The Reluctant Admiral--Imperial Perspective

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

The Reluctant Admiral--Imperial Perspective

Post by John 3rd »

After much time and effort, Michael and I are about to launch into our just finished Mod--Scenario 070--The Reluctant Admiral. This is the short description of the Scenario to be placed where you choose it in the AE Menu:

The Reluctant Admiral is a Japanese 'what if' scenario based upon a greater contribution by Adm. Yamamoto Isoroku. The premise of the Mod is that Yamamoto exerted a much greater influence first on the Japan Naval Aircraft Industry, then as Deputy Navy Minister, and finally as Navy Minister itself. Yamamoto chooses, at great risk to his life, to forego command of the Combined Fleet and dedicate himself to preparing Japan for a war he didn't want.

In choosing to do this Yamamoto changes the 4th Circle Building plan replacing the 3rd and 4th Yamato-Class Battleships with improved Shokaku-Class CVs and a pair of fast Battlecruisers. Other warships are added as planned within 4th Circle. The Japan Naval Air Arm is changed so that everything is staked to the Zero Airframe with a specialization of the Zero into a Land-Based Interceptor as well as CV-Based Fighters. Additional engineers and engineering vehicles are added to Naval Units better reflecting Yamamoto's foresight into base building and expansion needs. New and expanded Naval Yards, Heavy Industry, and Armaments are added at tremendous cost for the Japanese economy.

Very little is changed in the opening of the Scenario (based on Scenario 1) except for a few more aircraft and 3 warships. The foresight of the Admiral will payoff during 1942 and early-1943 as new ships and aircraft enter into the Japanese Order-of-Battle.

How well can YOU do to use these new tools OR how well can you stop the Japanese Navy in its tracks as the Allies.

(Designer's note: Production is 'on' for this scenario)

Scenario Designers: Stanislav Bartoshevitch (FatR), Michael Benoit (NY59Giants), John R. Cochran, III (John 3rd), Juan Gomez (JuanG), Ben Kloosterman (BK), and John Young (Red Lancer)

For those who haven't followed the Design of the Mod, let me mention the work done by everyone to get it ready to go:
FatR--Chief of Aeronautics focused mainly on the new and modified Aircraft. He also helped in finding a number of bugs within the 'test' versions of the Mod.

Michael--Provided an Allied perspective and made sure there was a little 'something' in this for the Allies. He also served as an excellent sounding board.

JuanG--Held my hand in the design process and truly was a major help for ideas, comments, and proposals. Many of them made their way into the Mod. Should mention some of his ship art is in this for the Kawachi-Class BCs and few other vessels.

BK--Massively helped in the air development and deisgn area with FatR. He must have 150-200 Posts in the two Design Threads. Invaluable help and suggestions flowed through him.

Red Lancer--Provided VERY NICE new aircraft art for at least a dozen or so planes. They are PERDY!

Damian--Perhaps he should be mentioned too for his checking of the revamped Japanese economy by use of Tracker. Very helpful.

This Mod started back over in WitP when Alikchi (he deserves a big thank you as well) and I got into a heavy discussion of the 4th Circle Plan. From that discussion I did a bunch of reading on Admiral Yamamoto and was struck by the foresight he had in seeing many issues facing Japan. Many of us know this in the general history but few have actually read what he said and/or wanted to do. This scenario reflects many of his wishes as shown in 2-3 of his biographies and Kaigun.

It has been fun designing this creation. I am NOT a Computer person! My wife Paula and friend Michael (my aide and opponent) will testify to that. The creators of AE deserve magnificent credit for the Editor they have brought to life. It is intuitive and easy-to-use (relatively). Even with this said the Mod could not have been created without those mentioned above and the dozens who contributed their thoughts to the scenario.

In separate Postings I will add the House Rules and FatR's comments regarding aircraft changes.

Hope you enjoy the magnificent glories of the Imperial Fleet that are shortly to come...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Air Modifications

Post by John 3rd »

This is FatR's Commentary:

This scenario assumes, that with Yamamoto assuming the position of the Aeronautics Department's head in 1936 and becoming the Naval Minister later, he intensifies Japanese naval aviation development a bit, and attempts to optimize the utilization of limited engineering and production resourses. Chief engineers of aircraft design teams are given slightly greater input in formulating development directions and cooperation between various aircraft manufacturers is assumed to be somewhat improved.

