Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

henri51

Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN

Post by henri51 »

I have the demo of both games, and both are good. Now which one to buy? Sure I could buy both (and maybe I will eventually). But why should I buy this one first? [&:]

OK, one reason is the hateful Battlefront copy protection system apparently designed to offend only legitimate users. But aside from that...

Henri
junk2drive

RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN

Post by junk2drive »

$44 with download and a printed manual, $35 for download only and serial number DRM. nuff said?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

More variety in weapons, terrain, weather and time period. I have thought about CBN and have the demo but haven't installed it yet, the CBN demo came out in the morning and this complete game came out in the afternoon. CBN is only a 3 month time period and this covers from '41 - '45 so you have all the different year models of the weapons. The AI is also really good. Lots of other stuff that I haven't even had the time to look at or play with yet.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Let's see...where to start?

Depends on what you're basic interests are.

If you want more than just a few vehicle models covering the summer months in a restricted area, go with PCO.

You want a game that will play on an older machine, go with PCO.

You want the entire inventory of vehicles from 1941 through 1945, go with PCO.

You want platoon oriented combat, go with PCO.

You want WeGo that's fine tuned for multiple gaming styles, go with PCO.

You want variable turn speeds and sequencing ability, go with PCO.

You want platoon based unit orders, go with PCO.

You want a map maker that used Google Earth satellite imagery to create maps, go with PCO.

You want support from a development team that asks for, and implements, your ideas about improvements for the game, go with PCO.

You want the ability to mod any part of the game that moves, has sound or has graphics representation, go with PCO.

You want expansions that are coming between now and the next installment in the series, go with PCO.

You want an extremely detailed armored combat model with supporting combat models for artillery, infantry and close air support, go with PCO.

You want more content for your money, go with PCO.

You want anything else, go with CMBN.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

1000 words.

Attachments
tiger2.jpg
tiger2.jpg (158.03 KiB) Viewed 280 times
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: henri51

I have the demo of both games, and both are good. Now which one to buy?
You should buy it because I say it is good!
But really, you tried both, buy whatever gave you more fun. Then later get the other one, you know you want both![;)]
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

I have both games and both are worth the hard earned cash IMHO.

Only down side I see in PCO is it runs slow and has low fps on my XP machine. [:(]  I even have to turn down stuff to get a 30 fps game. [&:]
XP - sp3
Pentiun 3.20GHz
3.25 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT - 512 MB
1920 x 1200
Now CMBN runs fast and with everything on..... [&:]

But PCO runs 60 fps with everything on when I use my Win 7 machine [:D]

Basically, you need to buy both as stated above
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Do you play against the AI? Most people here have reported a good experience with the AI. No scripting required.

Do you play against humans? Our MP system is automatic and quick. No moving files around.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Richie61

Only down side I see in PCO is it runs slow and has low fps on my XP machine. [:(]  I even have to turn down stuff to get a 30 fps game. [&:]
XP - sp3
Pentiun 3.20GHz
3.25 GB of RAM
1920 x 1200

Is your Windows 7 machine multi-core?

Good Hunting.

MR

general_solomon

Post by general_solomon »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Let's see...where to start?

Depends on what you're basic interests are.

If you want more than just a few vehicle models covering the summer months in a restricted area, go with PCO.

You want a game that will play on an older machine got with POC.

You want the entire inventory of vehicles from 1941 through 1945 go with PCO.

You want platoon oriented combat go with PCO.

You want WeGo that's fine tuned for multiple gaming styles go with PCO.

You want variable turn speeds and sequencing ability, go with PCO.

You want platoon based unit orders, go with PCO.

You want a map maker that used Google Earth satellite imagery to create maps, go with PCO.

You want support from a development team that asks for, and implements, your ideas about improvements for the game,  go with PCO.

You want the ability to mod any part of the game that moves, has sound or has graphics representation, go with PCO.

You want expansions that are coming between now and the next installment in the series, go with PCO.

You want an extremely detailed armored combat model with supporting combat models for artillery, infantry and close air support, go with PCO.

You want more content for your money, go with PCO.

You want anything else, go with CMBN.

Good Hunting.

MR

first of all i wanted to say MR's response should be turned into a song. your not only a virtual general but also a poet.

on to your question:

here is what I suggest, buy pco first and play the hell out of it. that will take a couple of months. then buy cmbn because its a good game also. you then play the hell out that plus its user made scenarios.

by that time, pco's first expansion will arrive(hopefully). so then come back to pco and play the hell out of it. keep repeating the steps until 2015.

both games deserve your full attention, so take the time play both. thats what i am doing.

hope this helps.

diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

1. Russian Front vs Western Front

2. Random Campaign generator with over 90+ possible threads of battle to partake in throughout the campaign

3. A real TacAI opponent on random generated battles whereas CM:BN has NONE unless the scenario is player made

4. A real TacAI that is challenging and has beaten my butt which rarely ever happens in pc games.

5. The ability to see where you are attacking, what you are attacking and what is attacking you with combat lines from you and to your target.

