SS Units!

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Texican

SS Units!

Post by Texican »

Would be cool to have some SS units. Maybe they could have pros and cons, such as higher combat values and more resilience, but they might do unexpected undesirable stuff like ransack a town, eliminating its supply value, or causing a chance of Partisan units to pop up behind your lines. Even better, enemy units fight harder when they are backed into a corner and might surrender (i.e., don't want to surrender to the S.S.).

Maybe SS units are only allowed "elite" replacements, making them more expensive to keep in fighting shape.

Just some thoughts.
ccsdc83

RE: SS Units!

Post by ccsdc83 »

I would not mind the SS units, but I doubt they will make an appearance in stock form due to obvious reasons. Maybe modders will put them in if possible though.
TR

Post by TR »

Wouldn't this be already simulated by the player. What I mean is, SS units were superior because they got the cream of the recruits and were the first to be reinforced. All you really need is the ability to designate a unit as SS or elite and/or to change the name of the unit. After that, either you or the game (whoever controls the replacement intake) do whatever needs to be done to keep the unit intact.

Anyway, just my humble opinion.
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

All you really need is the ability to designate a unit as SS or elite and/or to change the name of the unit.

This feature is in the game, just rename your best equipped units into whatever you like as an Elite unit. For obvious juridical, commercial and marketing reasons we cannot include any SS or Nazi symbols into the game, as we sell worldwide.

But I have no doubt the fan community will have a small modification out in no time, who are not bound to certain rules.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Battlefield Academy has "Waffen SS" infantry units, so I think we can have units named "2nd SS Das Reich" at the start of certain campaigns? Probably not "1st SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler", but we need to abbreviate such a long name anyway, like "1st SS LAH".

Not saying that we will, but I think that's allowed "within the rules" (which I can't help but think are silly).
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Only symbols are taken into account, so 1st SS Panzer Div. LAH and such should be no problem.
dsawan

Post by dsawan »

I agree. they shd have some special features. "Maybe they could have pros and cons, such as higher combat values and more resilience, but they might do unexpected undesirable stuff like ransack a town, eliminating its supply value, or causing a chance of Partisan units to pop up behind your lines. Even better, enemy units fight harder when they are backed into a corner and might surrender (i.e., don't want to surrender to the S.S.). "

This would give the Axis player some benefit and spice the game a little.

Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Battlefield Academy has "Waffen SS" infantry units

I somehow felt those units performed under-rated considering the prestige of their name. However, for play balance purposes, I felt it was fine. Only problem I disliked in that game was how opportunity fire worked.

Anyhow, please add an SS-Tiger unit, those are always my favourites. (Kings would be preferred :P)

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Texican

Post by Texican »

Conversely, when they get an "Allied Armored Corps" version of the game out, there could be "Guards" units.

Again, I think any elite unit should be stronger, but have some negative that goes with it, and primarily that "negative" would be requiring ONLY elite replacements, thereby making those units expensive to maintain.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

In Battle Field Academy the counter unit to the SS-Waffen I believe was the US Airborne.  I think it was as close to a mirror unit as possible (at least game wise). That one was supposed to be a more elite unit than the standard troops you'd get with the US (which is historically accurate). Also, on the darker side, the US Airborne were notorius for warcrimes, so again we have a bit of a mirror unit.

However, having an elite Sherman unit, just doesn't seem to.... how do I say this.... come across many fans very well.

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

BBC BA also has US Rangers.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa
All you really need is the ability to designate a unit as SS or elite and/or to change the name of the unit.

This feature is in the game, just rename your best equipped units into whatever you like as an Elite unit. For obvious juridical, commercial and marketing reasons we cannot include any SS or Nazi symbols into the game, as we sell worldwide.

But I have no doubt the fan community will have a small modification out in no time, who are not bound to certain rules.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

Always thought this was BS...sell different "censored" versions to those countries (Germany) that have a problem with the symbols then. I never understood how pretending it didn't happen is a good thing. It's history and seems almost as though we get rid of the symbol and we can pretend the holocaust didn't happen sort of thing. I'm sure Germany is hoping we'll all forget after another 50 years of no symbol [8|]
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

It is a bit of a hassle to make a SEPARAT version, just so sales can go on in Germany (not sure how much market share they make up total of sales). Ironically, Firaxis couldn't ship Hitler in Civ IV to Germany, so they dropped that option and instead switched the leader to Stalin (a large murderer). Yet suddenly that was all ok now (except some Ruskies may have raised some eyebrows). So, lesson to be learned governments & people are hypocrites. Yes, not just the U.S. but just about everywhere else too.