In particular, the concept of dedicated land-based interceptor is abandoned and the Mitshubishi fighter design team under Jiro Horikoshi remains free to concentrate all of its efforts on modifying A6M and creating its successor A7M. Horikoshi's proposal to install the more powerful Mitsubishi Kinsei engine on Zero is approved in 1942, instead of late 1944, and A7M is developed to use Mitsubishi Ha-43 engine, as he desired, from the beginning. A6M3 is developed into a whole line of Zeros that sacrifice range in favor of superior armament and pilot protection, and eventually are officially designated as pure land-based models. IJN maintains the policy of sticking to just one single-engine fighter airframe, until Kawanishi team develops N1K1-J Shiden as a private initiative (this happens slighltly earlier than in RL, because alternate projects of land-based interceptors, that tied Kawanishi resourses, do not exist). It is adopted as a stopgap measure until availability of A7M.

As a side effect of greater effort put into development and production of Mitsubishi Kinsei (Ha-33) and Mitsubishi Ha-43 engines, several planes that historically used these engines are added to the mod (if they existed only as prototypes by the war's end), or accelerated.

Aircraft weapon development is streamlined, with a push for unification with IJAAF in this area (historically, IJN and IJA did cooperate in aircraft weapon production, in this scenario their cooperation becomes much broader). Instead of attempts to produce licensed German machine guns, that ultimately failed to provide the fleet with sufficient numbers of them, IJN switches to the more powerful Army 7.7 catridge and eventually adopts 12.7 Ho-103, the first aircraft HMG developed in Japan. This allows for improved armament on some planes, mostly 2E bombers.

This scenario also assumes mild overall boost to Japanese aircraft industry (at the cost of reduction in starting resources). As a result, several planes that historically faced severe problems with transition from prototypes to mass production, such as B6N, D4Y and G4M2, become available a bit earlier. G8N1, the Japanese 4E bomber that was successfuly tested but not mass-produced in real life, becomes available in 1945.

In addition, there are many minor tweaks to various aircraft, intended to make their statblocks and performance closer to historical. The changes that can affect gameplay most noticeably include:
-Early Japanese fighters (Ha-35 Zeros and Ki-43) have their high-altitude MVR reduced.
-G4M has slightly better durability, G3M sligtly worse, to give G4M an edge over the older plane it historically had.
-E16A1 Paul no longer has artificially reduced normal range.
-Ki-44 uses Nakakima Ha-34 engine, instead of Ha-35, for historical accuracy.
-Late Ki-61 versions are slightly improved. Ki-100s are significantly improved. In RL they were supposed to be good, particularly Ki-100, but in AE they are very underwhelming.
-Ki-67-Ib does not lose the ability to carry torpedos.
-Old Russian fighters no longer have unparalelled MVR. Their clear superiority to Nate has to go.

Following aircraft were added to this scenario (all but new Zeros and G3M4-Q existed in RL as prototypes or even production models):

-A6M3b Zero. Replaces A6M3a and emphasized armor and weapons instead of range.
-A6M4, A6M4-J, A6M8-J. Successors to A6M3b that follow the same design philosopshy but use Mitshubishi Ha-33 engine.
-A7M3. The historical successor to A7M2. Carrier-capable and features 6x20mm armament. A7M2 factory upgrades to it, instead of A7M3-J.
-B7A3. The historical armored successor to B7M2. Uses Mitsubishi Ha-43 engine.
-D4Y5. Mitshubishi Ha-43, armor. D4Y3 upgrades to it. (D4Y4 was a kamikaze plane in RL.)
-G3M4-Q. ASW patrol version of Nell.
-G8N1. Fast, tough, long-ranged 4E bomber.
-J6M1. IJN version of Ki-83.
-N1K4-A. Carrier-capable Shiden.
-N1K5-J. High-altitude interceptor Shiden. Uses Mitsubishi Ha-43 engine.
-Yasukuni. IJN version of Ki-67. "Yasukuni" might actually be the name of the naval unit, that employed these bombers in RL, but I can't find any other designation for them.

John 3rd

Proposed House Rules

Post by John 3rd »

Here is the current state of our HR:

1. 1st turn can have multiple port attacks, but ONLY from carriers. Manila and Singapore may have Fighters up and on CAP. Cannot transfer new Squadrons reflecting prior knowledge.