6. A customer service rep like Mad Russian unsurpassed by any other especially Steve from Battlefront.

7. A Kill Camara which I love so when something happens during a turn or phase you DO get to see it, CM:BN does not have this

8. Price when it's released at NWSonline.com will be the same $35 + S/H like the direct download here and you'll get that beautiful color printed manual

9. It just feels more real during the battles to me and there just feels like there's more content for the $$ than in CM:BN

10. It's free to Panzer Command Kharkov owners, let's see Battlefront do that for all its CMBO, CMBB and CMAK owners.
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

XP - sp3
Pentiun 3.20GHz
3.25 GB of RAM
1920 x 1200

Is your Windows 7 machine multi-core?

Good Hunting.

MR

Yes.
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

That's probably why it runs faster than on your XP machine.

Good Hunting.

MR

AbnAirCav

Post by AbnAirCav »

<snip>

I have both, as well, and agree that we're fortunate to have these two excellent games now available, covering different fronts! [8D]
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

I think one can't seriously compare PCO to CMBN. And why should they be compared anyway? CMBN is brilliant, but that doesn't make PCO any less fun. On the contrary, I'm glad with both. Both game have lots of potential.&nbsp;

And any self-respecting wargamer should have them both installed on his pc. &nbsp;
Chackal

Post by Chackal »

For me a key reason is that PCO runs great in my multicore laptop with everything maxed. On the other hand to make CMBN smooth I have to turn off many options and it ends looking much worse than PCO.

When you take into account the price, DRM, support from the development team, AI, modding potential, etc. it should be a very easy choice.

Also, East Front vs Normandy? for me it's not even close.
Enigma6584

Post by Enigma6584 »

@Henri51

My own opinion is that you wait for some independent reviews to come out on PCO. Read the AARs which are coming out now on PCO, continue to play the demo. How does it feel to you? How does CMBN feel to you? I wouldn't take Mad Russians opinion on the game too seriously, he has a vested interest in selling this game and is known for his dislike of BF. As for diablo1, well...LOL he's just diablo1. [;)] Both are good in many areas, better than the other in some areas. I myself am probably going to get both, I already have CMBN and am still deciding on PCO. Very close to PCO though, it is the infantry model which gives me pause. Eric's new tutorial video titled "Boot Camp" has pushed me in the direction of forgiving the infantry model limitations. Just take your time to decide, there really is no need to hurry and spend your money....correct? [:)]
FNG

Post by FNG »

Without comparing it to any other game, all I can really say about PCO is that it 'feels' right. Whether the outcomes are good or bad in game, I have never thought WTF how did that happen? It's immersive, it's addictive.
FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: RedCharlie65

@Henri51

My own opinion is that you wait for some independent reviews to come out on PCO. Read the AARs which are coming out now on PCO, continue to play the demo. How does it feel to you? How does CMBN feel to you? I wouldn't take Mad Russians opinion on the game too seriously, he has a vested interest in selling this game and is known for his dislike of BF. As for diablo1, well...LOL he's just diablo1. [;)] Both are good in many areas, better than the other in some areas. I myself am probably going to get both, I already have CMBN and am still deciding on PCO. Very close to PCO though, it is the infantry model which gives me pause. Eric's new tutorial video titled "Boot Camp" has pushed me in the direction of forgiving the infantry model limitations. Just take your time to decide, there really is no need to hurry and spend your money....correct? [:)]

I agree with some of what you say.

Independent reviews are a bit of mixed bag. I have seen good games trashed by someone that doesn't read the manual and doesn't play turn based games. They fumble along, don't understand anything, and proclaim the game junk.

We try to give you as much documentation as possible and explain as much under the hood stuff as we can. There are youtube videos and tutorials. Pictorial How To's. Forum explanations.

In the end though you need to like the game and how it feels as others have said. You have the demo. It has the full manual. There are options for how it plays. Play from both sides.

Good luck in your quest.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: RedCharlie65

I wouldn't take Mad Russians opinion on the game too seriously, he has a vested interest in selling this game

I would hope that my posts about PCO are realistic; and not just a "sales pitch" as you infer. We answer all questions honestly here. He asked and I told him my opinion.

and is known for his dislike of BF. [:)]

I recommend that gamers buy CMBN all the time. My dislikes are not about their games. Hopefully, I would be known for far more things than my "dislike of BF".

I dislike their products so much I have more than 90 scenarios at The Scenario Depot II for CMBB and CMAK.

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”