Good Military Flightsims?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Odin

Good Military Flightsims?

Post by Odin »

Iám looking for a military flight sim....something like Falcon 4.0 or F/A-18 Hornet..

Unfortunately, the time for this kind of sims seems to be over once and for all.

Can someone tell me otherwise?

Thank you.
Knavery

RE: Good Military Flightsims?

Post by Knavery »

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Odin

Iám looking for a military flight sim....something like Falcon 4.0 or F/A-18 Hornet..

Unfortunately, the time for this kind of sims seems to be over once and for all.

Can someone tell me otherwise?

As his link proves... no. It's a dead issue at the moment. Excepting the WWI flt sim of recent, that is not without controversy about it's sales model and DRM. However, one can hope that a similarly frustrated future programmer will take up the flag.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
uncc

Post by uncc »

there is DCS: Black Shark. Its a military helicopter flight sim

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

but there is that nasty DRM...[:@]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
DampSquib

Post by DampSquib »

Try this.....http://www.hangsim.com/vsf/

Lock On ...mmm don't know if that works on WIN 7.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Microsoft Flight Simulator X is pretty nice for non-military. I own IL-2 Sturmovik (about $6 on Good Old Games) and Battle over Britain (Matrix), both of which are fun.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Take a look at the new version of Lock-On: Flaming Cliffs 2 (http://lockon.co.uk/) which is fully Windows 7 compatible and it as an outstanding and detailed simulation.

It is an upgrade from Flaming Cliffs 1/Lock On so you so if you buy the digital download version you do need to own one of these but they can also be purchased and digitally downloaded and are very cheap. If you buy the DVD version I don't think you need the prerequisites.

The graphics, avionics and feeling of flight are simply outstanding.

It does use activation and I think it comes with 10 activations with the ability to increase by showing proof of purchase. You can also deactivate, thus saving an activation so in reality, you shouldn't run out too quickly.

I can't recommend it enough.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
jomni

Post by jomni »

I recommmend the Strike Fighters Series. www.thirdwire.com

Unlike Falcon 4.0 and LOMAC, the game is simpler to operate. No complex key sequences, dashbord pressing, and layers of MFD functions.  All instrument operations are done by just a click of a keyboard button.  But the game is not arcade.  Flight physics, weapons modeling, combat tactics are authentic. 

Some hardcore flight fanatics will be tuned-off by the lack of sophistication.  But for me, the ease of operation has it's advantages:

1) Easy to get into the game and start doing air combat.
2) Focus more on tactics and the air combat itself than remembering how to operate the avionics / instruments.
3) Ultimately more fun.  It's a game anyway.

Other advantages:
1) Games are cheap.  $20 per title.
2) Dynamic Campaigns (not realtime like Falcon 4.0 but better than the scripted LOMAC)
3) Some titles cover historical theaters like Vietnam and Israel (unlike LOMAC and Falcon 4.0).
4) Game is made for modding out of the box (tons of mods are available at www.combatace.com).  Just download additional stuff and drag to appropriate folder.
5) Game (Series 2) is made for Windows Vista / 7, DX10 environment.
6) No serial number, No DRM.

Disadvantages:
1) If you like detailed avionics operation, look elsewhere.
2) No built-in mission builder (have to rely on 3rd party tools).

Won't hurt to try it out.
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Of WW2 flight sims, IL-2 Sturmovik is by far the best of them all. Dont confuse it with the new Il-2 Sturmovik: Wings of Prey (or something), it shares only the name with the "real il2": this ones originally a console game, and mainly an arcadish flying shooter. Graphics are "better" but its anything but a sim, though the flight models can be tuned to fairly realistic-ish, dont expect it to simulate much more than Pearl Harbor the Movie graphics. It doesnt.

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 something like 10$, multiplayer is free and there are about a thousand players online on weekend evenings. And a team still makes official updats to it, one coming out in the next few months. No DRM either, available both from Steam and as a DVD copy. Compatible with Vista and W7.

For multiplayer use the HyperLobby lobby software, its 100% free, by Jiri Fojtasek, there: http://hyperfighter.sk

Return to “General Discussion”