Semi-Interactive AAR: Return Road to Kharkov

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: rickier65

Erik Rutins

Semi-Interactive AAR: Return Road to Kharkov

Post by Erik Rutins »

Here's a new AAR for this week, this time dealing with a small battle on the way to Kharkov in 1943. Steve "Mobius" Lorenz, the designer of the original Panzer War rules, also designed this scenario and created the map for it. Here's the briefing:

Return Road to Kharkov - March 5th, 1943

- Historical Overview -

The Germans who were forced out of Kharkov a month earlier have begun a new offensive to retake the city. A reconnaissance force from the 1st SS Panzer Grenadier Division is leading the advance. Meanwhile a detachment from a nearby Soviet Cavalry Corps is seeking a warm place to spend the night. They are about to enter a small Soviet village.

- German Orders -

A platoon of Pz Kpfw III tanks and three Panzer Grenadier platoons are to secure the village. Time is of essence as more Soviets are expected after turn 25.

- Soviet Orders -

Two companies of infantry supported by a mixed company of T-70 and T-34/76 tanks are to take and defend the village.

- Historical Outcome -

The Germans surprised and routed the Soviets who were just about to occupy the village.

Attachments
PCOAAR11.jpg
PCOAAR11.jpg (302.19 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

RE: AAR: Return Road to Kharkov

Post by Erik Rutins »

I'm playing the German side. My forces consist of a platoon of 5x Panzer IIILs and three Halftrack-mounted platoons of PanzerGrenadiers, plus a MG42 team with a Halftrack. All of my units are Veterans, except for the MG42, which is Elite.

This is a pretty good overview of the map. I start with two Panzergrenadier platoons on the map, the rest will enter as reinforcements.

I've circled the objective village in red. The objective is worth 40 points, about the same as one of my platoons, so this is certainly not something I need to take "at all costs".

There are three obvious approach routes.

The first is on the left, where a stream is surrounded by muddy, snowy ground. Not the best place for movement, but a fairly covered approach to the village thanks to the woods in the center.

The second is the central route - a nice road but completely surrounded by woods until it runs right into the village. Certainly the most direct and fastest route, but also the one with the least visibility and most restricted terrain.

The third is through the field on the right. It's hard to see, but the closer part of that field is a bit higher than the rest of it closer to the village, so there's a bit of an overlook/overwatch position there. The ground is also more dry on the right than on the left.

I'm going to request some input from the forum to make this AAR semi-interactive. Which approach route should I take, or should I go for a mix of them?

Attachments
PCOAAR12.jpg
PCOAAR12.jpg (743.55 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Return Road to Kharkov

Post by Erik Rutins »

Here's the terrain map. The light to dark brown stuff is mud. The light gray stuff is light snow, which has very little impact on movement. The white stuff is deeper snow which would slow us down more. I think the green is pretty obvious.

So, any votes on what my plan should be?

Attachments
PCOAAR13.jpg
PCOAAR13.jpg (636.47 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Here's a gridded version of the map, which may help show the contours. You can reference these as we move on to get the overall lay of the land.

Attachments
PCOAAR14.jpg
PCOAAR14.jpg (872.43 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
tide1527

Post by tide1527 »

I would say send a small combat group up the road just to see if they draw Russian fire and to try and get the Russians attention on the road and send the main battle group around to the right. The mudhole on the left I wouldn't even mess with.

Tide
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Before I read tide's response my impulse too was to send the PzGren down the road into the wood. AT there? When the tanks come they and other PzGren sweep a _little_ right to set up on the town and also get angled bead on stuff in woods that the PzGren scare up. If necessary use smoke to cover that right flank while woods are more thoroughly cleared.

Later -- and this is up in there air, contingent on what transpires -- get Pz to straight wood edge facing town (but still close enough to woods to support PGren). Attack town from road through woods and that wood fence line right.

But whats in that farm house down there to the right? ATG? Can't just smoke em forever.

Like I said that's all contingency. First explore woods/clear with PGren and some tank support.
test

spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Oh and F7 or F6 the message box. Driving me crazy.
test

spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Details...

