How to land troops?

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
Mosby

How to land troops?

Post by Mosby »

playing a mission where I have osprey's that have marines as their weapons. Just wondering how I drop the troops into the battlefield?

And for that matter, how do I re-fuel planes in the air?

Thanks for the help.
TonyE

RE: How to land troops?

Post by TonyE »

Hi Mosby,
     In HCE think of troops in an aircraft loadout or ship mount as weapons (which is how they are modelled).  So you get them close to the target (usually 1nm or close) and fire them at the target, the same as dropping a bomb.  We'll be changing that one of these years [8|]

Refueling planes in the air does tend to work (by far most of the time in the latest builds).  Join a tanker to the group to be tanked in mid-air, then press Alt-r to force a refueling or wait for it to happen automatically.  Word on the street is that the receiving group must be homogenous (i.e. if you have F-14 and A-6 in a group, with a KC-10, only the F-14s or A-6s will be refueled, not both).  Each flight of tankers can only offload fuel once per sortie.  You can also launch the tanker with the group then do the Alt-r to refuel when desired (or again wait for it to happen automatically) but staging them separately and joining them later seems to be a little more reliable. 

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
VictorInThePacific

RE: How to land troops?

Post by VictorInThePacific »

a comment and a question.

refueling comment: i haven't tested this in detail, but it may well be the case that the refueler and refuelee both need to be loitering at the same altitude before the process is initiated. i would frown on the use of alt-r to avoid the delay because it does actually take some time for the 2 units to creep up to each other.

troops comment: i seem to recall seeing a troop "weapon" that had a very long range. it was in the demo, most likely in an air unit in use. i think it was a "seal team" and i think the range was about 100 nm. i have not been able to find this after i started searching. any ideas?
hermanhum

Harpoon Classic scenarios

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: VictorInThePacific

refueling comment: i haven't tested this in detail, but it may well be the case that the refueler and refuelee both need to be loitering at the same altitude before the process is initiated. i would frown on the use of alt-r to avoid the delay because it does actually take some time for the 2 units to creep up to each other.

troops comment: i seem to recall seeing a troop "weapon" that had a very long range. it was in the demo, most likely in an air unit in use. i think it was a "seal team" and i think the range was about 100 nm. i have not been able to find this after i started searching. any ideas?
The game handles coordination of the speed during re-fueling operations. If you are too fast/slow, the game will give you a message of "going to cruise speed..." for the operation.

I think that the special SEAL unit with the extraordinary range you saw is particular to the demo battleset and not found in the normal HCDB.
VictorInThePacific

RE: Harpoon Classic scenarios

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

I think that the special SEAL unit with the extraordinary range you saw is particular to the demo battleset and not found in the normal HCDB.

By any chance, do you recall which unit or scenario we are talking about?

hermanhum

Harpoon Classic scenarios

Post by hermanhum »

My mistake.  The SEAL unit has 125nm and is found in the WestPac battleset that comes with the demo.  You can find the SEAL unit on the LCS ships.  I don't know which scenario, but I know that is one ship that carries them.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

They are on the SSGN Ohios too [:)]
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
CV32

Post by CV32 »

The SEAL Team has additional range because the intent is to model their transit by Swimmer Delivery Vehicle (or other means). The model is far from ideal, but you work with what you have.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
Mosby

Post by Mosby »

Thanks for the help guys!
VictorInThePacific

Thanks for the info on the SEAL team!

When I was first playing around with the demo, and investigating units loadouts, I came across the SEAL team but paid no real attention at the time.

Later, I became more familiar with troops on aircraft (they don't exist in HC), and recognized that all the delivery ranges were about 1 mile. So then I wanted to try out a SEAL team, because, you have to admit, it would be pretty cool to deliver troops at 100 miles. I searched and searched, exhaustively, I might add, but wasn't able to find it again.

Was I delusional?

The trick is, of course, that I searched aircraft loadouts, and the SEAL team apparently is on a ship.

I don't have a problem with the range, because it's pretty clear that these guys are sneaking in under cover of darkness or whatever.

Thanks again.

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”