2. PPs to move out of national borders (Japan - Manchuria, Thai) and (Allies - India, China)

3. No strategic bombing (Oil, Resources, HI, LI, etc.) until July 1943

4. Manila subs can form TF based on a date/time stamp (use the last digit in a pre-determined e-mail). Since this may be the second port attack, the last digit in the time (hh:mm:ss) is used to determine how many subs can form TF

5. Non-historic 1st turn, normal reinforcements, PDUs ON, orders for TF formed already

7. Offensive operations in jungle and mountain hexes on the Burmese front should be stopped from early-July to early-November, allowing R&R and unit rotations, and give both players on the front a much less bloody (and much more interesting) experience. This would mean:

- No deliberate or shock attack in the jungle hexs in the designated area
- Bombardment attacks are still allowed
- Movement into friendly or empty hexes are still allowed
- No offensive air ops from or against the Burmese front hex (recon still allowed)
- No offensive carrier operations in the Gulf of Bengal against Burma (other naval ops, including bombardment, are still allowed). Striking either Bengal, Northern India or Malaya from carriers in the Gulf is still allowed, of course.

Hexes would be corresponding to everything above the "Thailand" label within Burmese and Thailandese borders + the few jungle hexes going 3 or 4 hexes into "India" (Kohima, Ledo, Imphal area)

8. Night Bombing must have 50% Moonlight through the end of 1943. Starting January 1, 1944 Night Bombing may occur in any condition.

9. Aircraft Limitations:
-No A6M3 on CVEs
-No A6M4 on any form of Carrier

c. Combat altitude could be fighters only from:
Dec 1941- May 1942 20,000
June 1942-Dec 1942 25,000
1943 28,000
1944 31,000
1945 Whatever

All other Aircraft below 20k (except Recon and 4EB)

10. Four-Engine Bombers:
a. 4e bombers restricted to 10k or higher for naval attacks (does not include PBY/Mavis type patrol craft)

b. 4e bombers CANNOT bomb troops

11. China remains static until two of the following three targets are taken by the Japanese: Manila, Singapore, and Bataan.

Canoerebel

RE: Air Modifications

Post by Canoerebel »

Wow, John, an enticing introduction to what seems like a well-researched mod.  I hope it will give you and many others hours of pleasure.

P.S.  Don't forget to include Admiral King's Fifth Rhombus Plan when he used Australian aborignees to foresee exactly what Yamamoto was up to.  As a result, the Allies developed (1) the B-29 in 1940 and the B-187 (six-engine jet bomber with a range of 42,000 miles and a 600 ton bomb payload capacity) and (2) twenty-six Crawfish Class carriers with a capicty of 215 Hellcats, 100 Helldivers, and 349 TBM.    
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Wow, John, an enticing introduction to what seems like a well-researched mod.  I hope it will give you and many others hours of pleasure.

P.S.  Don't forget to include Admiral King's Fifth Rhombus Plan when he used Australian aborignees to foresee exactly what Yamamoto was up to.  As a result, the Allies developed (1) the B-29 in 1940 and the B-187 (six-engine jet bomber with a range of 42,000 miles and a 600 ton bomb payload capacity) and (2) twenty-six Crawfish Class carriers with a capicty of 215 Hellcats, 100 Helldivers, and 349 TBM.    

What , destroy the JFB impossible dream!

Of course all of their "quantam leap" in ability happened without any change by the Allies.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Actually Jeff they knew a great deal about the possible 4th Circle Planning. Many thought there was a 3rd Sho-Class CV and they planned and built the Alaska's to counter the Kawachi's. In no way, shape, or form is this an extreme Mod. That is part of the reason I based it on Scenario 1. This is NOT a JFB Mod in any form of extreme. There are new fighters based on the Zero but NO JACKS which is superior to many of the planes we introduce. The trade-off is some of the earlier models come in early and the later-models have a somewhat more rugged build for less range and speed.

As to ships, the useless Shinano is not planned and the excellent Taiho and her two possible sisters are cancelled. The Japanese gain about 24 new possible DDs in the form of Yugumo-Class and Akizuki-Class. These were all planned but not completed within 4th Circle. Yamamoto does get the Shipyards to specialize some allowing for the production times of DDs to shrink by an average of 3-5 months. Kaigun spends some considerable time on that topic. Two additional Tone-Class CAs are ordered as planned (did make them Tone Clones instead of a new class). The Agano's don't have the design argument that paralized them from nearly 24 months and the additional slipways allow for them to be built in roughly pairs. Oyodo and Niyodo come in as the 5th and 6th Agano's as they should have.

