Am I the only one driven crazy by this?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mike scholl 1

Am I the only one driven crazy by this?

Post by mike scholl 1 »

Air units that are supposed to be "withdrawn" by a certain date..., but never have the "withdraw" option available. If it says to "withdraw" them, then "withdrawing" them ought to be an option!

It is for most units with this requirement..., why not the rest? It's almost as if someone on the AE team just got tired and failed to finish the task. Can't someone please step in and do so? In a game this complicated we need all the simplicity and straightforwardness we can find..., and this isn't.
dr.diplodocus

RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this?

Post by dr.diplodocus »

your guys are either eager to stay in the fight or they want that extra combat pay.
Can't say I've seen it though. I've been spending much of my time with a guadalcanal PBEM and the few units that have needed withdrawing withdrew fine. But that was patches ago.. maybe it's a previous patch or something that is throwing a wrench in your plans.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

Air units that are supposed to be "withdrawn" by a certain date..., but never have the "withdraw" option available. If it says to "withdraw" them, then "withdrawing" them ought to be an option!

It is for most units with this requirement..., why not the rest? It's almost as if someone on the AE team just got tired and failed to finish the task. Can't someone please step in and do so? In a game this complicated we need all the simplicity and straightforwardness we can find..., and this isn't.

Isn't disbanding the unit the same thing as withdrawing, for game purposes?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
LST Express

Post by LST Express »

Yeah, I think disbanding will do the trick.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

I am not sure, but I think I read a post somewhere that said you are suposed to disband them.  IRL they went to Europe.  If you withdraw them, you keep the planes and pilots and if you disband them you loose both {effectively they are transferred to be used in Europe}.
ckammp

Post by ckammp »

There's no reason to unfairly criticize the devs; they did "finish the task".

For an explaination of why some air groups that are scheduled for withdraw have the "Withdraw" option greyed-out, please see section 7.2.2 (page 169) of the manual.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Either the withdraw or disband button should be available.

The 'Withdraw by' can have more than one meaning. The withdrawal is either permanent or temporary, which would relate to one or the other of the buttons.
Originally, the 'Withdraw by' text said 'Withdraw by' or 'Disband by', but the testers decided that this was too confusing. The disband meant that the pilot/planes went back to the pool (temp) and the withdraw meant they were not (permanent).

Simple solution was to go with one text and whichever buttons were appropriate.
Michael
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

The 'Withdraw by' can have more than one meaning. The withdrawal is either permanent or temporary, which would relate to one or the other of the buttons.
Originally, the 'Withdraw by' text said 'Withdraw by' or 'Disband by', but the testers decided that this was too confusing. The disband meant that the pilot/planes went back to the pool (temp) and the withdraw meant they were not (permanent).

That's the first clear explanation of it I've seen. Thanks Michael. But I was one of those testers, and I certainly never felt that "Disband by" was too confusing. And I can't see how being told to "disband" a unit, and having a "disband" button available, would be more confusing to a new player than what we have now. Whatever..., thanks for replying.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

ORIGINAL: michaelm

That's the first clear explanation of it I've seen. Thanks Michael. But I was one of those testers, and I certainly never felt that "Disband by" was too confusing. And I can't see how being told to "disband" a unit, and having a "disband" button available, would be more confusing to a new player than what we have now. Whatever..., thanks for replying.

I think it came down to a majority and then a lead decision. Such a longggg time ago ....

Michael
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I too was having this problem, and when "disbanding", got that message that I was losing the planes and the pilots..
I had not considered they were being transferred to Europe..
Makes sense..

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Is it then safe to assume that when I disband a Japanese formation the pilots and planes go back into the pool? After all, there is no other theatre for them to go to. I never really paid any attention to it before.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Any Squadrons that are due for withdrawal "Temporarily" have a magenta coloured return date I noticed. That gives you a clue as to whether it's withdraw or disband.
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

Great explanation, I had always wondered about that. TY Michael
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”