Artwork and user interface

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

jay102

Artwork and user interface

Post by jay102 »

Hi developers and fans of WitE.

From the screen shots, I feel the map artwork is somewhat too abstract, resembling a cardboard map other than real-world terrain. And unit icons look a bit unharmonious with the map. Will it be improved further? The map of WitP:AE is a good example, more eyes appealing.

For the UI, is there a special UI designer in dev team? For such a massive game, the convenience and friendliness of UI is very important. WitP:AE is a great game but its UI is deficient. I expect WitE will be much better.
Hard Sarge

RE: Artwork and user interface

Post by Hard Sarge »

greesh, the map is very pretty (spelling fails me)

if you look back though some of my posts (if you care) I showed off a number of shots of how the game has changed over the time I have been in it (I got a new computer so all of my "old" files are not in place, to easily dig them back out)

the UI ? very workable, lots of details, lots of data, with in data, you on one screen, and want more info, very easy to just get it from that screen

but over all, most games are based on menu's

most games, where the designers brag about making the UI easier, are really just dumbing down the game (Civ V, Dargons Age. Awakening, Mass Effect 2)

I think to most, when they first see the game, the map, units and UI are going to overwhelm most of them, but once you get into it, it is very easy to get to what you want, and plays well

the main Artist is PencilPusher, and he is one of the best I have seen for our type of games
TPM

Post by TPM »

ORIGINAL: jay102

Hi developers and fans of WitE.

From the screen shots, I feel the map artwork is somewhat too abstract, resembling a cardboard map other than real-world terrain. And unit icons look a bit unharmonious with the map. Will it be improved further? The map of WitP:AE is a good example, more eyes appealing.

For the UI, is there a special UI designer in dev team? For such a massive game, the convenience and friendliness of UI is very important. WitP:AE is a great game but its UI is deficient. I expect WitE will be much better.

Gotta jump in here and say I for one LOVE the map and the counters...simple and elegant. No need for further improvement in my opinion.
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

The map is really good imo, about the counters... I hope you like them, I did my best to choose their colors.
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

I'd like to see it like Storm Over in the Pacific but, they did a much better job than the old hex games.
kirkgregerson

Post by kirkgregerson »

I'd like to see it like Storm Over in the Pacific but, they did a much better job than the old hex games.

This is a joke right? [&:] If not, it should be.  Storm Over in the Pacific?  I actually bought that game and it has been collecting dust on my shelf after maybe 1-3 days messing around with it. IMO bad UI and average graphics. Maybe if they do some work on it in later patches I'll look at it again. It had great potential and I guess still does.
[:(]

I've been playing hex games (board and computer) for 20+ years and this is the best yet! Kudos to Gary and company. FYI: I go way back to SSI in the 80's with the pilot "Gary Grigsby's War in Russia" for Apple ]['s. Another fav was "Operation Market Garden".

How does Joel Billings still look so young? [:D] old photo at 2by3 games? Maybe Grecian Formula? [:'(]
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

the main Artist is PencilPusher, and he is one of the best I have seen for our type of games
Still needling PixelPusher are ya? [:D]
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

I feel the map artwork is somewhat too abstract, resembling a cardboard map other than real-world terrain.

This is what Goran posted in another thread... I hope this helps... [:)]

ORIGINAL: goranw

Uploaded is a small part of a typical real German OKH- map that was widely used.
(Its the German 9th army and The Soviet positions-43)
Its easy to see some resemblence with the map in
"War in the East". I find that very inspiring. Very often
game maps are to fancy and totally unrealistic. Of course a map cant be
altogether realistic because of the need for some abstractions and game-help.
Goran

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

From the screen shots, I feel the map artwork is somewhat too abstract, resembling a cardboard map other than real-world terrain.

That was the design goal. We did not want "real" terrain for this at all.
On such a monster game a good portion of abstraction is needed for the map.
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

Guy's if you want another map why don't you mod one to suit your own tastes then share it with us.

Great game map and counters, the download went like a dream, so smooth.

Right my request, will we be gett'in a planning map similar to WitP/AE with all the locations named I.E. dots.
Having read numerous books on the subject IMO this would enhance my gaming experience, or better still the actual game map with all locations named or would this be too cluttered.

Thanks to everyone concerned with the production of this masterpiece.
CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane »

Second the request for a planning map.
Names of all towns is of less importance, but something to hang on the wall so you don't miss the big picture.
I'm considering simply starting the '41 campaign, toggle units off, and then take screenshots en masse.
Not sure it'll work, but worth a shot.

Btw, if you type in 'operation Barbarossa planning map' in Google, and then press 'Maps' it guides you to Highland Hill Shrubs and Trees in Pennsylvania......
I wonder what they're planning over there. [:D]
"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder
Tzar007

Post by Tzar007 »

I love the map too. I wouldn't have wanted a real-terrain map like a satellite picture. Real-terrain maps are helpful in tactical games such as Close Combat, but become hopelessly cluttered and useless in strategic and operational games. As Goranw says above, the map of WITE is reminiscent of those OKW historical maps and it is definetely a plus on the immersion side. Kudos to the map design !
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

Btw, if you type in 'operation Barbarossa planning map' in Google, and then press 'Maps' it guides you to Highland Hill Shrubs and Trees in Pennsylvania......
I wonder what they're planning over there.

A HA, MAYBE THIS WAS A US/NATO TRAINING AREA DURING THE COLD WAR.
They cordoned off a area in Kent prior to D-Day for training as it resembled Normandy.
goranw

Post by goranw »

Hi!
Until better possibilities you could download the map with frontlines in a thread above.
It has a lot of town/city names. Done on a zoom 4 map.
Goran
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

Thanks Goran I download the frontlines map a few days back, if you guys could expand upon it with all locations named IMO this would make a excellent planning or game map.
Swayin

Post by Swayin »

Just to respond to the OP, I have to say I think the map and counters are best I've ever seen, including UV, WifP, and WitP/AE ... just superb.
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

From the screen shots, I feel the map artwork is somewhat too abstract, resembling a cardboard map other than real-world terrain. And unit icons look a bit unharmonious with the map.
I have to say that my first impressions were similar. The map looks 'cartoonish' and the counters seem to belong to a differently styled game.

Now that I'm playing the game I think that these characteristics are, after all, a blessing. The "abstract" map let me immediately recognize the relevant terrain features of hexes and hexsides. A WitP look would (perhaps) have been more pleasant but, IMHO, less clear. The fact that units 'stick out' is also useful because if they would blend (colour-wise) with the map, it would be harder to tell at a glance what's going on.

So, what about this bright units/subdued map combination? Aesthetically pleasant? Don't know, too subjective. Useful? Definitely.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I'll admit that it took some getting used to for me, but I like it a lot now.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I love the map and I love the counters! For the first time I don't think I am going to have to go into the graphics files and change the counters to my liking. I love the cardboard look and I only use NATO symbols so it's a win, win for me.

Great job!
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

Anyway, the map should be 'patched', sooner or later, since there's a typo in the key! [:)] (Capitol for Capital)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”