1.0.4.4 I like the new economy

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

taltamir

1.0.4.4 I like the new economy

Post by taltamir »

I like the new economy. It works well...
While ideas like corruption sound scary and as if they will cripple larger empires, they don't. A larger empire is still richer, there seem to be the right amount of diminishing returns; not too much, and not too little.

And you can still become filthy rich at the end.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
EisenHammer

RE: 1.0.4.4 I like the new economy

Post by EisenHammer »

I'm finding the economy as being a little to easy right now. 
jscott991

Post by jscott991 »

ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

This convinces me that a difficulty slider is the only choice they are going to have.

I'm just not sure what people found fun about the incredibly tight early game economy in b1 and b2.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: jscott991

This convinces me that a difficulty slider is the only choice they are going to have.

I'm just not sure what people found fun about the incredibly tight early game economy in b1 and b2.

Yeah, a slider setting is probably the only thing that is going to satisfy everyone.

Too me, the Economy is a bit tighter than I really like, but it's doable.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I think construction times have been increased in this build (vs. 1.03) as well. It really seems to be taking quite a bit of time to get things built.

Research on the low setting is really a crawl. This is okay I guess, but the real problem with Research is that the Tech Tree is just too shallow.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

TheSAguy

Post by TheSAguy »

And there is nothing wrong with a Difficulty Slider.
Everyone has their own playing preference.... and getting one setting to suite everyone is not realistic...

ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

So it is still a bloated economy? I temporarily shelved the game after playing 1.3 because of this reason.It was like playing EU3 with a money cheat.It killed the gameplay.
Munchies

Post by Munchies »

lol if you used a money cheat in EU3, then you killed the gameplay not the cheat ;)

a difficulty slider would be best I agree.

But as far as going the speed of light (so to speak) right out of the gate is a little ridiculous. It takes time to start up a civilization. You shouldn't be able to afford 20 colonies and fleets and all the bells and whistles right from the start.
It is like you start your ball rolling down hill at full speed. You need that little push to get it going first.

If you start with 50k credits and spend it all on colony ships without thinking of improving your already set-up economy, then that is your fault. Yeah, you should be in the red until you can generate enough credits to start building more stations and etc so you can trade more and tax more for income.

I agree though, it needs tweaking. Either the AI needs to speed things up and prioritize colonizing, or things need to slow down at the start.

Bah, it is difficult to get my point across.. I am too old and my brain don't work like it used too lol
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Yes, it seems 1.0.4.4 is a touch too easy but it is way better than the difficulty of 1.0.4.1 and 1.0.4.2.

Difficulty slider would be cool - especially if it could be shifted in the options rather than just in the pre-game setup.
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

well DW's story is that your just the descendant's of a great civilizaiton so you still have Jumpspace tech just not a galactic community. a clean slate so to speak
DarkWraith

Post by DarkWraith »

Thank god! I was beginning to feel so alone.

An economic difficulty slider would be great, but it really should be two sliders so that we can let the enemy empires have the ridiculously easy economies while we give ourselves something more difficult.
Interesting

Post by Interesting »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

So it is still a bloated economy? I temporarily shelved the game after playing 1.3 because of this reason.It was like playing EU3 with a money cheat.It killed the gameplay.

Same thing here.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

It's much less bloated than 1.0.3, in my experience. 1.0.3 was a lot more bloated than anything we had seen before in DW, to be honest. The post-release economic issues and the balance issues that resulted from fixing them were not exactly part of our original plan. I think 1.0.4, by the time it becomes official, will have this sorted out. A slider for economic difficulty is I think the best long-terms solution as well, but 1.0.4 should give us a good default balance.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Hey Erik, looking good, was able (had to) run 1.04 on my Vista laptop, ended up getting a couple of freezes during the game, other then that, game looking very good, I was able to keep things going with my Ecc
JosEPhII

Post by JosEPhII »

I still don't understand this rationale that if I have a peacetime economy that I have to run in the RED to feel challenged!?? Maybe so on the Highest Difficulty levels but definitely NOT on normal and below.

I still can't build everything I want or even need on Normal settings without watching my bottomline. And this is how it should be!