Speaking of, I remember way back when I got into the Civil War General series. It wasn't until I started playing sierra set, that I suddenly found out that many people in the U.S. get absolutely irate at the Confederate flag. Now, I may not be a fan of slavery, but does that mean I'm supposed to feel guilty now every time I take over R. E. Lee's armies? It's a HISTORY GAME... And it's not that the North Americans were any angles either, that is for sure.

I can't help but notice in CWGII they dropped the Robert E. Lee title altogether, and instead focused on a more mixed or pro-Northern perspective. I suppose the topic discussed may have had some reason for this..

But alas... even at the Civil War reinactments there seems to be growing protests as of late...(it is just a re-inactment people!) it's an issue that's over a hundred years old, and seems it still causes quite a stir. Politicians don't even like to touch that one..

Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Couldn't agree more. History is full or horrible war crimes dating back from the stone age, yet it's ok to feature all this in games, but SS symbols? Oh no! Wargames shouldn't be turned into political platforms.
Anyway it's not our decision, and considering how hypocritical people can be I fully understand Slitherine is very weary about "nazi associations". We have the correct German WW2 warflag icons for the game laying around, and I think we can release them "unofficialy" as a sort of mod for those who dislike the "fantasy flag" with the german cross.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

Always thought this was BS...sell different "censored" versions to those countries (Germany) that have a problem with the symbols then. I never understood how pretending it didn't happen is a good thing. It's history and seems almost as though we get rid of the symbol and we can pretend the holocaust didn't happen sort of thing. I'm sure Germany is hoping we'll all forget after another 50 years of no symbol [8|]

Sadly with the way the educational system is thats bound to happen sooner rather than later....My daughters school just glosses over the stuff that didnt involve the USA in WW2..And its one of the better schools here.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

As far as I know the King Tigers very often perform much more poorer than 'regular' Tigers.

This was caused by supply problems that Germany has in the late war (since 1944).

Of course on the paper Tiger II was better than I, but the poor quality makes them much more vulnerable to enemy AT fire.

I'm not an expert, just my two cents about what I have heard.
Jestre

Post by Jestre »

All of the shortcomings of the Tiger II that I am aware of were logistical. They were too heavy for many bridges, were awful on fuel and were difficult to move in a fluid situation in addition to breakdown problems. In combat they were unparalleled. The Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 503 claimed approximately 500 kills in the period from January to April 1945 while losing 45 Tiger IIs (most of which were abandoned and destroyed by their own crews after mechanical breakdowns or lack of fuel).

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Surprise. ;-)

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ
ccsdc83

Post by ccsdc83 »

Nice Panther there....the artwork for the surrounding fields, houses, etc look really nice next to that I assume city objective.
I like the different values for the tank as well. You know that I have played Panzer General way to much when you already know what the symbols mean [8D]
Keep up the good work we are waiting for this excellent title.
phcas

Post by phcas »

Hi,

Some questions

We can see a screenshot of a SS Panther of "Das Reich" and see a unit sign in the place of the country sign. I think it is done very nice. What will we see back of this in the game?

*Can we purchase units with Division/Batallion signs and names like Grossdeutschland or Das Reich?

*If so, will the Allied side have this option also?

*Are SS units (cammoflage) like on the screenshot realy in the game? If so, Infantry? Tanks?

*What about the future plans. Will PanzerCorps get a "Allied General" brother in time? Modern General?

*Will it realy be 15 june........

Last thing to say. I think it is not to realistic to let the (Opel)trucks or Sdkfz 251 halftracks tow all the heavy artillery. The Sdkfz 7, 8 or 9 prime mover will do better. A Sdkfz 7 towing a 88mm Flak 18 gun is what the historical pictures are showing us.

I am looking very much forward to this game, thanks for making it.

Greetings Caspar

Return to “Panzer Corps”