List of shortcut switches

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

chesmart

List of shortcut switches

Post by chesmart »

Hi guys I just reinstalled AE and uppdated to the latest Beta version, when it istalled i lost the graphics settings switches in the short cuts and the rest of the switches i had. Where can I find the entire list of switches ?
I already tried using the forum search.
Bullwinkle58

RE: List of shortcut switches

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: che200

Hi guys I just reinstalled AE and uppdated to the latest Beta version, when it istalled i lost the graphics settings switches in the short cuts and the rest of the switches i had. Where can I find the entire list of switches ?

They're in the release notes for the third patch I think, and every one since.

Performance Switches
(Please note that the old –dual switch has been removed in favor of the below combination of more configurable switches)
-SingleCpuStart : Starts the game in single CPU mode. Switches to multi CPU mode if available later. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD processors.
-SingleCpuOrders : Starts the game in single CPU mode and stays in single CPU for the orders phase, switches to multi CPU mode for running the turn, then switches back to single mode for the next orders phase. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD processors. Use this or –SingleCpuStart, not both.
If either of the above are used with one of the -cpu# switches noted below, it will use the specified CPU, otherwise both of these switches default to the first CPU. If a -cpu# switch and one of these -Single switches are used, the turns will always be processed in multi processor mode.
-cpu# : (cpu1, cpu2, cpu3, cpu4) Switches set the cpu affinity for multi cpu systems. It will do nothing for single cores and will default to using all cores if a core is designated which is not there (for example using -cpu3 on a dual core system). We’ve found this to be very useful on some multi-core systems, especially Intel processors.
If used alone, the -cpu# switches will keep the game running on the CPU specified all the time. If used with the -SingleCpuStart switch, it will only use that core when starting the game. If used with the -SingleCpuOrders switch, it will stay in single CPU mode for starting and the orders phase, but will run in multicore. If one of the SingleCpu switches is used without a -cpu# switch, it will default to cpu 1 when it is in single core.
-multiaudio : Invokes a fix that changes audio timing for multicore machines.
-dd_sw : Handles DirectDraw via Software. We’ve found this can make a huge difference on many systems as far as reducing interface lag and making button clicking in-game more responsive. On a few newer systems this can cause some visual glitches and slow combat animations though, so give it a try and remove it if it’s not ideal on your system.
Performance Examples
For example, on an Intel Dual Core system here, we use the following switches:
-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw
On an AMD multi-core system, we use the following switches:
-SingleCpuOrders –cpu2 –multiaudio
Try these switches in different combinations to see what works best for your system as what works well on one may not be ideal for another. However, we have yet to find a system that didn’t benefit at all from at least one of these switches performance-wise, so test them out!
Wide Screen Support
New in the third official update:
-px -py
To have any effect x must be greater than 1024 and y must be greater than 768. If values less than or equal to px=1024 and py=768 are used the original values of 1024 and 768 will be substituted.
Spanning mode is not supported and user should ensure that both the video adapter and monitor support the px and py values.
We were unable to test on all possible monitor combinations, if you experience issues you should immediately remove the –px –py from your command line switches to revert to standard display behavior.
Examples:
-f -px1920 –py1200 for a 1920x1200 monitor in full screen mode
-w –px1680 –py1050 for windowed mode, so that the window is within desktop
Other Switches
-colorBlind : Support for color blindness
-deepColor : Enables 32 bit color, intended for Full Screen mode
-altFont : Enables alternate in-game font (Lucida Sans Unicode)
-w : Windowed mode
-wd : Windowed mode, daily autosaves
-ww : Windowed mode, weekly autosaves
-fd : Full screen, daily autosaves
-fw : Full screen, weekly autosaves
-r : Show Roads
-autosave : Daily autosave
-archive : Put data reports in archive directory
-skipVideo : Skip the intro video when starting the game
-fixedArt : Will not use rotating images
The Moose
chesmart

Post by chesmart »

Thanks that was quick
Wikingus

Post by Wikingus »

How exactly does one use these switches?
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: Wikingus

They are also in the whatsnew.pdf

Amongst other things you can change the resolution the game plays in. Useful if you have a large monitor.

What I use is the noVideo switch, so the game starts without intro videos.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Amongst other things you can change the resolution the game plays in. Useful if you have a large monitor.

What I use is the noVideo switch, so the game starts without intro videos.

And the multi-core ones ar epretty mandatory from what I understand.
The Moose
Wikingus

Post by Wikingus »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Indeed they are, neat. [&o]
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: che200

They're in the release notes for the third patch I think, and every one since.

