Some questions about PC: Kharkov

The highly anticipated second release in the Panzer Command series, featuring an updated engine and many major feature improvements. 3D Tactical turn-based WWII combat on the Eastern Front, with historical scenarios and campaigns as well as support for random generated battles and campaigns from 1941-1944.
Knavery

Some questions about PC: Kharkov

Post by Knavery »

Hey folks --
I'd researched this game a few months back, but decided on another Matrix title. I'm once again looking at it more in depth and have a few questions that have probably been asked. Given there's a patch coming out, I thought it'd be good to have a consolidated list of answers to the common questions people have. I'm hoping you guys can help. So, here goes...

1.) If I'm looking for a game very similar to the Combat Mission series, will this fit the bill?
2.) Is the game turn-based as in Combat Mission. If not, how does the game differ?
3.) Are there historical battles, operations, campaigns or are they all randomly generated?
4.) Can you control armor AND infantry?
5.) Are there any game-breaking bugs that currently exist or change the balance of the game? If so, what are they?
6.) Will the game run in Windows 7?
7.) Will the game run in wide screen resolutions such as 1680x1050?

I know there's a few questions there, but I'm hoping someone can answer them, which would help me, and others, to decide whether the game is for us or not. Thanks!
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
rickier65

RE: Some questions about PC: Kharkov

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Knavery

Hey folks --
I'd researched this game a few months back, but decided on another Matrix title. I'm once again looking at it more in depth and have a few questions that have probably been asked. Given there's a patch coming out, I thought it'd be good to have a consolidated list of answers to the common questions people have. I'm hoping you guys can help. So, here goes...

I'll take a shot at answering, though you may well get some others that will chime in.
ORIGINAL: Knavery
1.) If I'm looking for a game very similar to the Combat Mission series, will this fit the bill?

From my perspective it will. while there are some a number of differences, but CM is probably what PCK gets compared to the most.
2.) Is the game turn-based as in Combat Mission. If not, how does the game differ?

It is turn-based, One complete turn is 80sec. though there is a reaction turn at the 40 sec interval, where you are able to adjust your orders within limits.
3.) Are there historical battles, operations, campaigns or are they all randomly generated?

Yes, in fact most of the battles and I think all of the campaigns that come with the game are historical battles and campaigns. But you can also generate both random battles AND random campaigns.
4.) Can you control armor AND infantry?

yes, though the focus in these first two games has been armor. the infnatry element is there. the typical Infantry unit is a squad, though there are snipers and Anti0tank rifle teams as well. Some of the battles that come (or will come with the patch) are primarily infantry with just samll armor support.
5.) Are there any game-breaking bugs that currently exist or change the balance of the game? If so, what are they?

You'll get a lot of different answers to this one. I actually didn't feel that there were any 'game breaking' bugs even at version 1.01 (which is the current release). and it's a LOT better with the patch (some bugs I didn't even know were there are fixed now).
6.) Will the game run in Windows 7?

Yes. Even the current realease, v1.01 will run in Win 7 if you load one of the fixes that was posted in the forum here. But with the patch, it runs even better in Win 7.
7.) Will the game run in wide screen resolutions such as 1680x1050?

well, I run it in 1366x768 widescreen. I did not see 1680x1050 listed as a supported resolution.

Most of my play lately has been with the patch (beta test team), but I think most of my answers actually apply to even the latest official release as well. (not sure about the resolutions available - it had a widescreen mode but not sure what it was). Hopefully there will be more information out on this patch in the very near future.

Thanks
rick
NefariousKoel

RE: Some questions about PC: Kharkov

Post by NefariousKoel »

And.. yes.. it runs at 1680x1050 resolution as it does with other regular widescreen resolutions. 

The reason he didn't see it was because his monitor didn't support it.

Return to “Panzer Command: Kharkov”