A question to Linux users...

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Perturabo

A question to Linux users...

Post by Perturabo »

Did anyone manage to run the editors under Wine (after installing the .net framework)? Now that the price dropped I'm considering buying it for the editors but I don't know if they work under Wine. The demo works.
Arjuna

RE: A question to Linux users...

Post by Arjuna »

If the demo works, so should the game. However, we don't officially support Linux and we have not directly tested this.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I'm asking about estab editors, not the game itself. I have Red Devils over Arnhem and it works relatively well under wine.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Don't know about the estab editor under wine. Anybody else tried it?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

No idea, but the editors could be run on almost any windows box - so an old machine could be pressed into service and the edited files transferred if Linux/Wine won't work.

The Game engine itself requires a little more machine to allow the sound files (noticeably) and AI to run at a reasonable speed. A 2.4GHz P4 single core sometimes struggles with lots of artillery firing simultaneously - the sound breaks up a touch, but that is all - and occasional short pauses during the supply determination at 0600 and 1800 each day or on building/destroying a crossing. On this level of machine there also isn't much difference between top and slowest speed with a biggish scenario.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I got it to run decently using Wine 1.3.24. I installed the game into a separate wineprefix using PlayOnLinux.

I installed corefonts tahoma fontfix d3dx9 vcrun6 dotnet20 using winetricks so that the estab editor would run.
Everything works - editors work, game works. Some older versions of wine don't allow running estab editor correctly. Version 1.3.25 of Wine breaks the Airborne Assault series.
Version 1.3.26 allows running Airborne Assault faster than 1.3.24 but it's not available for PlayOnLinux yet.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

A little correction. It should be vcrun2008, not vcrun6.

Also, Wine can't display maps in map editor.
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

As there was a recent change to VS 2010, you might need to update that one after the patch. No idea if that is the case, but you might want to be prepared to hunt for the necessaries.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I just downloaded the newest version of Wine (1.3.24). The minimap finally works and map editor finally works too.

EDIT:
The map editor doesn't work correctly with in-game maps - colours aren't displayed and any attempt to modify them causes it to crash. *sigh* maybe further versions of Wine will finally make it work.
TeTeT

Post by TeTeT »

I have a problem under wine with the latest update. wine COBattlesfromtheBulge-Update-v42248.exe just pops up a warning: irsetup - Failed to open output file. Anyone had some success, I use wine-1.2.2.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I didn't have any problems with installing the update on 1.3.34.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I had a game that I was trying to install and had the irsetup error. Google searching came up with a post that the bug was fixed in a newer version.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
TeTeT

Post by TeTeT »

Thanks, I updated to wine-1.3.35 and the update went through :) Unfortunately I cannot see the main game window anymore. In the past I used alt-tab to bring it to the foreground, but now it does not seem to be drawn at all. The application itself is started, I get the radio chatter noises and the process is running.
[edit]
Seems I cannot use 'match current resolution' when starting the game. Using one of the offered resolution choices does work!

Return to “Command Ops Series”