Performance Switches
(Please note that the old –dual switch has been removed in favor of the below combination of more configurable switches)
-SingleCpuStart : Starts the game in single CPU mode. Switches to multi CPU mode if available later. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD processors.
-SingleCpuOrders : Starts the game in single CPU mode and stays in single CPU for the orders phase, switches to multi CPU mode for running the turn, then switches back to single mode for the next orders phase. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD processors. Use this or –SingleCpuStart, not both.
If either of the above are used with one of the -cpu# switches noted below, it will use the specified CPU, otherwise both of these switches default to the first CPU. If a -cpu# switch and one of these -Single switches are used, the turns will always be processed in multi processor mode.
-cpu# : (cpu1, cpu2, cpu3, cpu4) Switches set the cpu affinity for multi cpu systems. It will do nothing for single cores and will default to using all cores if a core is designated which is not there (for example using -cpu3 on a dual core system). We’ve found this to be very useful on some multi-core systems, especially Intel processors.
If used alone, the -cpu# switches will keep the game running on the CPU specified all the time. If used with the -SingleCpuStart switch, it will only use that core when starting the game. If used with the -SingleCpuOrders switch, it will stay in single CPU mode for starting and the orders phase, but will run in multicore. If one of the SingleCpu switches is used without a -cpu# switch, it will default to cpu 1 when it is in single core.
-multiaudio : Invokes a fix that changes audio timing for multicore machines.
-dd_sw : Handles DirectDraw via Software. We’ve found this can make a huge difference on many systems as far as reducing interface lag and making button clicking in-game more responsive. On a few newer systems this can cause some visual glitches and slow combat animations though, so give it a try and remove it if it’s not ideal on your system.
Performance Examples
For example, on an Intel Dual Core system here, we use the following switches:
-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw
On an AMD multi-core system, we use the following switches:
-SingleCpuOrders –cpu2 –multiaudio
Try these switches in different combinations to see what works best for your system as what works well on one may not be ideal for another. However, we have yet to find a system that didn’t benefit at all from at least one of these switches performance-wise, so test them out!
Wide Screen Support
New in the third official update:
-px -py
To have any effect x must be greater than 1024 and y must be greater than 768. If values less than or equal to px=1024 and py=768 are used the original values of 1024 and 768 will be substituted.
Spanning mode is not supported and user should ensure that both the video adapter and monitor support the px and py values.
We were unable to test on all possible monitor combinations, if you experience issues you should immediately remove the –px –py from your command line switches to revert to standard display behavior.
Examples:
-f -px1920 –py1200 for a 1920x1200 monitor in full screen mode
-w –px1680 –py1050 for windowed mode, so that the window is within desktop
Other Switches
-colorBlind : Support for color blindness
-deepColor : Enables 32 bit color, intended for Full Screen mode
-altFont : Enables alternate in-game font (Lucida Sans Unicode)
-w : Windowed mode
-wd : Windowed mode, daily autosaves
-ww : Windowed mode, weekly autosaves
-fd : Full screen, daily autosaves
-fw : Full screen, weekly autosaves
-r : Show Roads
-autosave : Daily autosave
-archive : Put data reports in archive directory
-skipVideo : Skip the intro video when starting the game
-fixedArt : Will not use rotating images

This should be a sticky in the Tech Support Forum.
byron13

Post by byron13 »

So I'm computer illiterate. I have an I7 quad core, and I notice the fan runs hard the whole time I have the game booted up. I'm wondering what the singlecpuorders switch does. I gather it limits cpu activity to one core when plotting moves. What is the real purpose of the switch and intent to limit to one core? Minimizing power used by cpu? Reducing heat?

Do I understand the cpu3, cpu2, etc. switches actually select the core that will be operating? Of what use is that?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: byron13

So I'm computer illiterate. I have an I7 quad core, and I notice the fan runs hard the whole time I have the game booted up. I'm wondering what the singlecpuorders switch does. I gather it limits cpu activity to one core when plotting moves. What is the real purpose of the switch and intent to limit to one core? Minimizing power used by cpu? Reducing heat?

Do I understand the cpu3, cpu2, etc. switches actually select the core that will be operating? Of what use is that?

I have an I7 core as well, and found the game to run really choppy in the orders phase without the following switches.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders

This is how my shortcut looks when you view it in properties.

-px1920 and -py1080 sets it to the correct resolution for my 23" widescreen monitor...this is totally dependent on your monitor, so you may not need this, or need different settings.

-cpu4 forces the game to run on CPU core 5 (cores go from 0-7 on an i7 core). You can use which ever one you like.

-SingleCpuOrders makes it run on only 1 cpu during the orders phase (and fixes the chopiness). By choppiness I mean I was having issues where the game would hang for a second or two, then the mouse would jump across the screen (caused by the multicore processor constantly switching the core it was using to process the game). This switch tells the game to never change processor cores and makes the game run smooth.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

I run an Intell i7 950 quad core, OC'd to 3,99 GHz. I set switches to -cpu3 -Single Cpu Orders -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont. To my knowledge, all i7's are quad core.
Your OS (say Winows) will start and run on core#1, normally. Changing the core for the game will unburden that #1 core and allow the game to run faster in the Start and orders phase. The game will run the turn on all cores.
The notes above are pretty self explanitory, though it takes a while for us old(er) guys to get it to sink in!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: steamboateng

I run an Intell i7 950 quad core, OC'd to 3,99 GHz. I set switches to -cpu3 -Single Cpu Orders -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont. To my knowledge, all i7's are quad core.
Your OS (say Winows) will start and run on core#1, normally. Changing the core for the game will unburden that #1 core and allow the game to run faster in the Start and orders phase. The game will run the turn on all cores.
The notes above are pretty self explanitory, though it takes a while for us old(er) guys to get it to sink in!

I7 shows as quad core with 8 logical processors.

PS, I still am not used to this newer tech. I can build a 32 bit system blindfolded, but these new 64 bit systems are still a bit of a mystery to me. [&:]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

I think that means each core will run 2 logic processors, for 64 bit ops. But that's just a guess. The i7 processors are spec'd as quad core.
I run Win 64 Home and have had absolutely no probs in 9 months operation (can't say that about the Win XP nitemare).

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”