Version 1.0.2 has a deadly AI

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

PJJ

Version 1.0.2 has a deadly AI

Post by PJJ »

Seriously. I've played three games on hard difficulty and got thoroughly beaten twice. Thoroughly meaning I didn't really stand a chance. Once I was able to siege Rome successfully and captured it on turn 19.

I'm not seeing the small one or two legion armies making suicidal invasions any more, so those easy kills and promotions are history. Overall, the AI seems to be doing a better job at concentrating its forces and making it really hard for me to surprise it. I made a couple of mistakes, and if the hard level AI wasn't exactly forgiving before, now it eats me for breakfast and then goes on a killing spree. [:D]

If you're tired of your typical helpless AI opponents, give this game a try...
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
anarchyintheuk

RE: Version 1.0.2 has a deadly AI

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Dropped 3 straight to it myself before I won one. Definitely a change of pace.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

It's strange, the first time I played on hard with the new update Hannibal faced off against a Roman general I couldn't ambush in the first battle.   I ended up winning but it was no rout.  Really made the early game tense.

I don't know if this is just random bad luck or if it's a feature of the update.
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

You can't ambush against a Roman general with a rating over (5, I think.) I've had this happen to me in the first battle on the Introductory level.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Yeah, I think I was facing a 6 rated general, I can't remember the name.  Actually had to work for my first victory.

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”