AI?

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Mosby

AI?

Post by Mosby »

So how is the AI in the game? I know that a human player will always be better than the computer, but can it put up a challenge?

I'd love to buy the game, but as I really only play against the ai, I don't want to end up feeling like I could've done better.

Thanks for the help.
barbarossa2

RE: AI?

Post by barbarossa2 »

I think on a strategic level the AI does fine.  The game has many levels of complexity, and you can choose one which will beat you. :)  At higher levels, the AI gets to cheat by getting more units, etc.  What I like about the harder levels is the march attrition.  Historically between 10% and 15% according to the developer with his metrics.

However, I can't answer on the tactical side of things, as I don't play the battles.
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
*It is sweet and right to die for your country.
Mosby

Post by Mosby »

Thanks for the help when talking about the strategic side of things.

I've been in a big gaming funk lately and have been looking at either this or FoF. The only thing that really worries me about FoF is that I remember reading on how the AI would do crazy stuff that could really kill the challenge of the game.

I have the same worries for this game as well, but from what I've seen so far, everything looks allright. In the end, I'm just looking for a deep game that can last for a long time. I'm sick of playing games that only last for a short amount of time.
barbarossa2

Post by barbarossa2 »

Mosby,

In my opinion then, you've really come to the right place.  Because its not like most WW2 games where you can play either the axis or allies.  You can play 8 powers!  And when you are done with those, you can even play Portugal, Poland, or Bavaria in the 1792 scenario.  Each one of those powers has its own strengths and weaknesses, and mastering each of their economic systems is a challenge as well (playing the turks is QUITE different than playing Britain). 

I see only a few problems with the game now, and the first patch should fix those right up. :)  I haven't heard any serious complaints in here yet.  Sure, there are some matters of taste.  And some things which COULD be improved, but I think that would be the case in any game.  Even with its few weaknesses, it is the best grand strategy game I have ever played.  That's just my opinion. 

B2
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
*It is sweet and right to die for your country.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Mosby,

Both the FOF and the COG: EE AI are quite good as AIs go. FOF's AI has also been improved significantly over time to pretty much match that just released in COG:EE so it could be that whatever feedback you heard was based on an early version.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mosby

Post by Mosby »

thanks for the fast responses, as well as the news that this game could really be the one I've been looking for.

I can't wait to give it a try!

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”