How do I know what I've researched?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

concern

How do I know what I've researched?

Post by concern »

Is there a way to work out what you have already researched? Many times I will get an offer of technology from another empire and I have no clue as to whether I already have that tech or not. It is also not always clear where in the tech tree a particularly offered tech belongs.

I think the offered tech in the diplomacy screen should be a hot link to a tech tree.
Wade1000

RE: How do I know what I've researched?

Post by Wade1000 »

I agree. This same issue was originally in Master of Orion 3 until an update(I think it was an official update) added a mouse over popup with a level and description of the technologies.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

you can open the tech window without canceling the deal. then in it click on any component being researched right now, you can use the left arrow and right arrow to scroll the technologies, in order... the order is partially randomized, with some techs always before other techs.
As for where it should go, after a little bit of experience you know exactly where each goes, since most technologies can only go in one place.
you can usually search via the various techs until you see a previous version of said tech.

however, it is understandable to want an easier "in line" so to speak information about that technology, and what your current tech is. I am all for it being added.
until then, you can do what i suggested :P
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
concern

Post by concern »

When you are in the the browser, it only seems to allow you to scroll backwards to previous techs and not forward to the unresearched ones. Is this correct?
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

ORIGINAL: taltamir

As for where it should go, after a little bit of experience you know exactly where each goes, since most technologies can only go in one place.
you can usually search via the various techs until you see a previous version of said tech.
Problem with this quote it is almost making an excuse for the poor execution of the tech tree. I almost quit the game because of this (since it's one of my favorite things in 4X games) and I was disapointed with it. I almost didn't have the experiance to go with this. I am glad I stuck with the game because I love it now, but a game shouldn't be this hard to learn something like Tech and where it goes.

Hopefully this will be addressed and when going in the tech or research screen it will be easier to read.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: concern

When you are in the the browser, it only seems to allow you to scroll backwards to previous techs and not forward to the unresearched ones. Is this correct?

correct... you start on the technology currently being researched (you don't have it yet), and can scroll backwards to previous technologies
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

i actually like the simplistic tech tree and the fact you have little control over it UNLESS you pay a price.
OverlordCW

Post by OverlordCW »

Is there a way to work out what you have already researched? Many times I will get an offer of technology from another empire and I have no clue as to whether I already have that tech or not. It is also not always clear where in the tech tree a particularly offered tech belongs.

I think the offered tech in the diplomacy screen should be a hot link to a tech tree.
I think they can only offer you techs, you don't already have.
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Personally, I would like more branches of tech (especially weapons and defence), since atm it's simply each level is the same as the last but stronger... I would like different types of weapons, some needing different counters (think Space Empire) 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
pndrev

Post by pndrev »

Yeah, the tech tree is pretty one-way. Even the original Master of Orion had a diverse tree where you could get different techs depending on you luck, each with strengths and drawbacks.

Maybe they'll open up the modding of technology in the future...
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Taltamir covered how to look this up right now.

I agree that in the future, making the tech information available in the diplomatic offer would make sense. Looking at future unresearched tech is intentionally off-limits by design. Your scientists are only supposed to be able to "see forward" one tech level, the one they are working on. With that said, this is really aimed more at new players than experienced players.

Adding more techs in the future (in an expansion, I would expect) is definitely possible.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

the problem with seeing forward is that "future techs" are randomized somewhat in the order of which they are researched.
concern

Post by concern »

I think your (taltamir) comments about experience are correct. I find as I become more familiar with the tech tree, I can more instinctively understand what is being offered. However, if you wish to appeal to a broader audience, and hence, invite more sales, these learning hurdles can actually be simply addressed.

On another note, and correct me if I am wrong, it seems that when I purchase a tech that is ahead of the one currently being researched, my currently researched tech gets reset to zero...starting again. Has anyone else noticed this?
Astorax

Post by Astorax »

That is WAD. The price you paid for that tech included the unresearched part of the tech you are working on as well as the price of the future tech you actually got. So, it makes sense its reset. You reset it yourself in the trade screen, heh.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

it isn't your CURRENT research...
if you are researching shields 5 and someone sells you shields 8, you are really buying shields 5, 6, 7, and 8. and your research now starts from 0 on shields 9. Pay careful attention to the naming of what you were researching before and after.

Pricing takes all that into account btw. So if you are 50% done with shields 5 and buy shields 8, it is priced as 50% the cost of shields 5, + full cost of shields 6, 7 and 8.
If you are researching shields 5 and its 99% done, and you buy shields 5 from someone, you only pay 1% of the cost of shields 5.
concern

Post by concern »

But does that also apply to the tech branches that have different types of tech and not just a clear line of enhancements, like your shields example? For example manufacturing has energy plants, hightech plants, weapons plants etc; do I get all of these when I purchase a future tech level?

Thanks
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

But does that also apply to the tech branches that have different types of tech and not just a clear line of enhancements, like your shields example? For example manufacturing has energy plants, hightech plants, weapons plants etc; do I get all of these when I purchase a future tech level?

Thanks
yes, you get all of those.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”