Carrier Fighter Repair Rates

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pat.casey

Carrier Fighter Repair Rates

Post by pat.casey »

I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is a game feature, so can somebody enlighten me on this one?

Its December of 1943. I have about 8 fleet carriers which I've been using on and off. All of them have full 36 aircraft wings of hellcats. All of them have about half their hellcats damaged. All of them are docked in a level 9 port with plenty of supply. There are 250+ hellcats in the pool.

My carriers say they have 36 pilots, 14 ready hellcats, and 22 hellcats under repair.

Mean time to repair is 6 days.

From what I can see, that means, on average, once every 6 days a single hellcat is repaired. After a month parked in port, I've gone from 14 ready hellcats to 19.

So here's my questions:

1) Why's my time to repair so low on board carriers? At this rate it'll take me 3 months to fill my wings out again and then I'll be back in the yard after a week of air operations.
2) Is mean time to repair supposed to be *for one plane*? If I have 12 damaged planes, and mean time to repair is 6 days, I'd expect to repair about 2 a day, statistically.
khyberbill

RE: Carrier Fighter Repair Rates

Post by khyberbill »

For whatever reason, my planes seem to repair much faster at sea, so I always send them on a sea cruise. Perhaps the airdales get too tipsy in port.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

On the group screen, left-click (IIRC) on the PILOTS at the bottom of the screen.
This will show you status of the planes in the group and the repair time for each plane.
Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Repair facilities (chance to repair) on a carrier are based on the ship's SYS damage; SYS = 0 means full a/c facilities, SYS = 20 means 80% facilities.

Carrier a/c repair does not require supply.
There is no a/c repair once SYS exceeds 60.
No special "in port" a/c repair bonus. Same repair conditions for at sea and in port.
Standing down the group also increases repair chance.
Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Please post a save in the Tech Forum if this is still a problem
Michael
pat.casey

Post by pat.casey »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Please post a save in the Tech Forum if this is still a problem

Well that's the thing, I'm not sure if it is a problem or a design mechanic to keep me from overusing my carriers.

What's the *expected* amount of time to repair, say, 18/36 hellcats?
FOW

Post by FOW »

On the group screen, left-click (IIRC) on the PILOTS at the bottom of the screen.
This will show you status of the planes in the group and the repair time for each plane.

WOW I never knew this - it's very handy - although it's a RIGHT mouse click on 'PILOTS' [8D]
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: FOW

WOW I never knew this - it's very handy - although it's a RIGHT mouse click on 'PILOTS' [8D]

Well I can't remember everything [:D]
Michael
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Probably doesn't work in AE, but in stock I used to divide my larger units, stand them down and I'd recombine them later to get quicker repairs ...

Not sure about this in AE though, so maybe a thing to test.

--Damian--
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: FOW
Well I can't remember everything [:D]

We also just split the planes out to their own button for patch 2. [:)]

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
bsq

Post by bsq »

Regardless of the port or not, why is it taking deck crews so long to repair carrier aircraft?  I am seeing similar turn around times on my fighters.  Just as well (as of May 43) the AI has made some howlers and all of the original Japanese CV's are at the bottom of the Solomon's Sea/Coral Sea.  Still it means I have to stand off islands outside of Betty range or under the umbrella of Ground based CAP until my carrier crews have sorted their lives out!

Another annoyance is that whilst en-route to a planned invasion etc my covering CV's often take half the airwing down for maintenance before a single mission is flown! (Even when I stand the airgroups down to prevent unnecessary flying).  In what reality would that happen?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

We did find a bug with carrier aircraft repair that will be fixed for patch 2.  Unfortunately, you will have to live with the problem for a few more weeks until we can get the patch out.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
erstad

Post by erstad »

Can you provide any more details on the nature of the bug, and/or ways to stay out of harm's way?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”