New Mod/Scenario, Early 1942 Campaign Start

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

alaric318

New Mod/Scenario, Early 1942 Campaign Start

Post by alaric318 »

best greetings,

well, i design this scenario at first for my own pleasure and have the chance to play the default scenario with some changes, at last instance, have two versions of the 1942 campaign, the main change is the start date, main scenario start at june 42, with good wheater, my version start in april 42, so, there will be some mud turns before the full summer is on the run.

the german setup as all redone, the order of battle all rebuild and resupplied at 90 experience, the 4 panzer armies are again at full strength and can do some dmg to soviets, one panzer army is just in front of moscow,

at his south flank is the second panzer army, around briansk,
and the other two are deployed around kharkov,

the german player have the choice with the two panzer armies in the north to crush the briansk salient, given coordination with both panzer armies as north/south spearheads, or the panzer army in front of moscow can go for moscow on his own, and then, with the second make pressure on briansk soviet zone, or send the second panzer army to support the two around kharkov on his upcoming offensive to the caucasus and stalingrad,

german infantry is all elite, but given the density and quantity of soviets units and fortifications, aside them can do some damage this proven to be costly in men and guns for infantry alone,
around leningrad there are few chances for a german offensive, as there are not armor support,

i added four "Red Banner" (guards/shock units, historically) to soviets starting setup featuring seasoned soviets veterans from the 1941 summer/winter offensives,
each banner have 6x infantry divisions and 4x tank corps, at start, them are not set for a counter offensive, just to fill the damage the germans may/will do to the main soviet line,

near all frontline/theater is at 3 fortification level, some less in the south, for the soviets, the main forces of the 11st german army (historically given siege to sevastopol) have been sent to main south sector for increase the chances of a collapse of the soviet south frontline, anyway, i have to say, sevastopol still falls in the first turn of playtest, the only i done, as all seems to work fine in the scenario.

i think there are better chances for the germans on this version to make a limited win, but as historical, it will be very hard to take moscow or leningrad.

mainly done this "remake" for my own pleasure, i guess some players, once they try the 42/45 campaign may like to try some different, if you find some big unbalance i encourage to use the options/customize options to make some different setting,

in example, i are to play this scenario with soviets at 90% morale and some bonus for the germans, and both sides with logistic bonus, but that is some each player have to choose.

i hope there will not be any bugs, my generic data is changed, but not included, so, i guess there will be not problems between versions.

War In The East Version... 1.01 Mod Date... 22/December/2010.

have my best regards and my best wishes on fun to those that want to try the scenario, i hope you enjoy the scenario, i want to mean,
-------

download link... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LF9MV93T

install... by default directory structure, /war in the east/dat/scen/

have fun and best regards,

Murat30/Alarick.
There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.
Rosseau

RE: New Mod/Scenario, Early 1942 Campaign Start

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks Murat. I will download and see how it loads up. I am a novice, so will not be able to fully test it just yet. But the more scenarios, the better. Best wishes to you.
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Thanks Murat. I will download and see how it loads up. I am a novice, so will not be able to fully test it just yet. But the more scenarios, the better. Best wishes to you.

best greetings and regards, i hope you get a nice time with the scenario, the german starts stronger than soviet and than historically but is the best chance to make some real damage to the "each day increasing" soviet army, if the later mud and then the winter 42/43 sets on, the german will need to start thinking to become on the defensive, the good point is that the german start with enough victory points to achieve some victory, maybe a minor victory, and this is sinergic with the increased quality of german troops, so, i advice that may be more fun to play as german,

i still dont play it, as i are on my 1942 april barbarossa scenario with elite germans and some changes on my generic data (early soviet rifle corps, early soviet mech corps and brigades, whom got the better equipment, but that need much playtest, and at this point is early for share generic data files, as said, them affect the whole Wite install and indeed that may upset just right, some players),

[ Edit - the main reason to make this "remake" from the default scenario has been to allow the 1942 setup/deployment with the best german army, just one more extra setting to try ],

for me, to make one scenario or mod is as some kind of art, make a portray, make music and so on, see to work it as intended and people playing it, is allways the best reward,

with best regards,

Murat30/Alarick.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, I agree with your thinking on the changes to the 1942 scenario. It would seem to be better balanced and increase playability for the German. As said in another post, sometimes the exact historical way can be boring? And yes, I am almost afraid to edit generic data even for my own use.

I'm sure it was a lot of work. But worth it just to see how things turn out. Thanks again. You are the first to post a new scenario, I think.

Question I have: Shift-V in the editor allows changes to the VP locations. But Shift-O (for AI objectives) doesn't seem to do anything...
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Yes, I agree with your thinking on the changes to the 1942 scenario. It would seem to be better balanced and increase playability for the German. As said in another post, sometimes the exact historical way can be boring? And yes, I am almost afraid to edit generic data even for my own use.

I'm sure it was a lot of work. But worth it just to see how things turn out. Thanks again. You are the first to post a new scenario, I think.

