A book recommendation for you...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

A book recommendation for you...

Post by JudgeDredd »

Anyone interested in the Vietnam era...Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

I bought this book way back in 1985 and read it whilst posted to The Falklands. It was one of the first books I read from start to finish in less than 2 weeks..although there is so much to do in The Falklands! [8|]

Anyway, I've had a history with this book...read it in The Falklands and when I was posted back to the UK, I left it there. I bought it again and read it again some years later (late 80's) and lent it to my brother in law, who lost it. He then bought me a copy he found in a car boot sale in mid 90s (I was always telling him he lost it)...I lent it to a friend who swears blind he gave it back.

Anyway, bought it again recently and lent it to a friend at work and looking forward to getting it back so I can read it again. A very good book on a individuals experience as a Huey pilot in the outset of the Vietnam Conflict. There are some details which I pieced together one time (after watching We Were Soldiers) where he mentioned Landing Zone X-Ray and taking "the boss" (presumably Hal Moore) on a recce.

It's a fantastic read. Quite touching, detailed and a seat of the pants at times.

Just wanted to put this out there because so many of us go through our lives not knowing about the many excellent things that pass us by...the guys story is worth knowing.

I've read the book 3 times since 1985 and can't wait to get it back again!
Alba gu' brath
E

RE: A book recommendation for you...

Post by E »

Yes, I remember it being a good book as well. Although I only read it once (too many books stacking my shelves to do any repeats these decades).
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Excellent book - it's a story that lives with you afterwards. That it's true make it unforgettable.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Yep-a good book. I only had to buy it once more than 25 years ago-I think I still have it.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I must have read this book at least 20 times over the years, I've still got my dog-eared 20 year old paperback copy.It's a stunning read.I recently bought the sequel Chickenhawk: Back in the World recently which goes into more detail about his life after Vietnam which is also excellent.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

... although there is so much to do in The Falklands! [8|]

You broke it, so you bought it.  [;)]

Return to “General Discussion”