That bubble ground to the right needs to be gone around with the tanks until good eyes get better view of whats lurking to the town and the right.

In other words tanks on hill do have good sighting BUT THAT WORKS BOTH WAYS.

Germans have arty?
test

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

How hard is it to bring up the terrain map?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: spellir74
Germans have arty?

Nope, no arty available.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
How hard is it to bring up the terrain map?

Just tap the Insert key to toggle it on and off.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ok, based on the initial suggestions, here are my plots for Turn 1. I decided to mount up my infantry and Rush with one platoon and Regroup with another in order to move quickly while I still have no contact with the enemy. Running the turn now...

Attachments
PCOAAR15.jpg
PCOAAR15.jpg (784.97 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

After the first 40 seconds, my platoons are almost at their destinations, still no enemy contact.

Attachments
PCOAAR16.jpg
PCOAAR16.jpg (635.52 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ok, the first turn is over and here are the unit positions.

The first of my reinforcements has arrived - the Panzer IIIL platoon. Any comments, suggestions or advice on what I should do next? If I don't hear otherwise, I'll keep pushing the Panzergrenadiers forward. Should I dismount them or keep them mounted at this point? Where do you think those Panzer IIILs should go? Seems like the advice so far is to send them to the right?

Regards,

- Erik

Attachments
PCOAAR1-7.jpg
PCOAAR1-7.jpg (725.56 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Peterk1

Post by Peterk1 »

Dismount. Infantry clear the woods...or see how far they can get. More weight on the right side of the road than the left...maybe 70/30. Try to find out how much of the road is safe.
AFVs set up on the tree line facing the open field and wait. 

madorosh

Post by madorosh »

I would send the AFVs on a wide flanking around to the right while the infantry goes through the woods straight on.

Which is probably why I always lose at CM:BB. ;)
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

ORIGINAL: Michael Dorosh

I would send the AFVs on a wide flanking around to the right while the infantry goes through the woods straight on.

Which is probably why I always lose at CM:BB. ;)

Eventually the Pz and one PzGr zug mounted need to flank just like that in order to be free from potential ATG potshots coming from over there (farms and right woods). The german player doesn't want to be splitting his fire just as he assaults the town. So that area needs to be investigated for sure. And from over there, he'll be able to take the un muddy ground to town (that north-south running road).

Don't complete that flanking until the _right side_ of the BigWood(center) is occupied/cleared almost up to the town, using the mounted PGr zugen.

Actually your plan of having all the inf hoof it straight through [favoring right side if forced] while sending all (or most) vehicles around might work too. That walk through the wood would be interesting.

So maybe send 2 zugen UN mounted through woods (favor right side of road)--with one zug SPW as extra firepower. Send the Pz with 1 zug PGrn mounted and one zug SPW around (using the extra SPW as scouts and extra firepower). What to do with the MG? With the Wood Task Group or Flank TG?

Note --for any plan-- eventually Sov tanks will make an appearance and the Germans should consider NOT squandering range advantage.
test

spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Regarding MG.

Reserve.

But eventually as Wood TG attacks town from woods and Flank TG-PzIII attacks from south, the MG-mounted comes up between them over bubble high ground and heads towards the north-south running treeline overlooking town. (I fear they will draw arty though. They should get deployed last; ie reserve.)

As town's defense collapses back, the MG can occupy some buildings nearest that tree line in support of whatever close combat is occurring then.
test

Thomm

Post by Thomm »

Great pity that CC did not have this feature!

But I have one question here: What do the bright red spots under the buildings represent? Do you have to paint tiles for the buildings (like in CC) or does PC understand the "concept" of a building by itself (like CM).

Best regards,
Thomm
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Thomm

Great pity that CC did not have this feature!

But I have one question here: What do the bright red spots under the buildings represent? Do you have to paint tiles for the buildings (like in CC) or does PC understand the "concept" of a building by itself (like CM).

Best regards,
Thomm

The map mker tool will paint the red color under the building for you when you've told it what kind of building it is.

Thanks
rick

Return to “After Action Reports”