night naval attack

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

RGIJN

night naval attack

Post by RGIJN »

Hi,

though widely used by the japanese historically, I´ve NEVER managed to have medium bombers make a night naval (torpedo) attack. [&o]
Have read in the forum you need to set at least two squads to achieve this (one for port attack that is tracing the targets too, and one for naval attack to slam shut). But whatever setting I am trying, it seems there is no way to get any results. Of course I understand these kinda attacks are rather seldom and ruled by dice rolls but I´d like to have them working at all! [:@]

Thanks for any help in this matter,
Ralf
RGIJN

RE: night naval attack

Post by RGIJN »

just another try... no one out here with some nice helpful hints regarding night naval attacks?

Thanks alot in advance!

Ralf
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

What aircraft type are these units using? It may be limited to units flying the naval bombers G3M and G4M.
How high is the experience of these units?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
RGIJN

Post by RGIJN »

The a/c squads I´ve intended to utilize for would be indeed G3M Nells and G4M Betties. I understand that they´ll need some good skill for that kind of mission, so I´d deploy units with experience ratings of at least 75. But the question is: how to get it work? I´ve NEVER any seen any Daitai execute such an attack.

Any suggestions?
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

75 experience is probably too low. You may need 80+ or even 90+ experience for those attacks.
With 75 experience you may even have problems to get those units into a night attack against bases. (will not always start or with reduced numbers).
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
RGIJN

Post by RGIJN »

Oh, they WILL take off for ANY OTHER night missions (port or airfield attack), even with exp in the 60s range... but they seem to hesitate to slam onto vessels in the moonshine at all...[&o]
ILCK

Post by ILCK »

ORIGINAL: RGIJN

Oh, they WILL take off for ANY OTHER night missions (port or airfield attack), even with exp in the 60s range... but they seem to hesitate to slam onto vessels in the moonshine at all...[&o]

If they are "in the moonshine" that might be the biggest problem they are having :)
RGIJN

Post by RGIJN »

ORIGINAL: ILCK

If they are "in the moonshine" that might be the biggest problem they are having :)

it was meant rather figuratively... They just don´t want attack ships at night! What am I´m doing wrong???
RGIJN

Post by RGIJN »

Since this forum has gotten some fresh blood recently, I just wanted to bring this topic up once more. Maybe there is somebody out there who can help. Am curious if anyone has ever seen such an attack at all?? [&:]

Since I have now three PBEM running, I´d really like to use this kind of raid. At least it´s written into this game! (though in my game against Ken I hardly have any experienced LB squadrons left over...[:(])

Thanks for any helpful advice!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

The problem is in the Detection Level. For TFs, the DL is set to 0 at the start of each Night and Day resolution phase. For a base it is reduced by 1 at the start. That means that you can not 'see' a TF. One way is to have a sub in the hex and aircraft on night Naval Attack. If it detects the TF than your night bombers may launch. Note, that there is a MDL also and if a TF stays in one spot for a few turns and you are constantly spotting it, you may get some plane to launch, but I have seen it very rarely - maybe two times since I started playing UV.
RGIJN

Post by RGIJN »

At least my valued opponent shed some light upon this matter... Thank you Ken! [8D]

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”