Question I have: Shift-V in the editor allows changes to the VP locations. But Shift-O (for AI objectives) doesn't seem to do anything...

best greetings,

most of the time with wargames in general, the real balance is to find the middle point between realism and playability, but even realistic not much balanced scenarios, desperate fights on one of the sides may be fun to play, as well, as most of the players, users and the development+tester team said, the big advantage is that we are not to do the mistakes that was there in the actual war, about perfection is difficult to make one or more scenario/s that go to be on the taste of all gamers, as each of we have one different concept of perfect scenario, all that said, my changes in the 1942 campaign scenario are done with the main purpose of give the german more flexibility than in the default version, well, also, my version is completely un-historical, only playtest may show if it is really well balanced to some degree for the better.

about your question, i, for some time tonight, was too in the editor with the objectives settings and trying to learn how it works, i may be wrong, but i guess these options are for the "short scenarios" , not for any campaign based scenario, as if we set in the main parameter screen of one given campaign scenario to "short scenario" victory conditions, when you run the scenario you only can see the victory conditions by the campaign setting, so i think somehow it is hard-coded and we can not make changes there, i left it out by now, given i are more biased to campaign scenarios, if it works, it can screw the victory conditions, as both, hard-coded campaign victory conditions and the customized from the editor may be both active, and the scenario will not work as intended, i was just in hope to maybe increase the value of the campaign victory setting, city 1 vp, light urban 3vp and hvy urban 5 vp, well, increase somehow them for give a good challenge for both factions on the 1943/1944 war.

so, my advice about it is to left it without changes, as if you set, in example, a light urban to 0 victory points per turn and 05 victory points Eg (end game), that may be added to the default victory setting for a light urban, going to screw completely the scenario setting purpose,

feel free to ask any question about scenario edit, if it is at my hand i will try to help,

have my best regards, and too i wish you good gaming,

Murat30.
bevans

Post by bevans »

Murat, by '1942 barbarosa', do you mean a scenario where the Germans don't invade until 1942? Have been trying to do that myself but the work is fairly intimidating. I kind of hoped that I could just run from June '41 with changes to withdrawal/reinforcement schedules, some tinkering with production levels and changing the German TOEs for '43 and on (a delayed invasion should mean that the Germans would not have had to downgrade divisional, especially infantry, TOEs). Have left the Soviet historical TOEs as is because they get better as the war continues, so don't need tweaking. Anyway, if you don't attack the Russians on June 22nd, they will attack you. So I am now thinking of the June '41 start as being a 'Phoney War', as per France after the initial declarations of war in '39. Not what i would like to do, but probably the limit of my capabilities/time availability and playing through on that premise. Will at least be a very different tactical and strategic challenge as presumably the Germans will push forward to a better starting position in '41 and not suffer the worst of the '41/42 winter effects. Both sides should be much stronger in the spring of '42 than they were historically.

Would be very interested in what you are doing (if I interpreted your remark correctly).
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

best greetings, if you mean about my "the last blitzkrieg" scenario, i was yous trying to give the german the best of options for win the war/scenario, but this setup is with the war and front-lines as default 1942 case blue, stock scenario, moscow and leningrad are near besieged, i just re-do the german army with the "what if" in mind that they dont suffer from the winter 1941, so, they have his elite army even better than historically, i cannot add all the changes i want, as i given the soviet the ability to form rifle corps from begining of scenario, and some extra elite reserves, for the soviet, for all scenarios, the most decisive feature is the morale, i will not setup it higher than 120 (at 125 they got an admin. check bonus) but on the other hand, at 100 or 90 the soviets will have in this scenario a very hard time with retreat casualties, the soviet air force growth in strenght fast, but is not enough to stop the germans in the south or where they send the panzer armies/groups, i won against the AI opponent this scenario, with "house rules" for victory conditions (67% of total Victory Points for 10 consecutive turns), apart of this, my advice of about a "later barbarossa" will have the 1941 setup, but with near all german army at high experience level, 90 to 99 or so experience, 14 combat value for infantry divisions, about the better date for me, it is 05 june, with no-random wheater, untill 19 june in odd turns the wheater is clear, i think, well, so, 05 june go to 12 june, (even turn, mud wheater) but then to 19 june to clear wheater, and is a big difference, as you will get one extra clear turn or two in the end of september to 09 october (06 june will send the date to 10 october that is auto-mud wheater), i guess the setup may be different, in fact, for my later barbarossa 42 scenario, i change the starting front-lines, and we can argue about the what if, of the germans, dont given east poland to the soviets, fact that would have setup the starting front-line near minsk, well, as you said, this can have been upset the soviets and they may have attacked the germans if they dont honor the molotov-ribbentrop pact of poland partition on 1939, again, i have to say, i cannto make public my later scenario because i made changes in the Table of Equipment and the date (from start) that the soviets have his corps size units available, i made around 7 soviet reserve armies with around 3 to 4 infantry corps and one tank corps, i reduced the cost of main battle tanks of soviets, but still can say how it develops, as i dont have get still the time needed for test the scenario, so i encourage the 1941 setup, maybe giving some ground to the germans, date for 05 june for 02 extra summer clear turns (+1 mud), and of course make available the axis forces in romania (set units and HQ's to
[ Frozen = 0 ] and maybe deploy a weak cavalry or infantry soviet division in romania's ground), also, you need to give at least 3 or some more cities to the germans, and give ground to finland (i take care about some post that said about if you dont have 3 cities taken by 1942, finland surrenders) (was happening to me, but with the help of the forum i manage to avoid it, as said, some ground to finland and maybe the north of romania zone to germany control (3 to 4 cities), please excuse my poor english and i hope that help you in making a good scenario, also, you can check my other scenarios here in the forum if you want, with stronger germans and early barbarossa, but is not my final work, i cannot send my data files to the forum as them are used by all scenarios, then, my changes will affect each and all scenarios in a given install of the game,

best regards,

Murat30/Alarick.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”