Tutorial - 1 Bn 318 - no transport

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

TMO

Tutorial - 1 Bn 318 - no transport

Post by TMO »

According to TO&E 7-15 (Feb 1944):

http://www.militaryresearch.org/7-15%2026Feb44.pdf

a 1944 US infantry Bn should have 34 (35 if you include attached medical units) jeeps, two (or maybe three) 3/4t trucks and perhaps (though these might reasonably be added to Bgde base) four 1.5t trucks.

TO&E 7-18 (Feb 1944) specifies that the Hvy Wpns Coy (.30 cal and 81mm mortar pls) should have (not in addition but included in above) 19 jeeps and one 3/4 t truck.

http://www.militaryresearch.org/7-18%2026Feb44.pdf

The A/T pl according to TO&E 7-19 (Feb 1944) should also have three 1.5t truck and one 3/4t truck.

http://www.militaryresearch.org/7-19%2026Feb44.pdf

This looks like an oversight in an otherwise excellent game.

Regards

Tim
simovitch

RE: Tutorial - 1 Bn 318 - no transport

Post by simovitch »

It's not an oversight. In the game there is no HW company in the US infantry battalions - the MG's have been parsed out to the line companies and we removed the organic transport of the mortars and rifle coys to allow the Battalion as a whole to move into/through woods, and to keep it from becoming immobilized due to running out of fuel.

The AT companies/platoons were a compromise of removing the vehicles to allow entry to the woods and still giving them some mobility by giving them some movement capability.

If you try to match up what we have in the game with official TO&E's you will run into these type of discrepancies throughout the estabs because we had to make some concessions/adjustments for playability purposes.
simovitch

TMO

Post by TMO »

Thanks for the clarification here Richard - I admire your attention to detail.

Regards

Tim
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

Richard it seems that many of those 'missing' vehicles make their way to the base units if I'm recalling a previous thread correctly where this came up. IMO, that's probably the most realistic place for them anyhow- that way they would be used to run supplies, which is pretty much what those vehicles did in real life I'd think. Sitting with the company, where there's not enough to transport the entire company, they're only targets with no useful purpose.

Post by TMO »

In the tutorial B Bty 489 AAA AW Bn should have (according to the Estab editor) 200 rnds 37mm ammo. In the scenario its Std Load is listed as zero rnds.

Regards

Tim
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: TMO

In the tutorial B Bty 489 AAA AW Bn should have (according to the Estab editor) 200 rnds 37mm ammo. In the scenario its Std Load is listed as zero rnds.

Regards

Tim
OK I see what is happening here (for the most part.)
First, there is something odd going on in the Scenario Editor that changes the ammo % and thus the number of rounds by 1% on the unit display every time you toggle back and forth between "supply" and anything else (like "strength" or Commander" This is a minor bug and may explain the disparity in the ammo counts that you are seeing between game play and the Scenario Editor.

Second, in the estab editor, for any weapon, a particular ammo type (i.e. 37mm AA HE) can show a load of "0" for, say anti personnel role (aper) as long as there is another role (i.e. aair) using the same type of ammo that does have a load (like 200). In effect, the game doesn't care whether you are using the 37mm AA HE ammo for aper or aair, you still get only 200 rounds.

We could have given aper 200 rounds but i wasn't necessary since it was already seeded by the aair load of 200.
simovitch

TMO

Post by TMO »

Thanks Richard, but if you look at the performance tab for this weapon it only has info for Aper - Aair is not mentioned.

Regards

Tim
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

OK I see. We list the load values direct from the estab to the display. This has no effect on gameplay except to confuse the player.[:D]

This should be an easy fix.
simovitch

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”