Richmond Confederate Newspaper

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Gil R.

pjwheeling

Richmond Confederate Newspaper

Post by pjwheeling »

Almost exactly one year ago I spoke of a project that I would be undertaking to play through Forge of Freedom as the Confederacy, using exclusively Quick Combat, while making adjustments to the Confederate infrastructure and manpower, to see if I could defeat the Union and gain total independence for the Confederate States of America. What I have done is create a fictional what-if, that begins with the Compromise of 1850. What I explore is what if the Compromise had included an extension of the 36 30'parallel to nearly the Pacific Ocean, and South Carolina Senator John C. Calhoun's call for a lighter tariff upon the Southern states had finally been realized. Also, what if the Southern people had finally began to listen to James Dunwoody Brownson DeBow, and began to industrialize the South? The results of the war may have been very different. I know that the South could not prevail in FOF using exclusively Quick Combat unless modifications were made to the economy. So, in essence, I have done that, by creating an ahistorical story that will lead up to the scenario "The Coming Fury - July 1861". I have been working on this project off and on for one complete year. I have tried to write a plausible story and I hope it is entertaining. Perhaps some of it is even plausible. The war is far from complete as I write this post today, so the outcome is not pre-determined. I may just lose. I'm probably a better writer than player of the game, although my writing skills are fair at best. I will try to post a newspaper a day for awhile to get caught up. I am playing at the level of "First Sergeant" so neither side gets any bonuses beyond the already mentioned tweaks to the Confederate infrastructure and manpower. All in all the Confederacy will be strengthened on average about 15%, not at all excessive, and still way below the Northern economy and infrastructure, and still just over a third of the manpower. Hope you enjoy.

Patrick
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

RE: Richmond Confederate Newspaper

Post by pjwheeling »

Here is the First Edition of the Richmond Confederate newspaper. it is a Special Edition highlighting the results of the Compromise of 1850.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond1.gif
Richmond1.gif (401.88 KiB) Viewed 712 times
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
balto

Post by balto »

PJ, I just decided to start studying FoF for about 2 weeks now. Is that the consensus that CSA cannot win using Quick Combat?

Considering PBEM is Quick Combat, are you saying the CSA cannot win in PBEM?

If that is correct, that is very depressing in that I like PBEM, and thus I have wasted lots of time preparing for a PBEM on this with me as the North.

Thank you for any information you have on this. I am greatly interested in what you and others have to say about this.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: balto
Considering PBEM is Quick Combat, are you saying the CSA cannot win in PBEM?

CSA can indeed win in a pbem game (both done so myself as well as lost as the Northern Agressors). In my oppinion the greatest setback for the CSA is to play with Randomized stats on their generals as you are wery unlikely to get another Lee or Jackson.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

No, I am not refering to PBEM. I am reffering to playing against the computer with the difficulty setting "First Sergeant". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in this circumstance the South would lose. I do not doubt that in PBEM a superior player could win with the South.

Patrick

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Initial results from the lower tariff.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond2.gif
Richmond2.gif (368.38 KiB) Viewed 712 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Lower trade tariff effecting northeastern cities.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond3.gif
Richmond3.gif (358.51 KiB) Viewed 712 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

The Southern Commercial Convention.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond4.gif
Richmond4.gif (414.75 KiB) Viewed 712 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Struggles in the new Southern Territories.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond5.gif
Richmond5.gif (378.33 KiB) Viewed 712 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Tredegar Iron Works. Ruins of the Ironworks remain to this day in Richmond. It has a museum as well.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond6.gif
Richmond6.gif (345.05 KiB) Viewed 712 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Southern Construction Begins.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond7.gif
Richmond7.gif (360.77 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Cool! Always great to see another AAR go up. And nice to see the fancy approach.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Expansion of Southern Territories.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond8.gif
Richmond8.gif (364.7 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Federal Protection for Territories.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond9.gif
Richmond9.gif (348.68 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

The President catering to his own party.
Aren't you glad those days are past? [;)]

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond10.gif
Richmond10.gif (333.39 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Gold found in new Mexico. There really was/is gold there.

Attachments
Richmond11.gif
Richmond11.gif (383.37 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

A foundry for Montgomery, Alabama.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond12.gif
Richmond12.gif (367.45 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

A very interesting alternate history, although the residents of California would have had serious issues with not being allowed statehood immediately. (I'm also very curious as to the details of your alternate Fugitive Slave Act--would there still have been an Underground Railroad?)

And shouldn't there have been a book review of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Two more states added to the union.
I would think that with a stronger Fugitive Slave Law there would be an even greater need of the Underground Railroad. Yes, California had to wait about 3 years longer, but to gain Kansas as a free state without any "Bleeding Kansas" would surely have been a blessing for free-soilers. Also, the promise that the rest of the Unorganized Territories would be organized as free soil would surely have made it worth the compromise I think (except maybe to Californians, especially those from Los Angeles [;)])

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond13.gif
Richmond13.gif (328.35 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Discovery in Arizona. You may notice the New Mexico flag from the last issue is a little different.

Patrick

Attachments
Richmond14.gif
Richmond14.gif (367.61 KiB) Viewed 713 times

General James Longstreet

Return to “After Action Reports”