Grand Campaign observations

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
col kapa

Grand Campaign observations

Post by col kapa »

just finished 3 H2H Campaigns and would like to make some observations

Firstly a huge thanks to all those that have helped develop such a great series and I have had over a decade of fun

Regards LSA it would be extremely valuable to actualy look at a unit,during the movement phase, as to how many points are being accrued during rest periods or inactivity, This would help with the desision of when and what unit to commit to battle.

There were 3 occasions when relieving Ger Stugs and pzkp 224 (flame tanks) the unit underneath never got put on top,had to merge or withdraw them in order to carry on.

Piats are in my opinion to good,Destroying a Tiger with such a weapan was I believe historicaly impossabe

There has been talk of mortars being too effective,I think when you look at how many soldiers are incapacitated (wounded) after an attack compared to dead it is reasonably accurate, history from ww2 clearly states that the majority of casualties where caused by mortars and MGs

To be picky buildings could give more cover against mortars

On the whole great and I look forward to more, using LSA engine,maybe Italy or even expanding that great mod of France 1940

many thanks to you all

Col Kapa and Timoshenko

RD Oddball

RE: Grand Campaign observations

Post by RD Oddball »

Thanks for the feedback and kudos col kapa. Glad you're enjoying it. Good suggestions too.
DesertedFox

Post by DesertedFox »

There has been talk of mortars being too effective,I think when you look at how many soldiers are incapacitated (wounded) after an attack compared to dead it is reasonably accurate, history from ww2 clearly states that the majority of casualties where caused by mortars and MGs

Your facts re casualties maybe true, but in CC you are able to INSTANTLY turn a mortar 180 degrees, plus or minus, and shower the running squad with mortar rounds even though you cant see them. I didn't realise EVERY squad on the battlefield was equipped with a radio to instantly call in mortar support. The radio guy on the mortar end must have been a busy fellow. Then the mortar crews are so efficient they can move the mortar in the appropriate direction and zero in on target instantly, and I mean instantly.

Tigercub has a mod which fixes this absurdity in TLD. Plays out great now. He may have also done it for LSA but can't be sure.

Re the Piat, I believe the piat had quit good penetration values, but had a very short range and its accuracy was also questionable ( I may have to stand corrected on this as I am going from distant memory).
Thus taking out a Tiger was possible, but a damaged tank was more probable. Range would need to be short.

Cheers,

Mark
col kapa

Post by col kapa »

Fully accept your point on the mortars mark

I am all for getting as accurate as possable,I supose some would argue where to draw the line

But it would be nice if a patch could be done for the mortar issue and to allow Germans to place Bo unit guns where they would like instead of
fixed placement

Regards

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”