Making history - Gold edition released

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

EagleMountainDK

Making history - Gold edition released

Post by EagleMountainDK »

Hi,

Just a heads up.... Making History Gold has been released. Its download only for now but hard copy will come. Its priced $20 and there is a demo.

http://www.making-history.com/home.php

Cheers
Mark
Greybriar

RE: Making history - Gold edition released

Post by Greybriar »

Just my luck! I ordered Making History: The Calm & The Storm only yesterday for $19.99!
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

I can get my copy for 14.99, because I was one of the suckers that bought that game when it first came out.

For those of you not familiar with this title, it looks like a WW2 grasnd strategy game, but it is not. It is about leading a country during the time frame of 1936 to '46. It has nothing to do with WW2. Alliances are crazy, wars start anytime, everywhere, the AI is absolutely bonkers, and the combat is qute a bit like Risk. On the positive side, the economic engine is really impressive (why I was convinced to get it), and the UI is very nice.

In May they had a big patch release. I tried to play the thing again (after months of not even looking at it), it was the same crap; war breaking out in '37, crazy alliances/enemies.
There are different start dates which can reduce some of the obsurdities of this game. Too bad that the best part of the game (economics) then becomes academic.

There is another plus to it-it will make you laugh out loud-really. The "ai" can be really entertaining-if you were not expecting a WW2 game.

They should fix their tin edition before releasing a gold edition. THey say it is about "making history"-hog wash. It is too far from realistic scenarios to be of much use for anything serious. It's a kidy game.
20 bucks for a game sounds like a good deal, but in this case, it is doubtfull.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

EagleMountainDK

I'm not sure I agree with you 06 Maestro, the game is called making history and therefore you can make your own history.

Don't get me wrong, I like games that is historical correct, but I also like games giving me total freedom. I really liked EU3 since all the historical correct dates was gone, i.e. 10 may 1610 in every game something specific would happen. The history buffs hated it. My guess is that the same is with MHG... People wanting 100% correct WWII will have to look else where.

So why not think of it as a game where WWII could be different than what truly happened? What if Hitler didn't attack the Russians or USA didn't helped UK?

I plan to buy it since its a fresh look at our history and not something that will never be perfect since the game dosn't follow the 100% correct WWII time line.

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Cougar_DK

I'm not sure I agree with you 06 Maestro, the game is called making history and therefore you can make your own history.

That is the company line. However, the things that normally occur in that game are not part of a normal list of strategic options for WW2-it is out there-way out there.

It is only 20 bucks, so go ahead and try it-some actually like it. But if you expect anything remotely resembling historic events-forget about it.

BTW, I also have EU3, and ike it. It is not my fav, but play now and then.

Thomas Jefferson

Grell

Post by Grell »

This game doesn't interest me in the least.

Regards,

Greg
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I've always been rather tempted to pick this up. It always appealed to me...history is for books. I want to make a difference in my games. Ok, I can understand why people want historically accurate games. Sometimes it is nice...on the other hand, it's also nice to have surprises sprung on you because you weren't expecting it.
Alba gu' brath
EagleMountainDK

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I've always been rather tempted to pick this up. It always appealed to me...history is for books. I want to make a difference in my games. Ok, I can understand why people want historically accurate games. Sometimes it is nice...on the other hand, it's also nice to have surprises sprung on you because you weren't expecting it.

Right my words JD, I will order it and have some good time with it. Maybe I can ally with the Russians even though I play Germany [:D]

$15 is rather cheap for a game these days.
Terl

Post by Terl »

Thanks for pointing this one out, Cougar_DK.  It looks like a nice little game.  I looked at it before but the price is better now.  I like that it can get a little ahistorical as well.  Keeps it fun.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Terl

Thanks for pointing this one out, Cougar_DK.  It looks like a nice little game.  I looked at it before but the price is better now.  I like that it can get a little ahistorical as well.  Keeps it fun.

If you like "ahistorical", you will have a blast. The price is not bad either.
As I mentioned above, the UI is good, and the economics, reserch, and trade are about the best you can get in a strategic game. The map is zoomable, dragable, and scrolable (new words?).

I just wanted to put out a warning about what the game is really about-many that purchased it were not happily surprised.

Thomas Jefferson

Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

If you like "ahistorical", you will have a blast. The price is not bad either.
As I mentioned above, the UI is good, and the economics, reserch, and trade are about the best you can get in a strategic game. The map is zoomable, dragable, and scrolable (new words?).

I just wanted to put out a warning about what the game is really about-many that purchased it were not happily surprised.

Excellent. You just moved this one to a "buy" for me. I like the economic, research and trade parts and have heard it is done well and you confirmed so as well. I have other games that will get me the historical part, sometimes you just gotta let go and have some fun [:)] and leave reality behind.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I have the un-gold version. [;)] It works great for me because I am ignorant to most of history. I didn't know the game was so bad historically until 06-Maestro informed me by email. I was shocked to find that out. I had been playing it and recommended it to him. My fault. [&o]

One of my favorite features is the Notebook where you can add your own notes and as many as you like. Ctrl+L and voila, Notebook. [X(]

I suppose my biggest gripe would be a lack of personality. The game is just bland, but it works good.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

It should be noted that included in the gold edition are scenarios that follow a more historical path.....
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

It should be noted that included in the gold edition are scenarios that follow a more historical path.....

Good point. I went ahead and bought the download and started on the 1933 Blitzkrieg scenario. Will see how it goes... [8|]
Terl

Post by Terl »

Downloading now....
EagleMountainDK

Waging war in this game seems like the easy part.... Controlling your country is sure a big task (for me). I really have to get my head around all the different options. Oh well, off to bed.
Terl

Post by Terl »

Now I need to convince the wife I still need to get WW2: Road to Victory..... hmmmm [;)]
panzers

Post by panzers »

I have to agreee with maestro. Ig you are going to have a game that is so outlandish as to even call it a WWII game, then you better damn well make it so at least there are some more histirical events that just the ine where Austria cedes territory to Germany.. They didn't even include the Sudentenland in the game, I was sickened by the fact that Russia decared war an The Commonwealth, The Americans declared war on the Japaneese and Italy decared war on Russia, while Germany and France just sat there and watched the massive naval battles in the North Sea, English Channel, and the Baltic sea because they never even declared war on anyone. This was 1939. I never in any game of any type saw so many tons of ships in one area at the same time. Almost the entire Japaneese and English navies were in the north sea and the Americans had most of their with the Russians, of course, in the Baltic with the Italians and Americans. That's when I decided enough was enough. There hjas to be some semblence of reality for it to be anywhere near where you could call it WWII. It might as well be the diplomacy game on AT. Also, late in the game it is severely bugged, so BEWARE!
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I really strongly disagree with this view that is a game calls itself WWII, then it needs to mimic WWII.

I would agree that perhaps they could make it clearer that it's not a historical simulation...but to take away the WWII tag because it "does not play out" historically is just ridiculous.

It has WWII units and it's the WWII time period. It's absolutely fine to call it a WWII game. By all means, tell people it's not historical or ahistorical or whatever you want, to stop the die hards crying...but for gods sake...let it be a WWII game.
Alba gu' brath
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Now I need to convince the wife I still need to get WW2: Road to Victory..... hmmmm [;)]

You could wait until the first patch comes out and that would give you a couple weeks to come up with something... [;)]

Return to “General Discussion”