The Scenario is not fantasy like some of Juan's or others. While a heck of a lot of fun (witness Michael and I's Shipwreck AAR) those are pretty darned extreme. I hoped for and think we have delivered a plausible scenario that adds some things but also doesn't upset the end-game whatsoever. For every expansion and/or addition caused Supply and Fuel to be deducted from Japan's starting stockpile. The Empire comes in slightly better prepared but with a more pressing need to grab oil and resources INTACT ASAP.

Another important note is that these changes are split about 90% for the IJN and 10% for the IJA. The Army's OOB doesn't hardly change whatsoever.

Lastly, the Allied players does get a few little tidbits thrown into their lap such as more recon assets and additional ground/air units in the SE Pacific.

I really hope the other designers and contributors jump in with their perspective. It will be a fun ride.

Thanks Dan for your thoughts. Should note that I have those aborigines targeted and am prepping troops as we speak.

JuanG

Post by JuanG »

I really have to chip in to agree with John here - compared to what most of my scenario's do (changing history entirely from 1922 onwards), the changes here are more mild and plausible than those in mine, and I think, more plausible than even those in the official Scenario 2.

Regardless, more scenarios is always good, no matter what the flavour - they simply offer players more variety in what they want to play, as this is afterall, a game.

Maybe I'll get around to doing a 'Final Countdown' or 'Zipang' style variant at some point for kicks...
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Thanks Juan. Wasn't sure if mentioning yours was OK or not. They are extreme and FUN! BANZAI!!

Starting to work on Turn One.

Have been thinking a lot about planning for operations and will expound on that later tonight or tomorrow.

Michael is welcome to jump in at this point until I close it.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I hope my post came across as intended - a fun way of harrassing my former (and surely my future) opponent John III.  It was NOT an effort at veiled criticism of the mod or that the Allies should be given stuff.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

No issue with your Posting whatsoever my Former Opponent! [&o]

I happen to truly like what we have designed and created. There is great potential here for a good time with an OOB that is about 80-85% the same as Scenario 1 Stock. I want it to be a BLAST!

Am hopeful that others will find it interesting enough to give a try. Haven't been able to completely polish it but if there are people interested in taking a look, please email me and I will send you the Zip file.

John 3rd

Other Modifications

Post by John 3rd »

Juan just placed this into the Mod Thread but I wanted to place it here as well:

Changes were made to the following areas; submarine torpedo tubes, ship ammo loadouts, naval gun accuracy and penetration, certain weapon classifications, and mine production.

The changes in each area are as follows;
Submarine Torpedo Tubes
By using the torpedo tube arrangements courtesy of JWE from the DB mod, submarines are able to take advantage of the changes to the submarine torpedo firing routines introduced in Patch 3. These allow a submarine to fire variable numbers of torpedo devices at a target, meaning that submarines will fire more torpedoes at high value targets, and less at DDs and other small vessels.

Ship Ammo Loadouts
Regular AE scenarios use roughly 10% of the RPG (Rounds Per Gun) value for naval guns to determine the ammo loadout, with adjustments made for DP weapons. This however, especially in light of the naval gun accuracy changes made in Patch 2, meant that large caliber weapons would commonly expend all their ammo during a single engagement, whereas this was almost unheard of in the war. The changes made involve a recalculation of the database ammo values based on both RPG and rate of fire, again adjusting for DP weapons. The net effect has been an increase in available ammo, though certain ships - mostly British and Japanese DDs, do suffer from this slightly. Light AA ammo has also been adjusted upwards in most cases.

Naval Gun Accuracy and Penetration
Some adjustments to the accuracy of certain guns has been made, the most notable being the increases made to the 10cm/65 and the 8cm/60 Japanese DP weapons, and the slight decrease to the early (Model A and B) 12.7cm/50 Japanese guns. Minor changes were also made to penetration values for naval guns 8in and greater.

Naval Gun Classifications
The IJN DDs have been assigned their correct Model of 12.7cm/50 mounts, rendering over half of them incapable of using their primary battery as a DP weapons. The USN 5in/54 Mk 16 mount has also been reclassified as a DP weapon, to reflect the high angle nature of this weapon.

Mine Production
The rate of production for all mines from all navies has been increased to twice that of regular AE.

Juan

As said, he has been a magificent help and good teacher.

