is what you can do now.

You can't just "claim Bessarabia" now youve already attempted that.

You now have to escalate the situation.

In poker terms: raise or fold.
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

interesting question that I've never heard before. seems like a highly unlikely situation, but then sometimes a Russian player just relies on the threat of having all of the LND3 and LND4 in range of Ploesti with too few boots on the ground. I've regularly heard a comment on that situation that goes "no sane German player risks the Ploesti fields..."

it has always seemed like the Finns are tougher in this rule, with no 2nd DOW allowed.
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

"If the USSR hasn’t claimed Bessarabia:" what follows this statement is what you can do now.

You can't just "claim Bessarabia" now youve already attempted that.

You now have to escalate the situation.

In poker terms: raise or fold.
I agree with your sentiment, and feel that's how things should play out, but I think Centuur is right. If you read that set of rules carefully, it doesn't actually say that you can't "claim Bessarabia now you've already attempted that."
19.6.2 Claims on Rumania

• it cannot declare war on Rumania;
• Rumania can only align with Germany if Germany has declared war either on Yugoslavia or the USSR (not if the USSR has declared war on Germany), or if Germany controls Belgrade;
• Bulgaria can only align with Germany if Germany controls Belgrade or is at war with Greece; and
• Hungary can only align with Germany after Germany has declared war on Yugoslavia or the USSR.

The USSR claims Bessarabia
During any Allied declaration of war step (after the first) while Rumania is neutral, the USSR can claim Bessarabia.
The German player (acting as Rumania) must either allow the claim or deny it.

Rumania allows the claim
If Rumania allows the claim, it stays neutral and Bessarabia becomes part of the USSR for all purposes until the USSR controls no hex in Bessarabia. At that point, Bessarabia again becomes part of Rumania. The USSR can not declare war on Rumania until the USSR is at war with Germany.

Allowing the claim immediately reduces the resources the USSR supplies to Germany by 1 (see 5.1).

In the next Axis declaration of war step, Hungary and Bulgaria make demands on Rumania for Transylvania and South Dobruja respectively. Germany, as mediator, must either allow both claims or deny both.

If Germany allows their claims:
• Transylvania becomes part of Hungary for all purposes. Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war step.
• South Dobruja becomes part of Bulgaria for all purposes. Germany can declare Bulgaria aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war step.
• Germany can declare Rumania aligned with Germany during any Axis declaration of war step if Germany has declared war on the USSR (not if the USSR has declared war on Germany), is at war with Yugoslavia, or controls Belgrade.

If Germany denies their claims:
• Hungary stops supplying its resource to Germany until Hungary aligns with Germany. Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any Axis declaration of war step after Germany has declared war on the USSR (not if the USSR declares war on Germany). No more than 1 Hungarian unit can ever be outside of Hungary;
• Bulgaria can never align with Germany but the USSR can declare it aligned with the USSR during any later Allied declaration of war step;
• Rumania becomes aligned with Germany as a full Axis ally during the next Axis declaration of war step. It need no longer keep half of its units inside Rumania - they can all leave.

Rumania denies the claim
If Rumania denies the USSR’s claim, the USSR must immediately declare war on Rumania.

Germany can enforce a peace between Rumania and the USSR during any peace step if:
• no hex of Rumania, outside of Bessarabia, is Soviet controlled; and

• the USSR keeps control of Bessarabia provided there is a Soviet land unit anywhere in Bessarabia; and
• Germany can declare Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war steps.

• Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war step; and
• Bulgaria can never align with Germany but the USSR can declare it aligned with the USSR during any later Allied declaration of war step.

• Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any Axis declaration of war step; and
So, the parts we are looking at are:
19.6.2 Claims on Rumania

The USSR claims Bessarabia
During any Allied declaration of war step (after the first) while Rumania is neutral, the USSR can claim Bessarabia.
The German player (acting as Rumania) must either allow the claim or deny it.

Rumania denies the claim
If Rumania denies the USSR’s claim, the USSR must immediately declare war on Rumania.

Germany can enforce a peace between Rumania and the USSR during any peace step if:
• no hex of Rumania, outside of Bessarabia, is Soviet controlled; and

• the USSR keeps control of Bessarabia provided there is a Soviet land unit anywhere in Bessarabia; and
• Germany can declare Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war steps.
As you can see, there is nothing here that says the USSR cannot claim Bessarabia again, nor does it say that the USSR cannot DOW Rumania again. Personally, I don't like that, but those are the rules.
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Follow the steps.

