Maximum Shots

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Obsolete

Maximum Shots

Post by Obsolete »

As I understand it, all motorized units have a maximum of 3 shots, when either defending or attacking.

I am curious why the max I see listed in the logs is 2.

Smite: GERMAN 10th Panzer Div, 2/7 Pz, (anti-armor), attrition%= 6.
GERMAN anti armor max shots per target: 2.
GERMAN anti personnel max shots per target: 2.

ALLIED anti armor max shots per target: 2.
ALLIED anti personnel max shots per target: 2
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
el cid

RE: Maximum Shots

Post by el cid »

3 is the maximum shots it can fire, and 2 is teh maximum shots it will received if shot at.

For examply with 5 Matildas you can make a maximum of 15 shots (3x5)

If the 5 Matildas were facing 100 tanks, the program will start to calculate the posibility of shooting at tank 1, then at tank 2 ect.

If a tank get shot at it would receive two shots.

So maybe it shoots at tanks number 6, 18, 23, 25, 32, 45, 47 (thats 2x7 = 14 shots), and then it shoots at tank 53, but it will shoot only once more, and the rest of the tanks (54 to 100) will not even do calculation of seing if they are shot at.

Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Well I am still puzzled why my anti-armour max shows 2 instead of 3 then.

I also noticed looking in the logs, I never even get a total of 1 shot per tank in my units. I am guessing that may be because I am not using the IGNORE LOSSES option, which causes them to abort the battle too early before the max is reached?

el cid

Post by el cid »

I probably did not explain myself correctly.

The two is not the shots each tank can shoot, but the maximum of shots each tank will take.

Side A fires on side B. Depeding on the anti armor total force of side A, and some other factors each tank from side B will have X% of getting shot at.

First tank of side B is examined againts that X%, and I guess something like a dice roll is thrown. If the dice is above that X% the tank does not take any shots.

Second tank of side B is examined against that X%. Imagine it fails the dice roll. Then it will take 1st one shot, and if its not destroyed it will take a second shot. But that is it, it will take a maximum of two shots.

So if it got shot at 2 times, those two shots will be subtracted out of the maximum number of shots side A can shoot, which would be (number of tanks) * (3 shots per tank). If side A has only one tank it could shoot 3 shots, so it would still have 1 shot left.

Third tank of side B is examined against that X%. It passes and takes no shots.

Fourth tank of side B is examined against that X%. Imagine it fails the dice roll. Now it takes one shot. And thats it. Side A has ran out of shots.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Ok thanks El, I understand it a lot better now.

ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: el cid

I probably did not explain myself correctly.

The two is not the shots each tank can shoot, but the maximum of shots each tank will take.
El Cid,
An excellent description, better than I could have done.

This has changed slightly in 3.4. There was a very subtle bug that meant that it was always limited to 2 shots. I noticed the same issue about always showing two shots when I was looking into the scenario with the flamethrower tank. It didn't make much of a difference in that scenario, BTW.

It now varies between 1 and 8 shots the way the original design was supposed to do. In 3.2, if you have one tank, it gets 2 shots taken at it, period. In 3.4, it can have up to 8 shots if it's outnumbered badly enough, and it is likely to get only one return shot instead of 2. For that scenario, the shots were very likely to ping off, so it normally didn't make a difference.

This means that a swarm of weak tanks will have more shots against a smaller number of armored units. They still have to penetrate the armor, so I don't expect it to make a huge difference in most scenarios, although I am very curious to hear what effect it has on scenarios. Strong tanks are still likely to need only one shot, and weak tanks can fire all day without penetrating.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: Obsolete
Ok thanks El, I understand it a lot better now.
Good eye. While El Cid is correct in his explanation, that behavior has changed slightly in 3.4.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”