John 3rd

Widescreen Monitor

Post by John 3rd »

Just bought a 22" toy (that sounds really bad) that is amazing. How do I shift AE over to handle the widescreen? Am sure it isn't automatic...

JuanG

RE: Widescreen Monitor

Post by JuanG »

What's the resolution of the screen itself? I would guess at 1920 x 1080 nowadays, but it might be something else.

The way to get AE to use this is to create a new shortcut to the game executable itself (War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe) as opposed to the game menu (autorun.exe), and then include certain commands in the shortcut depending on the resolution you want.

I'm in the process of downloading AE and doing this for myself, so once I get it working and we know your screen resolution I can post a suggested shortcut.

Edit;
Ok, I've got mine working - I've got two shortcuts, one windowed for testing and editing work, the other fullscreen for playing. The shortcuts are as follows;

"D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px1280 -py1024 -multiaudio -archive -altFont

This is the Windowed one at 1280x1024.

"D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -px1920 -py1080 -multiaudio -archive -altFont

This is the fullscreen at 1920x1080.

The section in bold is what you should append to your shortcut if your monitor is 1920x1080 - if the resolution is different, then just replace the number after -px and -py with the ones you want to use.

Good luck!
FatR

Post by FatR »

Good luck John! I'll be looking forward to watching your campaing (as long as you don't steal all of Michael's time[:)]). When you'll post the finished version of the mod, with art and all, I intend to seek an opponent for a game of it too.

As about the extent to which Japanese were boosted, overall improvement is probably on the level of Scenario 2. And only because Scenario 2 involves a hidden handicap in the form of much bigger HI tax for the pilot training program, otherwise Japan there would have been just more powerful. Unlike Scenario 2, Japan is not that much, if at all, stronger at the beginning (bonuses - 4 CVLs/CVEs in Mini-KB from the start; drawbacks - most of DDs don't have an AA rating to speak of anymore), and its resourse/fuel situation is worse than in Scenario 1. In the mid-game Japanese receive a number of significant benefits, including extra ships and better naval planes, but the economical situation is more difficult, because large changes to engine production is required to build these better planes (neither Ki-44, not late models of Zero use Nakajima Ha-35 anymore). In the late game Japanese get some better planes and some planes earlier, except they need to switch a huge part of their production to Mitshubishi Ha-43 engine to utilize most important of them.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Juan sent me back the artwork, scenario intro, and a list of device fixes on some US DDs. Will get those taken care of and then send you the file Stanislav.

My widescreen res is 1920x1080 too...

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

My corrections list is growing instead of getting shorter.  Plan to do changes tonight detailed to me by Juan and FatR in the Modding Thread.

John 3rd

Finished

Post by John 3rd »

All changes just made are somewhat detailed in the Mod Thread.  Am done and starting Turn One planning and work.

BANZAI!

John 3rd

No Loser Giants from this Point!

Post by John 3rd »

The Thread is now closed to anyone who worships the NY Giants and has them in their email/avatar address.

John 3rd

RE: No Loser Giants from this Point!

Post by John 3rd »

I've got the last tweaks and fixes taken care of with the Mod (this I profoundly hope). Will start on Turn One tonight and will post strategy plans in a little while.

John 3rd

'So it Begins...'

Post by John 3rd »

Spent the better part of yesterday and today working on a Turn One for this Campaign. Am thankful to say that the turn has been SENT!

For the first time on this Thread: BANZAI!

The Reluctant Admiral starts with the Imperial Fleet slightly better prepared at the start of the war and progressively getting stronger throughout 1942 to peak strength in 1943.

Ground--The Imperial Fleet ground forces have several additions that include Engineers and Engineering Vehicles. The additions are based on the unit's size: an IJN Con Bat gains 12 Engineers and 2 Eng Vehicles while a large HQ Unit got 48 Engineers and 10 Vehicles. No additional combat firepower has been added whatsoever.

In a differing departure from the above, we did choose to add the German 88mm AA gun to several Japanese AA units. Most are in the Home Islands with a few spread around in Formosa, Saigon, and Truk.

Air--The only changes to the Japanese OOB at the start is that all Claudes have been upgraded to Zero, the CVs Air Groups filled out, and all CV Torpedo planes are Kates. About 80 planes are added in total here.

Naval--The 4th Circle is only just getting started so the Japanese gain the new Agano and Noshiro as well as Shoho.