Hungary stops supplying its resource to Germany until Hungary aligns with Germany. Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any Axis declaration of war step after Germany has declared war on the USSR (not if the USSR declares war on Germany). No more than 1 Hungarian unit can ever be outside of Hungary.

Bulgaria can never align with Germany but the USSR can declare it aligned with the USSR during any later Allied declaration of war step.

Rumania becomes aligned with Germany as a full Axis ally during the next Axis declaration of war step. It need no longer keep half of its units inside Rumania - they can all leave.

You had your choice and now Rumania is a full Axis ally even though they are at peace with the USSR. I don’t see a option here to not align Rumania do you?

9.2 How to declare war

You can’t declare war on a minor country that is already controlled by a major power on the other side. However, a declaration of war on a major power is also a declaration of war on every minor country aligned to that major power.

If you want to DoW Rumania you have to DoW Germany.

You can't DoW Germany at this time because of the USSR/German Neutrality Pact. You can't claim Bessarabia because you can't DoW Germany at this time.

Raise or fold? You have to fold.
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

Follow the steps.

Hungary stops supplying its resource to Germany until Hungary aligns with Germany. Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any Axis declaration of war step after Germany has declared war on the USSR (not if the USSR declares war on Germany). No more than 1 Hungarian unit can ever be outside of Hungary.

Bulgaria can never align with Germany but the USSR can declare it aligned with the USSR during any later Allied declaration of war step.

Rumania becomes aligned with Germany as a full Axis ally during the next Axis declaration of war step. It need no longer keep half of its units inside Rumania - they can all leave.

You had your choice and now Rumania is a full Axis ally (I don’t see a option here do you?) even though they are at peace with the USSR.

If you want to DoW Rumania you have to DoW Germany.

Raise or fold?
None of this has anything to do with the situation. All of these rules are only considered if Rumania allows the claim on Bessarabia. The original question had to do with a situation in which Rumania did not allow the claim.

Therefore, the USSR had to DOW Rumania.
It's attacks failed miserably and the USSR did not manage to get a unit into either Rumania or Bessarabia before the turn ended.
Then, Germany enforced a peace which left Bessarabia under Rumanian control.

So, the question stands: Can the USSR claim Bessarabia again? And/or can it DOW Rumania again?

The rules seem to support a "Yes" answer to both questions.
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Oops got ahead of myself.

The USSR doesn’t claim Bessarabia (It has)
Rumania has denied the claim
Rumania and the USSR have come to peace
Germany can declare Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war steps.

Want to try again?

31. USSR declares war on other minor (Ge/It) (-9).

Did you do this the first time?
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

Extraneous, please include a little commentary in your posts. Again, I'm not sure what point you are making with this. Are you continuing the argument against RAW allowing the 2nd claim/DOW? Or are you agreeing that RAW seems to allow them?

Oops got ahead of myself.

Germany can declare Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war steps.

Want to try again?

-Lazarus Long, RAH
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Want to try again?

I'm Just doing as you requested keeping it brief with as few quotes a possiable.

Rumania denies the claim

Each time the USSR has to DoW the neutral minor country Rumania it invokes:

US entrty action 31. USSR declares war on other minor or Vichy France (Ge/It) (-9).

Footnote 5: Rolled once per city, major power, neutral minor country or search.

How many US entry chits are left?
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

Want to try again?

I'm Just doing as you requested keeping it brief with as few quotes a possiable.

Rumania denies the claim

Each time the USSR has to DoW the neutral minor country Rumania it invokes:

US entrty action 31. USSR declares war on other minor or Vichy France (Ge/It) (-9).

Footnote 5: Rolled once per city, major power, neutral minor country or search.

How many US entry chits are left?
Ah. I see what your getting at. That's a very good point. The USSR can't afford to eliminate too many US Entry chits, can it? I hadn't thought of that.

-----

For the record: I did not request fewer references. I simply said they are not required in order to post in the public forums.

If my previous posts on this were unclear, I apologize. However, I won't get into another argument about it.
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

Err it's slightly pedantic, but the USSR attacking one of Belgium, Finland, Rumania, Sweden or Switzerland incurs a -18 U.S. Entry hit, not -9.
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."

Return to “World in Flames”