New Addin: PSPN Baseball

This forum is for 3rd party developers to post enhancements for PureSim Baseball, such as stadium art, face packs, etc.

Moderator: puresimmer

CrashDavis

New Addin: PSPN Baseball

Post by CrashDavis »

Addin Name = PSPN Baseball
Addin Description = Game of the Week
Addin Version = v1.0

PureSim 2007 v1.72
Aug. 10, 2008

The concept for this addin was born from a topic started in the Wolverine Studios forum (thank you KG):
PureSim has the pre-season "power rankings", but how about a post-season "odds list", showing the favorites to win the World Series? This would crunch the regular season team stats, and show the odds to win, rather than another power ranking. What do you think of the idea?

Now admittedly, while the "odds making" part never quite worked out (I decided it might be prudent to leave the predictions up to each of you), I did find the concept rather interesting and perhaps useful even for a non-manager like me. I almost never visit individual team stats, rankings, or lineups during the course of a season - I do watch league leaders as the season progresses. However, at Playoff/World Series time, I like to delve deep into team matchups. The problem with going deep into team matchups in PureSim is that I spent an awlful lot of time clicking around in PureSim to get at all that information. I guess I got into such a routine of clicking that I didn't realize how much easier it would be to write an addin that could save me alot of time - until I read KG's post on Wolverine.

My first adaption of this addin I wrote to work for playoff games only. Then I adapted it to work with all games (regular season and post season). I have tested it with league structures of various number of teams, various playoff structures, Interleague games with and without DH, and World Series games with and without DH. However, by nature I am a baseball traditionalist, so I mostly stuck with testing league types like those that have occurred in real life baseball. One of the primary reasons I am releasing this addin now is to get feedback from you guys as to whether this addin will work with the type of league you are using.

The second type of feedback I need from everyone, is whether the information presented from the addin works for you. That is, is there something I should have included that I left out.

Do read the included .txt file in the zip archive. It will spell out what all the addin should do and how it functions. Any questions or comments, please let me know.

CrashDavis Addins
KG Erwin

RE: New Addin: PSPN Baseball

Post by KG Erwin »

Thanks, Crash.[&o] I tried it, and there's plenty of useful info, but my first suggestion would be to add the player names.  The RISP pct could be useful in lineup tweaking. 

As for handicapping a given game, there should be a way to crunch all this into a percentage (i.e., "there is a X% chance that X will win today".) Surely there's an existing sabermetric formula to calculate this? Anyone know of such a thing?

Check this series of articles: http://www.predictem.com/mlb/handicap.php

Now, for players who would want to get into a multiplayer association that involves a gambling aspect, then such a formula would make it easy. Let me say up front that I personally have NO interest in being involved in such an association. Many years ago I WAS in a fantasy league that had a signup fee, and cash prizes were awarded to first-place finishers. I didn't win.

As a disclaimer, I don't know how Shaun would feel about his game being used in this way. My PERSONAL interest in handicapping PS games is simply as an intellectual curiousity. I don't gamble, OK?
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I tried this out for the first time today and I have to say it looks good. But does it actually tell you who is predicted to win the current game? Do you just click on the game you want to get it running or what? When I ran it the last item on my screen said Special Report and there was a little green line below that which I clicked on and it took me to a player card for the opposing team, so I'm thinking I'm not seeing the full results of the Add-in. And what does RISP stand for?
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Wrathchild, this utility does NOT give predictions. That's simply an aspect I'm lobbying for. As for RISP, that is the BA with Runners In Scoring Position (i.e. a runner on second).
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Ah, ok. But what about the bottom being cut off? Am I missing part of the display?
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Wrathchild

Ah, ok. But what about the bottom being cut off? Am I being part of the display?

What do you mean? I used this to display ONE uncompleted game (the one I was about to manage). Nothing was missing.

Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I'll include an image to show what I'm talking about. The very last full piece of data I can see is the Injury Report. Below that there seems to be at least one more area called Special Report, with the very top edge of a player showing. If you click on that little green bar it will actually bring up a player card, but I have no idea what the Special Report is referring to. And you cannot scroll down any further than I have.

Attachments
addin.jpg
addin.jpg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 253 times
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

OK, I'm sure that Crash will revisit this, based on suggestions, and make some tweaks. 
CrashDavis

Post by CrashDavis »

Thank you Wrathchild for posting that screen shot. That solved two problems.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what KG meant by "needing to add player names" to the addin. The player names are there. LOL What I did not consider, was that he was starting the addin from the drop-down box. Of course, when you start an addin that way, PureSim automatically paints the background screen white in color...which just happens to be the color of the player names below the player pictures...hence the names do not show when starting the addin from the drop-down box. So, that mystery is cleared up.

As for the problem you reported, Wrathchild:
You are quite right, there is something being "cut-off" on that screen-shot. Again, this is also related to starting an addin from the drop-down box. In order to compensate for this, I usually always add an extra line-feed at the end of all of my addins so that they show correctly when started from the drop-down box. Obviously, I neglected to check this addin when started from the drop-down box. Both problems are easily fixable and will be fixed in next update.

CrashDavis
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I've been getting a 'Add-In Error: No current record.' for this. Does anyone know what that means?
CrashDavis

Post by CrashDavis »

Wrathchild,
If you are still getting the error check this for me:
check the rotation and lineup for both teams you clicked on to preview. Is either missing a player from lineup/rotation due to being placed on the DL very recently?

Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I didn't get the error on the day after it most recently happened, even against the same team. I imagine it's possible that someone just came off the disabled list for the other team, but I can't be sure. If it happens again I'll look to see if there are missing players.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Crash,

I just had the error occur again. This was the second day of a two game series, and both teams have full rosters with no injured players on the DL. I forgot to check the first day so I don't know if it was happening then, as well.

Jeff
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I just noticed something, Crash. Could this error be caused by a team using a 4 man pitching rotation? It's happening again each day in a series of games against a team with only 4 starters.
CrashDavis

Post by CrashDavis »

Could this error be caused by a team using a 4 man pitching rotation?
Depends. If both teams are using a 4 man rotation, then it should be fine. The rule of thumb is this: whatever rotation one team is using, is what the other team should be using, otherwise addin will crash.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

That explains it then. I'm always using a 5 man rotation and some of my opponents are using 4 man rotations. Is there a way that this can be fixed to not crash in this situation?
CrashDavis

Post by CrashDavis »

A little late but...
I am working on this too.

Steven 'Crash Davis' Lucey
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I know that I still appreciate the work you do! I use your stuff all of the time.
CrashDavis

Post by CrashDavis »

PSPN Baseball Preview updated.
Fixed 'No Current Record' error caused by one team having a 5 man rotation vs another team using a 4 man rotation.

CrashDavis Addons
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Thanks for the quick fix!

Return to “3rd Party Add-ons Area”