River Crossings

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Capt. Pixel

River Crossings

Post by Capt. Pixel »

I stumbled on a superb little river crossing force - Cavalry.

Match up a couple of companies of Cavalry with a few sections of medium mortars for smoke cover and shoreline suppression, and you've got one h*** of a tough assault group.

They swim across in squad formation. They don't need barges.

They're not subject to the one-hit, one-kill sniper shot that assault boats are.

They can pop smoke AND return fire from the middle of the river!

And even if there IS a mine field on the banks, after a turn or two (and a couple of horses down) they're through and rampaging the backfield.

I did a battle this morning with 7 Co So Cavalry, 2 Partisan plt, 3 medium mortar sections - running over a 250 meter river into 2000 points of defending Germans. The infiltrating Partisans arrived just in time to watch the victrious cavalry charge to the rear area objectives. :D I did lose two squads of cavalry tho'.

Very impressive! :cool:
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

That is extremely interesting. :)

How did you happen to come up with the idea of testing cavalry in a river crossing?
Capt. Pixel

Post by Capt. Pixel »

We were setting up a PBEM Assault/Defend and I thought to look at cavalry amphib capabilities. Mostly for flank harassment. After a couple of test runs, I was pretty well convinced that they could do the entire job. :D

But my opponent decided for an airdrop anyway. :(
- Stonewall Jackson
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Nicely done Captain. Interesting insight!

Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
chief

Post by chief »

Now Captain pull those Ski troops across the river with the calvary, and they'd be the first water ski troopers!!!!!:D :D :D :D Finally a use for the ski troops.:D :D :D :cool: :o
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

THERE IS NO USE FOR SKI TROOPS - THEY ARE UTTERLY USELESS!!
chief

Post by chief »

Goblin can't you just picture those parka clad ski troops water skiing, of course we must assume that the river is not frozen.:D :D ;) :cool:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

I can picture the ski troops as an anchor. Thats the only use that there is for them in the game. I hate to even see the words.

Goblin- A Goblin has some animosity:mad:
chief

Post by chief »

Goblin if I read correctly, what youse is saying is ski troops are not correctly titled OOB, due to a typo they should be BOO!!!!or in your case BOO HOO.:D :D :D ;) :cool:
Capt. Pixel

No use for Ski Troops?

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Originally posted by Goblin
Taking a cue from you (and your nasty little Soviet Conscripts in our last game), I've selected Ski Troops as my rear area security.

They're doing well against Soviet Paratroopers in the game I mentioned above. They, combined with MC squads, are doing a fine job of holding the rear areas and harassing scattered paras.

They're not the flashiest guys on the beat, but they're cheap and can sure gum up the works if you have to pound your way through them. :D
- Stonewall Jackson
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Has anybody tried ski troops crossing a mine field? Pressure mines should not be set off by ski troops.

Just a thought...
Kanon Fodder

Re: No use for Ski Troops?

Post by Kanon Fodder »

Originally posted by Capt. Pixel

Taking a cue from you (and your nasty little Soviet Conscripts in our last game), I've selected Ski Troops as my rear area security.

They're not the flashiest guys on the beat, but they're cheap and can sure gum up the works if you have to pound your way through them. :D
They're a bitch to get moving in July, though ...
(always running out of sun block)
;) :cool:
Tomanbeg

Post by Tomanbeg »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
Oh yeah? Wait til some finnish ski troops run down your Kv's in the snow. Then you will understand. You do use them in the snow, right?
T.(Who has never tried pulling them behind an R-Boote).
"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http
Capt. Pixel

Cavalry update

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Additional note for those thinking of trying the Cavalry/River crossing tactic:

There are TWO types of Cavalry, Heavy and Light. The units I was using were the Soviet Light Cavalry, which have an amphibious speed of 2. Heavy Cavalry have an amphibious speed of 1.

The Heavy Cavalry types are not nearly as good at this approach because of the long delay in swimming the river.

Check your cav's speed before you buy. ;)

Another idea:

River Patrol Boats (towing SMG-armed Ski troops :) ) in the river to be crossed. Bet your opponent wouldn't expect that! :rolleyes: :D
- Stonewall Jackson
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Originally posted by Tomanbeg
Originally posted by Goblin
Oh yeah? Wait til some finnish ski troops run down your Kv's in the snow. Then you will understand. You do use them in the snow, right?
T.(Who has never tried pulling them behind an R-Boote).
They cannot close assault. They cannot remove mines. They cannot be useful, because THEY SUCK!! Except for target practice.

Goblin- A Goblin slaps in a new clip :mad:
Orzel Bialy

I'm partly to blame for this....

Post by Orzel Bialy »

Poor Gob sent in ski troops into a town that I mined the crap out of in our first ( and only head to head game to date )...and well, let's not get into the particulars.
Let's just say that they were less than effective. :D
In the wilds of the country with thick cover they are great for moving fast and being able to hit somewhat harder. In town or elsewhere...eh, forget it. :(
Goblin

No, I was perfectly clear...

Post by Goblin »

THEY SUCK EVERYWHERE!!

Any infantry that cannot close assault, cannot throw smoke, and cannot clear mines are worth less than a MG Kuebelwagen!

Goblin- A Goblin spells it out

Orzel, unless you made the ski-troops worthless, it ain't your fault!;)
Orzel Bialy

well....what I meant was...

Post by Orzel Bialy »

I had a hand in helping "discover" how much they suck. Yes...I think that covers what I was trying to imply. :)
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Oh, you want due credit!

You are now the co-founder of the Forum-Wide SKI TROOPS SUCK Foundation for the Infantry Impaired!

Goblin- A Goblin gives to the impaired:D

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”