Air Transport load calculation

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Moss Orleni

Air Transport load calculation

Post by Moss Orleni »

Hi all,

I tried to figure this one out for a long time, but still didn't manage to find the formula:

How can you determine how many devices(including squads) or supplies can be loaded on an aircraft? So, what is the relationship between aircraft load (fi B-17E Max.load 6,800) and the loading cost for devices/squads and supplies? I mention squads separately, because the manual states there's a cutoff point of 9 for the device load cost to fit into an aircraft, but that doesn't seem to be the case for squad type devices...

So, has anyone figured out how to (roughly) calculate the total air capacity needs for a specific supply/troop transport mission?

Thanks & regards,

Moss
TulliusDetritus

RE: Air Transport load calculation

Post by TulliusDetritus »

For supplies.

2.000 (load capacity) = 1 supply.

So a big Dakota, load capacity = 10.000 / 2.000 = 5 supplies are delivered.

If the squadron has 16 planes and all of them manage to fly => 16 x 5 = 80 supplies are delivered by that squadron.

Et voilà [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Moss Orleni

Post by Moss Orleni »

Thanks for the info Tullius!

Complete silence on the squad/device load costs though...

I know the best way is run multiple tests on these things, and that's what I usually do. But the many different load costs/device types complicate matters, and results are not really consistent so far.

So, any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Moss
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Moss, I haven't said anything about the Troop Transport thing because I mostly ignore it [:)] I mean, it's all about devices, so I gave up. I know big canons, motorised support (aka trucks), etc. will not be transported so I will use overland movement or a naval transport (for these big devices. What can be transported by planes will go by air). In othe words, I use an "intuitive" approach.

Anyway, the formula is in the manual [:)]

"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Air transport is handled fairly simplistically compared to ship transport.
-----------
Moving troops from base to base:
a) Can't move a non-squad or non-engineer device with a load cost >9

Air dropping troops:
a) Can't air drop a non-squad device with a load cost >7 or if none are ready

Common for ready devices:
b) Aviation support - 2 devices moved plus 2 more if a/c max load is 7500 or more
c) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

Common for disabled devices:
d) Aviation support - 2 devices moved
e) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

----------------
Moving supply:
Supply amount is a/c max load divided by 2000 with a minimum of 1. This is removed from the source and added to the destination unless air-dropped where a random value is added to the destination.
Michael
Moss Orleni

Post by Moss Orleni »

Thanks Michael, that really is new information!

Cheers,

Moss
jimh009

Post by jimh009 »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

For supplies.

2.000 (load capacity) = 1 supply.

So a big Dakota, load capacity = 10.000 / 2.000 = 5 supplies are delivered.

If the squadron has 16 planes and all of them manage to fly => 16 x 5 = 80 supplies are delivered by that squadron.

Et voilà [8D]

Well, now I know why the transports the Allies have delivering supply to China from India seem to be accomplishing nothing!
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: jimh009
Well, now I know why the transports the Allies have delivering supply to China from India seem to be accomplishing nothing!

Especially since extended range missions are halved. So that 5 supplies per plane becomes only 2 supplies at extended ranges.

Then when you factor in things like the reduced load capacities of the transport planes in AE, spoilage over the bad road net and under strength missions due to fatigue and op losses, and the allied air transport effort in AE is pitiful. Maybe a few hundred a day is the best you can ever hope to achieve if you commit to a maximum effort.

Jim

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”