[interest check] 'Randomized' scenario(s)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

kfsgo

[interest check] 'Randomized' scenario(s)

Post by kfsgo »

An idea I've been batting around in my head for a while is assembling a list of 1000-x000 or so alterations (some cosmetic or minor bordering on insignificant all the way up to downright game-changing) to the starting and incoming forces and dispositions of both sides, from which y number could be drawn out at random and easily applied to most if not all existing scenarios; I'm curious as to whether people think it's a decent or horrifically bad idea, and/or whether anyone would get any use out of it if I actually set about producing something like that. I get the sense that a lot of people have a good 'read' on what they can and can't get away with doing given the toys they have; not being psychic I have no idea whether that's considered a good or bad thing by the players involved.

Theoretically this could take pretty much any form, from reasonably reality-based to outright fantastical or anywhere in between, with multiple event sets depending on what the people involved want out of it. Sound like something you might be tempted to use, or just like something you'd think a waste of everyone's time?
topeverest

RE: [interest check] 'Randomized' scenario(s)

Post by topeverest »

KFSGO,

There is a very delicate balance in this game. It is a balance that would - in many of these randomized outcomes - be shattered. Allies start with units that have low experience and morale, little or no fuel & supply stockpiles, bad commanders, poor aircraft and ships, and restricted units. These elements are the 'strategic surprise' or 'secret sauce' that creates the ability of Japan to continue her offenisve fight as long as she does. IMHO, it makes the game very interesting and fun to play. If the Allies were armed better to any degree we would have a much shorter game in most players' hands.

You have your work cut out for yourself to match the years of hard testing and playing that has taken the game to where it is today. That said, it is an interesting concept. You just need to think of balance needed when setting up the paramaters.

Andy M
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I would like a random reinforcements ability to provide a lack of "guarantee" to their arrival (Including extra non-historical units/ships)

Balance doesnt matter.

It could be the japanese which get some extra units in 1942 and the Allies getting extra in 1943.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Jeff,

Are you suggesting the owning player doesnt know his or her own reinforcement train, or are you thinking like a reinforcement ramdomizer with extra potential units from a master holding list along with a difficulty slider that affects the total number of each type of reinforcement / starting unit (and potentially allied replacements / on-board ROF amounts...etc.

Seems pretty hard to do as a utility that interacts within scenarios. That's beyond my programming capabilities. Anyway...interesting idea.
Andy M
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I want some randomness, once set the player can see his reos, maybe with a little +/- but doesnt know exactly whats happening over the hill.

Should the japanese player know the EXACT date that USS Essex arrives??

Or that 529 Heavy Bomber Sqn WILL arrive on xx/xx/xx??

Too many games are played with a level of intelligence, both military & industrial that didnt exist IRL, multiple replays of the game has taken a lot of the surprise away. They know what level bases can be built and how quickly (In game, who would build at Bora Bora??)

I understand it takes a lot, but AE does things they said would never happen (or never thought of) in WITP. Maybe someone could work out a way.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”