Playing with the editor

The Seven Years’ War was fought across the globe and called by some the first “World War” as virtually every major power participated. In the center of events was Prussia, almost constantly at war and lead by the now legendary Frederick the Great.

Relive the exciting and trying days of Frederick the Great in Horse and Musket: Volume I, the improved and expanded combination of the previous Prussian War Machine and Prussia’s Glory titles. Horse and Musket: Volume I is a reboot of the successful Horse and Musket series, including not only two solid historical titles in one package, but also many new game features, a powerful new editor, and a complete graphics overhaul to an already acclaimed gaming system.

Moderators: Tim Coakley, Sertorius

AlAmos

Playing with the editor

Post by AlAmos »

For anyone who likes to tinker with game editors, this one is a gem. You can change just about everything.

One feature I am liking in particular is you can setup just one army, and then run the scenario through the game engine. This allows me to see if the command control is set the way I want to, if the army can cover the ground it historically did, if it fits and looks right on the battlefield. Probably just me.

Something this feature will allow is for a designer to set up a 'wargame' for an army. Say you are going to create several scenarios with the same oob for a Prussian army. You can also set up a scenario where just that army is on a 'parade' field. This will allow a player to go through several turns of just marching thier troops around, getting used to disruption, activation, movement rates, etc, etc. Kind of like they really did. [;)]
Al Amos
U.S. Postal Letter Carrier
"Serving Tulsa one address at a time."
Magnus

RE: Playing with the editor

Post by Magnus »

Yes I agree it´s a great editor, me myself haven´t got much time to use it since I am so busy adding new armies to the game ;)
/Magnus
Sumter

Post by Sumter »

The editor is excellent!  In many ways it is the best part of the game.

Magnus, can you relate which armies you are working on?
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Currently finishing up the last Prussian regiments, I have begun work on the British army and the Russian army. The Swedish SYW army is finished.

All in all I need to make the following armies

French
British
Reichsarmee
Russian
Hannover

And some more of course.
/Magnus
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

The best think in editor is compatible with file ***.hm2 and when you work with editor and somethink cut your work, you haven't lost everythink. The editor have auto saves options, to run your last autoeditors save look in SavedGames/EditorAutoSave.hm2
Changes....
anvl

Post by anvl »

yea,, its a great editor,, no doubt

anvil
Deus subrisum stultusi et ferrari
AlAmos

Post by AlAmos »

Does anyone know the maximum character length for the NAME and UNIT TYPE fields in the unit display window?
Al Amos
jackx

Post by jackx »

~45 and ~35 respectively, using the default font of the game. That is, any more than that, and the text will go over the borders of the unit properties display, I don't think there is a real limit.

Not really why I'm posting here, though, I went back over the "original intended scale" argument I sort of got myself into with AlAmos a couple of days ago, and I realized that even with this more powerful editor, there's still hardcoded leftovers of the "battalion scale/150yards" that can't be adjusted. Namely, the artillery effectiveness modifier based on the number of men in the target hex -would it be possible to make that customizable, the same way as leader casualties and unit dissolution?
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace
AlAmos

Post by AlAmos »

Thanks Jackx.

I second your request to make the artillery effectiveness base customizable.
Al Amos
amrcg

Post by amrcg »

A question from someone new to this game. 
Does the editor allow the user to add new armies from nations other than the ones supported by default? In my case I was interested on modeling the Portuguese and Spanish armies.

Regards,
António
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Yes, of course if you want to the shall look like Spain or Portugues you should make unit graphic and change on file.
Changes....
amrcg

Post by amrcg »

ORIGINAL: PrinzHenrich

Yes, of course if you want to the shall look like Spain or Portugues you should make unit graphic and change on file.

So we may add whatever armies we want to the list of supported armies, and they become available in the scenario editor, is that right? Or do we have to replace the existing armies with the new ones?

António
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

It depend.
In editor is option "NAtionality". You can choose or write new one. It can be British or Spain as well. See picture.
Other think is use graphic unit as Spain or Sweden unit.

Attachments
martix.jpg
martix.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Changes....
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Exemple I can put in editor all units that have graphic in folder Supported files/armies/NAMEOFARMY
You can creat new folder or add new folder and put there your own tga files with poses of marsch, Rout, Standing, Line, destroyed, etc.
Note that anytime when you add new folder ther you shall deleted file "UnitDefinition"
Other way is use existing pictures of tga.

I use here Austrian Roth Wurzburg infantry and Prussians Schlichting infantry for Zamora Infantry and Regimiento de Guardias Españolas

Attachments
martix2.jpg
martix2.jpg (190.18 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Changes....
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

See as follow. OF course you can forced yourself to play in GIMP and drawning your own army.

Attachments
matrix3.jpg
matrix3.jpg (174.94 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Changes....
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

Tomasz has already provided a great answer. You can add new units using existing graphics, or add in new graphics.

The next game in the series will have French, British, Russian, and other units from 7YW.

Tim
Horse and Musket2---Matrix Games
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Yeah, I waiting for it [8|]
That will be great fun and pleasure
Changes....
amrcg

Post by amrcg »

Great answers! Many thanks!!!!!