I shall cover the basics of the Opening Turn with expectations:

Carrier Strikes

1. Pearl Harbor will be hit be CarDiv2 and CarDiv5. These four CVs SHOULD send in about 80 Zero, 90+ Vals, and 90+ Kates. Three Zero Daitai are on AF Attack with one flying Escort. ALL of the attack Daitai are on Port Attack. Simply hope to hit all 8 BBs and inflict enough damage to make them a non-factor for the first couple of months. I really HOPE to hit some CA/CL as I think this is more important for the escorting strength of the Pacific Fleet to start with.

2. Manila shall--hopefully--be creamed by CarDiv1 and the Mini-KB. Good old Akagi and Kaga hit from the west while Ryuho, Shoho, and Zuiho strike from the east. Of the five Daitai of Zeros 2 fly Escort and 3 attack the AF. The 50+ Vals are on Port Strike and the 90 or so Kates are doing the same. Pending on the time stamp of the turn sent, Michael gets to form up 2 SS per second on the turn sent (ie 5:34:05 would allow him to form 10 Subs and they get away from the attack. Simply want to hit as much as possible here and get sinkings. Sinking anywhere from 5-8 SS and hitting the rest would be great. The other shipping is incidental.

Once this attack is done the carriers will crush anything escaping the Philippines.

3. CVE Taiyo and Hosho are carrying 21 Zero, 12 Val, and 6 Kates. They will take position off of Mindanao to attack whatever they can.

Air Strikes
Philippines--I decided to move ALL Betty and Nell to Formosa. They will smash the Philippine AF of Iba, Clark, Manila the first day. Nearly 200 bombers and 100 Zeros shall take part in the assault. Anything less then crippling the Philippine Air Force shall be considered a failure. Hope to get each AF over 50% damaged.

Malaya--Strong attacks against Georgetown, Alor Star, and Kota Bharu. Fighters have been moved to the peninsula to provide cover for the Allied air attacks as well as Sweep the above bases. Should be fairly effective.

Landings and Land Planning
Landings--I will land at Kota Bharu and Aparri. That is it for the opening of the war.

Philippines--Strong landing at Aparri and then I will take Northern Luzon. Intend to simply fix the Allies here for a bit while I assault Mindanao to the south. This island will be invaded by an Inf Div and a Brigade for a very quick capture. Jolo will be taken no later then Dec 10th to provide a good AF for the Central Drive.

Burma--Shall drive north with two Inf Div and work to Northern Burma.

Malaya--Have been seriously mulling over the Mersing Gambit. Will land at Singora, Patani, and Kota Bharu while I make up my mind. The troops won't be in position for several days regardless so we'll see what Michael does. IF this landing does happen it will be covered by CarDiv1.

Western Drive--While the Allies are occupied with whatever happens in Malaya, I will strike quickly to take Kuching and Singawang as set-up for a fast capture of Palembang. My intention is have this base no later then the 25th of December (hopefully faster).

If possible once I have these three targets I will 'bounce the Rhine' and land on western Java by January 15th.

Central Drive--Coinciding with these operations will be the grabbing of Tarakan and Balikpapan no later them by December 25th.

Eastern Drive--Normal moves here towards Ambon and Timor but not at the same breakneck speed.

MUST take Darwin and NW Aussieland.

North Pacific--Ominato starts with a couple of small Engineering units, two small Infantry units, and a several small Base Force. These weak units will grab Kiska, Amchatka, and plan for possible expansion to Dutch Harbor once a strong Infantry unit is bought out and sent north.

South Pacific--In this Mod the 144th Inf Reg starts at Rabaul along with a number of other, smaller units (Base Force and Construction mainly)to provide strong Engineer support for the moves into Rabaul, New Guinea, and the Solomons.

This drive shall be augmented by the Imperial Guards Brigade from Tokyo. The Brigade will arrive December 8th to bolster the fighting strength of Truk. No more major Infantry units will be sent this direction for time so these two units, plus SNLF, must bear the weight of the assault.

Central Pacific--Guam will be taken by an SNLF unit in Saipan and Wake will be grabbed by two Infantry units from Kwajalein. Several small units have been added to the Marshalls to aid in Base Construction and AF Support.

For me, this will be fairly restrained. I have set the close, middle, and distant objectives for the war and intend to follow them. Also really want to attack commerce wherever possible. The I-Boats and AMCs shall be active!

This is the thumbnail. I will go into more detail once I get the turn back from Michael.

Return to “After Action Reports”