When I go to War I DO NOT want to be hamstrung because I don't have the capital to build a Modern fleet and/or Defense Bases. But several of you seem to think this is How The Game Should Be. More Normal players will be discouraged By Not having a decent economy than the few of You Uber players who make good money on the highest levels.

Sorry if this is abrupt and abrasive to some of you but Gee Whiz back off a bit! Let the rest of us have a chance to form an opinion and not be railroaded into making the economy Too Hard Again! [:@]

JosEPh [:-]
"old and slow.....Watch out!"
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Josepeh I agree with you I like the changes I don't want to go back to the hard economy.... The game is more enjoyable now. So there is some of us who don't want the Harvard econ. I don't want very easy but I would rather have it closer to easy than the way it was before 104.4
ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

I still don't understand this rationale that if I have a peacetime economy that I have to run in the RED to feel challenged!?? Maybe so on the Highest Difficulty levels but definitely NOT on normal and below.

I still can't build everything I want or even need on Normal settings without watching my bottomline. And this is how it should be!

When I go to War I DO NOT want to be hamstrung because I don't have the capital to build a Modern fleet and/or Defense Bases. But several of you seem to think this is How The Game Should Be. More Normal players will be discouraged By Not having a decent economy than the few of You Uber players who make good money on the highest levels.

Sorry if this is abrupt and abrasive to some of you but Gee Whiz back off a bit! Let the rest of us have a chance to form an opinion and not be railroaded into making the economy Too Hard Again! [:@]

JosEPh [:-]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
jscott991

Post by jscott991 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It's much less bloated than 1.0.3, in my experience. 1.0.3 was a lot more bloated than anything we had seen before in DW, to be honest. The post-release economic issues and the balance issues that resulted from fixing them were not exactly part of our original plan. I think 1.0.4, by the time it becomes official, will have this sorted out. A slider for economic difficulty is I think the best long-terms solution as well, but 1.0.4 should give us a good default balance.

Don't shift the economy back towards b1 or b2, please.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Goodaye,

Personally I find the economy too easy but Eric and Elliot have to find a happy medium for everybody.

A difficulty slider is the way to go and I think that this might have to be implemented sooner rather than later 'cause once people get a bit of experience with the game they'll be looking for more of a challenge otherwise the game gets shelved 'cause they're bored.

For those like myself who find it too easy, particularly in the early game, I've found a work around.

When you start a new game, immediately fire up the editor and remove every second or third resource in your home system. Try and create a situation where you have none of a handful of strategic resources. Remove ALL luxury resources.

This really puts you under the gun. You start with a stockpile of resources enough to keep going for a short while but it's not enough to keep you going forever. Makes for a very tense, tough early game where you are having to think long and hard over what you do.

I find this machoistic approach more fun than having a boring, cruise through to the middle game experience. But that's just me.

Cheers,
Lancer
alexalexuk

Post by alexalexuk »

im finding no problem spamming out around 15 exploration ships, then around 10 colony ships a the start of the game, i then wait for the first colony to start producing taxes on % (might be eariler if i colonized a indi world) - then i continue to spam colony ships.

nothings stopping me, income always in the black, the economy is a little easy right now, and requires little thought.

HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

I don't know if it's the new beta patch or the what I did what somebody said before. When ever I make a new colony about 10 minutes later I would raise the taxes before. Now I leave all taxes at 0 on new colonies so they can build the population faster, and I am seeing that I can getting more money now. Once the colony is at MAX, then I increase the taxes for that colony since it can't grow anymore. Then again, I don't have many military ships eithers so not shure what is exactly working.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

ORIGINAL: alexalexuk

nothings stopping me, income always in the black, the economy is a little easy right now, and requires little thought.
Income SHOULD always be in the black. Any time you find yourself in negative income, you are DOOMED. The ability to actually increase your income by any immediate action in DW is basically nonexistent: Anything you do that will increase your income will not actually have an effect for a very long time. If you go into red income, and your cash reserves run out, the game is over: Without income, you can't build anything to fix this in the future, so the situation will just continue to go downhill and you will continue to be unable to do anything. Black income isn't just a luxury item, it's MANDATORY: Red income = DEATH.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”