Another HQ question, exp. and readiness.

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Joshuatree

Another HQ question, exp. and readiness.

Post by Joshuatree »

I did a search on this topic, but couldn't find anything related.

Here goes, I want to give a local HQ, say in France, some reserves. Now if I transfer tanks and inf units into it, the experience of that HQ goes down the drain, but it has the advantage that the subordinate unit it then gets reinforced doesn't loose much readiness. If, on the other hand, I keep the reserves in the general HQ, or OKW, then the local HQ doesn't loose experience, but the unit the reinforcements then gets looses much of its readiness.
So, either you loose exp. or you loose readiness...

My idea now is to make a "reserve unit", with no staff, but with some trains, horses for transport capacity, and is subordinate to the local HQ. This unit then gets the reinforcements for the expected counter attack. This way you'll loose no HQ experience, or unit readiness.
Hmm, anyone else tried this before? Or am I completely wrong here?
Manus von Olie

RE: Another HQ question, exp. and readiness.

Post by Manus von Olie »

Hi Josh,
I don't completely understand your idea, but I think the bottom line is that units without staff back up won't perform well at all. Best to have 100% staff support,  both by the proximity of the HQ (max three hexes away) as well as the amount of staff. What's wrong with directing production to the HQ you want to reinforce? That way you won't loose staff experience too much.

Two more tips: if, in a scenario, I have very high staff experience in a HQ, I just leave that HQ and rather build up a new one to train lots of new troops, in that way preserving the elite character, which is very helpful in conquering key points, like a stosstruppen unit. The other thing is to 'drop'-reinforce (from 'dripping' and not 'letting fall' in this case) an unit by another HQ's troops: like if you have two light tanks at 100% readiness in a certain unit you can send one light tank from another HQ to that unit, and next turn all 3 tanks would have regained 100% readiness again.

regards,
Herman.
He! Ho! Let's go! (The Ramones)
zook08

Post by zook08 »

I think what he means is a second HQ for storing reserves only. It has to be an HQ counter or it couldn't have transport capacity and quickly send troops to the frontline. But no other counters  would be subordinate to it. The question is, wouldn't strategic transfer (something I've never used before) cost the same in terms of transport capacity, but be cheaper in PP (no extra HQ counter) and no loss in readiness?
Manus von Olie

Post by Manus von Olie »

Well, Strategic Transfer does cost the same as transfer in terms of land and seacap, but the loss in readiness with ST is 50% for the units being transferred.

Storing reserves by itself, without staff, is not a wise idea: to make those units effective at a crucial point of time you then would have to change HQ with them and that alone cost them 75% readiness.

Imho there's nothing wrong with a very mobile (ie wheeled/tracked) centrally positioned reserve HQ, with 100% staff included for all units inside: move the whole rack into position when the time is one turn before your strike, transfer the guys out into position with landcap and the next turn they're ready to go, with 100% staff support and 100% HQ power (if the HQ is within three hexes at the moment of combat). Those two factors should really not be neglected as mere statistics, often they decide whether you win or loose any given combat situation.

Hopefully I'll find the time soon to write something about this and other equally interesting subjects on the website, so you all can verify with the included examples for replay.
He! Ho! Let's go! (The Ramones)

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”