Buy now or later ?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

tomar

Buy now or later ?

Post by tomar »

A question to those who are intensively using WITE

Would you recommend to buy it now or wait a bit for future patches ?

The background to the question is that I have been disappointed too many times by rushing into a buy for products that in fact were not quite ready yet.. This leads to frustration and negativity towards that particular title and company. Sometimes it is better to wait until the product is polished to get good first impressions and positive experiences

Important things are

- Is the game stable ? (nothing worse than a game that wont launch or that crashes too often)
- Is the interface user friendly and easy to use ?
- Does the game system make sense historically (do you get realistic results when taking historically realistic actions)

Thanks
Sheytan

RE: Buy now or later ?

Post by Sheytan »

Now...

yes

sort of :} its massive by that I mean the data you have access to is a wet dream for a micromanager if you wish to be.

yes
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Buy now. I have seen nothing that really effects the game's play to any degree and I'm well in to 1943 on a CG. While there are a few very things reported by others, had someone else not found them, I would have not even noticed. For a big game, this is VERY bug free. I've bought some real bowsers myself over the years, so I feel qualified to compare.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

I think we have all have bought some bowsers over the years. And hey, someone other than me uses the term "bowsers"!
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

When I was a kid, "bowser" was used to describe those old hounds that used to sleep on the wooden plank sidewalks in town all day in central Texas. They were ugly, useless, and nobody claimed them. Sounds like a bad game to me.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

- Is the game stable ? (nothing worse than a game that wont launch or that crashes too often)

Has not crashed outright on either my Dell XPS Laptop widescreen (now 5 years old but XP) or my Dell Dimension 8250 (6 years old but XP)

I do occaisionally get the unit side bar freezing and have to save, exit, and restart but I have yet to lose any turns or moves. My opinion - very stable with XP.
- Is the interface user friendly and easy to use ?

Every game I have bought seems to have a different interface, and it takes time to learn the interface. For basic attacking and moving, no problems. For delving deeper into the micro aspects, it can be confusing until mastered.
- Does the game system make sense historically (do you get realistic results when taking historically realistic actions)

The game system feels very authentic. Units can move, attack, move again, repeat until out of mps, in the same turn. Gives a very good feel to the early German break outs. Not so sure about the static time frame of the game, not there yet. And as other post have taken great pains to point out, the Air War is a bit abstract but it seems to feel right to me (just my opinion).

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

No real reason not to buy now. The game is easy to pick up, great fun and it's stable (for me at least)
Alba gu' brath
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

I'm on the fence too. I have an older computer with XP a 2.4 processor and 2G RAM so that part seems ok. I have no idea if my video card can be updated to the "latest" drivers nor do I have any clue how to do it if new drivers are available. I have been waiting for tis game for a long time but now I find myself hesitant to buy because of my video card.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Remember that wargames don't really need über video cards (unlike FPS). One thing is surprising: no bugs which kill the game so far [:)] So I would buy it (I already did).
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Tzar007

Post by Tzar007 »

To your questions:

1) Yes. No major bugs. No crashes in dozens of hours of gameplay in my case.
2) It's not perfect. The learning curve of the most complex functions is pretty steep. The interface is similar to WiTP but more simplified and improved, and like anything else, you get used to it.
3) I have been a WW2 buff for more than 20 years. I have read countless books about it, and a lot about Eastern front and seriously, the historical detail and realism is unmatched for an Eastern front grand operational game. This is THE game.

There's no gain in waiting unless you really want to pay less and you are waiting for it to be on sale. But is it worth its undiscounted 80$ price tag ? It is. During the Xmas holidays, I am certainly going to pass the 80 hours of gameplay in total since buying and that means less than 1$ an hour of pleasure. It is as cheap as it is.
Grouchy

Post by Grouchy »

See no reason to not buy it now. The game is rock steady (for me) and feels & looks polished to me.
I'm having a great time with WitE, bought it when it came out and my sleep still suffers because of it. It really can catch you.

However, your GF might however have a somewhat different opinion, esp. during the upcomming holidays [;)]
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Remember that wargames don't really need über video cards (unlike FPS). One thing is surprising: no bugs which kill the game so far [:)] So I would buy it (I already did).

That's good to know. I've never had any problems with the card but I don't play the high graphics games, I'm more of an HPS type gamer.

Damn, might have to leave this choice up to Santa!
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

- Gary Grigsby's War in the East never crashed om my system. I would say it is stable.
- I say the interface is very user friendly and very successful. But there are already several posts from players who are unhappy with the interface. [8|]
- Whether the game system makes sense? Whether the results are realistic? If you would believe the forum members - yes!

And yes, I would highly recommend now to buy.
It has been my experience that with the purchase of games from Matrix, you'll not just become the owner of a new game, but also a member of a community of interests which, especially as a member of the forums WiTP:AE and WitE, quite by knowledge, skill and originality convince white. [:)]

Apart from this matrix provides a customer service second to none.
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

NOW dude - NOW! Give yourself one of the best Christmas gifts you'll ever get! Do it NOW!

Was I clear enough?
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have had no operating problems, the game is huge, but easy to start and play 'out of the box', you can pick up the detail as you go along. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Motomouse

Post by Motomouse »

Now. Buy it now!

... now back to the game ...

Ceterum censeo pantherae ludi impensus vendere
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

As a long time player of Gary Grigsby's games - Pacific War, 2nd Front, the 1993 War in the East, Beyond Valor, War in the Pacific and Admiral's addition, purchase of WITE is a must have. However, I have just started a new Admirals Edition WitP game, and am really on a roll. As I am at that point where I have a solid grasp of the rules and mechanics of the game, the burn is to get on with it - with two weeks of Christmas Break - and play daily,

The bottom line - despite the "get it now" urge - which I have to battle daily, WITE will wait till February. There is no question what would happen if I bought and downloaded - everything else would go out the door.

Sooo - I will follow the forums with great interest, and learn as much as I can - while busily spreading peace and good will across the Pacific - my way.

Please keep up the informative posts, I hope to join you soon - once I have worked thru the first couple of months of AE - and all the setup early war stuff (read hours per turn) is done.

My Greetings to the Great Stalin - I Will join him soon, in the War against the Fascist Exploiters of the Toiling Masses (hmmm, maybe that was Chairman Mao, The Great Helsman....)

Mac
LAV-25 2147
MengJiao

Post by MengJiao »

ORIGINAL: comsolut

Has not crashed outright on either my Dell XPS Laptop widescreen (now 5 years old but XP) or my Dell Dimension 8250 (6 years old but XP)

I do occaisionally get the unit side bar freezing and have to save, exit, and restart but I have yet to lose any turns or moves. My opinion - very stable with XP.

Stable on Windows 7 too.
tomar

Post by tomar »

Thanks guys for  the responses

well I had no choice left but to buy it seeing as how everyone is so positive about it....

now I have to find time to actually play it...... since lately I bought the Battlefield Academy series , the Field of Glory series (not to mention Hannibal against Rome) and am playing many MP games there, I got my hands ful ;)...

I guess I should get a matrix medal or something
Krec

Post by Krec »

NOW!!
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”