RE: Deluxe AWD 1.047

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Lebatron

RE: Deluxe AWD 1.047

Post by Lebatron »

Hello everyone,

Deluxe AWD has just been updated. Here is the new Russian map I've been promising everyone. Enjoy!

Find Deluxe AWD HERE

Attachments
russia.jpg
russia.jpg (188.75 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
rjh1971

RE: Deluxe AWD 1.02

Post by rjh1971 »

Got it, thank you Jesse!!!
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
AussieBoMbR

Post by AussieBoMbR »

Awesome work dude!!! [&o]
Torplexed

Post by Torplexed »

Will Deluxe AWD work with the AI? Or do you need a human opponent given all the geographical changes?
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I took pains to make the AI work great. Select either Arsenal of Democracy or Axis Blitz to take advantage of my improvements here. These scenarios will meet your needs.
AussieBoMbR

Post by AussieBoMbR »

Just starting my first PBEM with deluxe...will let you know how it goes...feels like a whole different game again [8D]

One thing I noticed straight away is that there are no 'refineries' in the DEI or trans-jordan like there are in GG 1.040...I thought that this was a nice touch in GG as it showed for one that the middle east and Sth East Asia were full of oil...Is this something you would consider adding to the scenario?
Lebatron

Deluxe AWD 1.03

Post by Lebatron »

Hello everyone,

Deluxe AWD has been updated to version 1.03

New narrows off of Scotland is one of many new additions

Find Deluxe AWD HERE

Attachments
england.jpg
england.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 345 times
runyan99

RE: Deluxe AWD 1.03

Post by runyan99 »

I was reading through your PDF. Since the Maginot line faced east, I don't see why it should remain in the game past the fall of France. You are giving the Germans a west facing defensive line that didn't exist in France.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Yes that is true. The intent here is to give Germany incentive to hold ground in France after the D-day landing. If you want to give it a logical reason for being, then call them the Hedgerows. These gave a good advantage to the Germans. Made progress slow. Did you know that without a fortress in eastern France the typical German response after D-day is to make a total retreat to west Germany. You seem to be arguing for realism. So ask yourself this. Did Germany make a total retreat to the home land as soon as the Allies landed in western France? No they didn't, they held ground in France for quite a while. So if I add something to Deluxe that encourages the Germans to try and hold rather than retreat, would I not be enhancing realism then? Consider this, if Germany always retreats to western Germany because there is no good reason to hold in France, then there is no way for Germany to pull off a successful Battle of the Bulge(Ardennes Offensive), and push the Allies back out to sea. In order for it to even be a pipe dream, the German army needs to be adjacent to western France. Hence, the incentive I added.

If you wish to make further comments please place them in the home thread for Deluxe. It is there suggestions, comments, and gripes;) should be placed so I have a log. Plus others can more easily follow ongoing discussion of Deluxe. Thanks
runyan99

Post by runyan99 »

ORIGINAL: Lebatron

You seem to be arguing for realism. So ask yourself this. Did Germany make a total retreat to the home land as soon as the Allies landed in western France?

No, they retreated after the fall of Paris. After the breaching of the Normandy front, retreating German units were encircled and annihilated in the battle of Falaise. Those that survived retreated to the Sigfried line in west Germany as fast as possible. There wasn't a line of entrenchments in eastern France to fall back on.

If you're going to fortify part of France, the German entrenchment area should be in Western France, making D-Day and the Normandy breakout tough, not in eastern France. There is just no justification for that.
Lebatron

RE: Deluxe AWD 1.04

Post by Lebatron »

Deluxe AWD has been updated to 1.04
See link to thread above for more info.
Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

[&o]

Very nice mod Jessie, looking forward to playing this again again after a long time away from it. ( from all games actually, I caused my loved ones to have an intervention of sorts on my behalf... I'm better now [;)]

One question, one of the lures of Global Glory (just checking this mod too) is the supply only factories. Why did you not include this feature in deluxe?
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Hi Tim long time not seen you, welcome back [:)]
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Bump, this thread should not get lost [:)]
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

