German Fuel Usage and Distribution

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

New York Jets

German Fuel Usage and Distribution

Post by New York Jets »

I understand the Luftwaffe consumes fuel but, at what rate? Is it figured per plane/sortie usage?

How is the fuel distributed? If I bomb the rail networks does it slow the rate at which the airfields receive fuel?
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -
wernerpruckner

RE: German Fuel Usage and Distribution

Post by wernerpruckner »

How is the fuel distributed?
mainly via the RR network and ports

If I bomb the rail networks does it slow the rate at which the airfields receive fuel?
yes, but it would be also wise to destroy the stock of fuel and oil at OILS, OILR and FUEL sites

I understand the Luftwaffe consumes fuel but, at what rate? Is it figured per plane/sortie usage?

more or less yes (it may also be based on engines)
An enemy A/F gets up to 100 fuel per unit based there (in BoB there are primary and secondary A/F = primarys get 4x100 max and the secondary get half.....BtR only has primary A/Fs)
With this amount of fuel the Germans can fly several sorties/day with each unit.....they can also use some units to pre-stock some A/Fs for future plans...
kaybayray

RE: German Fuel Usage and Distribution

Post by kaybayray »

<S> Chris [8D]

Keep in mind that there is a lot modeled in the game that is under the hood that you cant see. I think a relavent concept is that you can only reduce the effects of Transport and Production from their Maximum but you cant really shut it down completely.

Most things are interelated in some way so if you effect one thing it will in turn effect others. For some general insigt as how this works please check out my Allied Strategic ant Tactical Doctrine thread in the War Room. I put together what I call The Target Effects Array which shows how many of the various aspects of German Production , Transportation and Supply work. I show some very general strategies that demonstrate using this to effect your goals whatever they may be.

One thing you might try so that you can get an idea of how the supply network is arrayed across the map is to check the supply routes of the various Ground Forces and see how they trace their way back into the interior of Germany. This will not give you the complete answer you are looking for but it will help you get a picture of how the distribution network is laid out. Not sure if you know how to do this..... just left click on one of the German Ground Force units and wait a few seconds. A white line showing the Supply Distribution Route will appear going through various Rail, Port and other points on the map. Each junction in that route is a Distribution Hub of sorts. Each being a potential target for you to disrupt Fuel Distribution.

Recall that as I believe Sarge stated that if you kill all the Rails they will go to Trucks, kill them and they go to carts, kill them and people line up carrying 5 gallon Tins of Gas, etc...

Keep in mind that if you destroy Railyards near some production facility or AF there are other Railyards more distant that the supplies will flow through. So you are only going to be slowing and disrupting the flow not shutting it down. However there is more than one way to choke a dog.

Now you could also apply a Fuel Strategy along with what I believe is your Transportation Strategy to disrupt Fuel availability for Luftwaffe sorties. This presents many options that you could follow. Check out my Target Effects Array and see for yourself. If you disrupt the flow of the supplies you have only effected one of the legs of the machine. You need to also consider damaging the Supply Stores and the Production of the Supply itself.

Not meaning to insult you since I dont know how much of the game you are aware of. One of the things you can do is to look at the total Oil Storage and Production capacity and the various Fuels Storage and Production capacity across the Axis. Computate some relative value based on the Capacity values of each type of facility, modify based on the damage you have done to that industry and build yourself a ruler of sorts to estimate your effect on Fuel / Oil Storage and Production. Combine this with your efforts against Transportation and you should be able to correlate an effect with the Luftwaffe's ability to fly sorties over time.

You dont need to go to this level if immersion if you dont want to. You could just pop a brew and launch birds and watch it happen. It depends on how deep into the game you want to go. [8D]

Hope that this has at least given you some ideas.

Later,
KayBay [8D]
It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”