Question about stock WiTP

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ilovestrategy

Question about stock WiTP

Post by ilovestrategy »

I know this is the Admiral's Edition but I wanted to post here because I know I'll get a response. I have my income tax return coming next month and am thinking of getting WiTPAE, mainly because I love being part of a game forum and this one is really active. I love Storm over the Pacific but I want something more involved and time consuming. WiTE is not my thing, I like Pacific War history too much.

My question is, am I wasting my time giving stock WiTP(I have it) another shot or should I just wait for the AE?

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
witpqs

RE: Question about stock WiTP

Post by witpqs »

Buy AE now with a credit card, pay for it with your refund when that arrives. [:)]
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

AE has much more micromanagement than classical WITP.

Alfred
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Thanks guys! 
marky

Post by marky »

the new features are great. get it [:)]
stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I know this is the Admiral's Edition but I wanted to post here because I know I'll get a response. I have my income tax return coming next month and am thinking of getting WiTPAE, mainly because I love being part of a game forum and this one is really active. I love Storm over the Pacific but I want something more involved and time consuming. WiTE is not my thing, I like Pacific War history too much.

My question is, am I wasting my time giving stock WiTP(I have it) another shot or should I just wait for the AE?

Get it ! Get it now ! It is well worth it.

Go, now !
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

What's WITP? [;)][:'(]

I think some of the added features in AE such as patrolling ships/submarines and waypoints  to name a couple offset some of the additional time it takes spent on pilot training , it's more to manage but AE is a more enjoyable and realistic gaming experience than WITP , IMO.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
jomni

Post by jomni »

Better more coherent AI too but with the downside that you cannot delegate theaters anymore.

(BTW, I use to bash AE for being unnecessarily tedious.)
mbar

Post by mbar »

Heck why not give your WITP a shot. The time you spend with WITP will help you learn the basics and then you can focus on the new AE features if you get that.

It's all good.

Note though, AE is on sale until tomorrow morning for $53.99 download. After that it will be $79.99 download.
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Well give WitP a shot if it's a free one, so you can be sure that you absolutely want AE. AE is basically WitP with all the enhancements you'd wish for after a certain time at playing WitP. All improvements are to my taste and are a natural development of basic WitP features (ship repairs are more logical, air squadrons offer more management options, TFs get waypoints, search planes can show their search arcs, etc...). If you love WitP there are not many reasons - beside time consumption implied by additional micromanagement - why you wouldn't like AE. But if you don't like WitP, you'll hate AE.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sale or no sale, I still have to wait until income tax time.

At least it's not $150 like that Petrebo guy or how ever the hell you spell his name in General Discussion wants it to cost.

Jomni, what does delegate theaters mean?

jomni

Post by jomni »

In stock WITP, you can delegate for delegate certain HQ's under your command to AI control and focus on your main fronts. 
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Jomni, what does delegate theaters mean?

Actually, I think that was more about having the IA handling the Chinese case (and to a lesser extent SouthEast Asia), which is a big thorn in the side of any player who wants to focus on the Pacific theater. There's a "quiet China" scenario now, where everything is supposed to be frozen, but I am not quite sure it works 100% the way it's intended.
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

I am playing the Grand Campaign of AE (PBEM). China does not have to be quiet . . . yet it is. Why?

It did not take me - and I assume my opponent also - very long to figure out that not much happens without oodles of supplies. Well, I can assure you, there is always a supply shortage in China. Only a suicidal maniac will large launch offensives there, and he'll soon discover that it's a losing prospect.
berto

Post by berto »

After purchasing WITP:AE last autumn, I broke my New Year's resolution not to buy any games in 2011 on New Year's Day by purchasing WITP. [8|] (Couldn't resist the Christmas Sale price.)

Why?

By my estimation, WITP:AE is roughly at least 4X more involved and time consuming than WITP. (About 2X as much map area and bases. And up to 2X as many controls and options and rules to deal with. More auxiliary forces, too.)

WITP:AE is a fantastic game, IMO probably the best game ever. But it sure could play ... quicker.

When I'm looking for faster game play, and unless and until WITP:AE has more short-duration scenarios and campaigns, I'll consider WITP.

So far, WITP compares least favorably with WITP:AE for its AI. I can see indulging my penchant for hot-seat solitaire with WITP.

I found WITP's default map hard to like. Andrew Brown's map mod is a vast improvement. I wouldn't play WITP without it.

For the best game experience, no question it's AE. But they're both great games. WITP is like lunch; WITP:AE like a full-course dinner. Depending on my mood and time schedule, I anticipate playing both--but more and more AE as new scenarios for that game appear, as AE is patched nearer to "perfection" (WITP is no longer being patched), and as I become so adept at the system that AE plays quicker and becomes second nature.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

It's all downhill after you sortie out the subs from Manila...

[:D]

Ed-
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: berto

So far, WITP compares least favorably with WITP:AE for its AI. I can see indulging my penchant for hot-seat solitaire with WITP.

I played three WITP AI campaigns through to wins as Alllies, and the AE AI is 1000% better. The WITP AI gives a decent game for 6-8 months, then it goes dead. Turns turtle. The scripts just aren't there.

I once flipped sides and looked at Truk in 1944. The AI had over 100 AKs sitting at anchor, waiting for me to sink them.

With auto-subs on, the AI stacked USN subs off the HI so thickly that you could walk 500 miles out to sea and never get wet.

I booted up WITP once after playing AE for six months, and was amazed at how toy-like it looked and felt. I uninstalled it that day and never looked back.
The Moose
mbar

Post by mbar »

ORIGINAL: berto

After purchasing WITP:AE last autumn, I broke my New Year's resolution not to buy any games in 2011 on New Year's Day by purchasing WITP. [8|] (Couldn't resist the Christmas Sale price.)

Why?

By my estimation, WITP:AE is roughly at least 4X more involved and time consuming than WITP. (About 2X as much map area and bases. And up to 2X as many controls and options and rules to deal with. More auxiliary forces, too.)

WITP:AE is a fantastic game, IMO probably the best game ever. But it sure could play ... quicker.

When I'm looking for faster game play, and unless and until WITP:AE has more short-duration scenarios and campaigns, I'll consider WITP.

I found WITP's default map hard to like. Andrew Brown's map mod is a vast improvement. I wouldn't play WITP without it.

For the best game experience, no question it's AE. But they're both great games. WITP is like lunch; WITP:AE like a full-course dinner. Depending on my mood and time schedule, I anticipate playing both--but more and more AE as new scenarios for that game appear, as AE is patched nearer to "perfection" (WITP is no longer being patched), and as I become so adept at the system that AE plays quicker and becomes second nature.

Abstaining from purchases. I'll have to try that after Panzer Command: Ostfront is released. [:)]

This last AE patch added 3 short scenarios. I bet we will get a few more in the years to come.

I've been shutting off combat animations and combat summaries just to make the turns move quicker. I can read the combat reports latter. I'm experimenting with the settings so turns go a little faster.
berto

Post by berto »

Another reason I recently picked up WITP: I wanted to understand better how we got to AE.

Compared to AE, WITP does feel a bit toy-like. (The irony! WITP used to be the epitome of grognard games.) With the AB map mod, it looks like less of a toy.

Other than playing WITP hot-seat solitaire (solitaire AE might be too overwhelming), I too could foresee dumping WITP entirely. But for now, I'll continue to fool around with it.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Orig Poster sez

"am thinking of getting WiTPAE, mainly because I love being part of a game forum and this one is really active. "

Wanna guess why?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”