The patch to support this has now gone official.
smittyohio90

Post by smittyohio90 »

Thanks for all your work on AWD, Labatron. Quick question about how Deluxe AWD plays vs the AI (I'm still learning the game... just never been able to focus on it long enough to have it grab me for good). I noticed in the documentation that you said it encompasses the changes for Global Glory, which states repeatedly that the AI won't play well, and wasn't designed for it. So, I'm unsure if I should be playing vs the AI in Deluxe AWD or not. I know I'd get whipped anyway since I'm learning, but once I get over that curve, will it offer a challenge?
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

You could increase the standard difficulty level while playing the standard scenario which would certainly give you a challenge, but better yet select one of the 2 extra scenarios I made that are tailor made to be human vs AI. In these two scenarios, I carefully added extra units to the AI's side, plus placed units in the AI nations build cues to help it choose these builds over ones made from scratch. I also tweaked AI tech levels so that each nation goes down a more correct path so that it helps its overall strategy given each nations specific needs. For instance, the US needs to focus its tech on air and navy while the Soviet Union needs to focus on army techs.

For the average player, I believe Axis blitz or Arsenal of Democracy will provide a solid challenge at normal difficulty. If you want a bit more challenge you can custom tweak each nation to give them combat bonuses. For instance, if you find that the balance is fine in Russia then don't give the Soviets a combat bonus, and if you find the US being a bit to timid because it keeps trying out attacks then calling them off because the odds don't look to good for them, then what you can do is give the western Allies a +1 or +2 combat bonus to help out their aggressiveness. It's what I prefer to do.

And for those playing with advanced supply you could also optionally turn that off for the AI nations. The AI will also improve its play under simple supply. It just can't finesse this as well as we can. In any case, I provide these suggestions in the readme for Deluxe, and maybe a few more, I can't remember off the top of my head because I wrote it over 2 years ago.

Edit. I should add that maybe you should wait until you know the game better before trying the extra hard AI scenarios I created, since you mentioned you are just learning the game. You may find it to hard to knock out France in a timely manner if you do not know how to do so under the normal scenario yet. Just play the normal scenario of Deluxe for now and ask questions if you're having trouble. Have fun.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

An update is in the works. In fact it's mostly done, but I don't want to rush it out without a few PBEM test games. I got a couple offers thanks. When I got time for a game I will hit you guys up.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

A few months back I was tinkering again like I stated above and I'll post a pic to show you my planned map change for the US. It's just a small change, but makes the US even cleaner to manage. I had always wanted to do away with the 6 US zones and have only a few. In my previous work, I moved factories to the east and west coast into 2 locations so that the build que would be easier to manage. What was left were a few US zones that had no play value. Well I'm removing them now in my new update. see pic

The other change I have planned will hopefully make play in the Pacific a bit more aggressive sooner rather than latter. The problem I feel is that nobody wants to risk losing a carrier because the current system makes torpedoes to easy to tech up and therefore way to effective at sinking capitals. Like a previous problem I nerfed, ie US carrier air teching to speed 3 and therefore gaining a hugely unrealistic advantage, I'm now nerfing torpedo teching to plug another unrealistic game exploit. So here's what I have done. My latest change makes it cost prohibitive to increase torpedo tech over Japan's initial value. Carrier air can still tech up as normal to become better dog fighters, but the torpedo tech will be more stagnant. There will be no super torpedoes in 1942-43 anymore. This means that air that gets through the air screen will not be sinking capital ships like it should be an automatic thing. Rather you will see more damaged instead of destroyed results when sides are more evenly matched. This I hope will translate into more sea action in 1942-43. I have also found that ship AA research may now payoff as well.

Attachments
ScreenHunter_02.jpg
ScreenHunter_02.jpg (165.85 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Lebatron

RE: Deluxe AWD 1.045

Post by Lebatron »

Update is ready for download. I call it 1.045 beta 1. When all testing is done it will be officially called 1.05. In the mean time, it may be tweaked slightly a few times so I have given myself room to call the updates 1.046, 1.047 etc. For those in current PBEM games, you will find it easy to keep track of what version you are using with opponent.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”