WitP on MAC

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

treespider

WitP on MAC

Post by treespider »

Within the last few days I decided to make the move to an iMAC after my windows system crashed and/or was eaten for the third time this year.

I have a few questions...

1. Does anyone here play WitP on a MAC?

2 . Do you use bootcamp to run the Windows OS?

3. How vulnerable is the PC to viruses if Windows is installed in a separate partition?

4. If I use the MAC OS for all of my e-mail and internet transactions how can I move a PBEM file to the Windows partition for use in WitP?

Sorry for my ignorance but I zero experience with a MAC.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
jwilkerson

RE: WitP on MAC

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: treespider

Within the last few days I decided to make the move to an iMAC after my windows system crashed and/or was eaten for the third time this year.

3. How vulnerable is the PC to viruses if Windows is installed in a separate partition?

4. If I use the MAC OS for all of my e-mail and internet transactions how can I move a PBEM file to the Windows partition for use in WitP?

Hey tree,

Sounds like most of these questions would prolly get answered faster on a Mac Users web site than on a WITP web site. To run WITP, you will need a Windows OS emulator, I know they exist, but I haven't seriously messed around with Macs in over 7 years.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Hey tree,

Sounds like most of these questions would prolly get answered faster on a Mac Users web site than on a WITP web site. To run WITP, you will need a Windows OS emulator, I know they exist, but I haven't seriously messed around with Macs in over 7 years.

Most likely. Before I went there I figured I would check with the WitP community for their experiences.

I do know Mac offers a program called "bootcamp" that "simplifies" partitioning the HD and installing Windows XP SP2 or Vista. Upon system startup you choose which OS to enter. Which all sounds simple enough except my questions would deal more with how to access PBEM files if I receive them in the Mac OS vs Windows. If I can't access them directly on the HD perhaps I think I figured out a work around by saving the file to disk then rebooting and accessing the disk through the other OS.

In any event send me an e-mail if you'd like me to run some tests of AE on the MAC. I will probably run "bootcamp" at some point this weekend and test "WitP".
Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I don't have a Mac so I didn't pay close attention, but I could swear there were some answers to those questions posted in one or more threads here over the past few months... Maybe try a search.
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

My niece's husband works for Microsoft, but he does have a Mac among his collection of computers.  He said that he runs Vista on it probably 90% of the time, with no problems.  You'd have to get a copy of Windows, but it should run just fine on any of the Intel based Macs.

-- Mark Sieving
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Some folks have reported running WITP on Macs - i THINK they used Bootcamp.

When running under Bootcamp, your computer is as vulnerable to viruses, etc. as when you are running under WINDOWS (from what i have read.)

i also remember some people set up a separate partition to "swap" stuff back and forth between different OS partitions, but i don't know if you would need to do that under Bootcamp or not.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

If your file comes by email on the Mac side, simply put it on a flash drive, switch to the PC side and transfer it to the save folder.
Created by the amazing Dixie
treespider

Post by treespider »

Thanks guys. As I suspected. Now I just need to figure out what will happen when the inevitable virus shows up...will it kill the Mac OS partition as well??

Off to find a MAC forum...
Here's a link to:

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Thanks guys. As I suspected. Now I just need to figure out what will happen when the inevitable virus shows up...will it kill the Mac OS partition as well??

Depends what the virus is designed to do...

EDIT: i am guessing a really malicious virus could screw up anything on your hard drives as long as they are connected to your computer, no matter where they sit (i.e - no matter which partition.)
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

EDIT: i am guessing a really malicious virus could screw up anything on your hard drives as long as they are connected to your computer, no matter where they sit (i.e - no matter which partition.)

I think I might try and reformat the old box and set it up in a virus free environment - ie no Internet connection. ..unless someone has figured out how to transmit a virus through the power lines...
Here's a link to:

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

I think I might try and reformat the old box and set it up in a virus free environment - ie no Internet connection. ..unless someone has figured out how to transmit a virus through the power lines...
Might be a good idea... just put WITP on it, and it will probably run better than on a "normal" machine... it seems everything interacts through WINDOWS in weird ways. i think this is why some people experience some bugs while other people never see them at all (different WINDOWS environment).
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

If you aren't connected to the internet, there isn't much a virus can do. If you are connected to the internet, follow 3 simple rules and your chances of getting a virus are dramatically diminished:

1) Use a router between you and the internet, this acts as a firewall and to someone probing and trying to get in, it looks like nothing is there unless they are real pros, and the pros are hacking much more valuable targets than you.

2) Don't use Microsoft's internet products. Mozilla makes good browsers and e-mail programs and are not as vulnerable as IE and Outlook/Outlook Express.

3) Don't open attachments or click on strange links in e-mails.

We run, I think 7 computers here all running Windows. We don't have any virus protection memory resident on any of them most of the time (though we do run scans manually a few times a month). We never have virus problems. The worst problems are the occassional tracking cookie.

I've been on tech support with the cable company and they have said it looks like we have a cable modem connected to nothing on the other side when they try to probe our address. I've also run those firewall security checks on the net.

I hear so many horror stories, I'm a bit paranoid about something slipping under the radar, but nearly 10 years on broadband and nothing has gotten through. I keep checking because there is always a first time.

If you don't install the network drivers, disable them in Windows, or physically unplug the cable, you will be completely isolated from the internet and at zero risk for a virus unless somebody gives you a dodgy disk and I haven't heard of any disk trasmitted viruses cropping up in over 10 years.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

If you aren't connected to the internet, there isn't much a virus can do. If you are connected to the internet, follow 3 simple rules and your chances of getting a virus are dramatically diminished:

1) Use a router between you and the internet, this acts as a firewall and to someone probing and trying to get in, it looks like nothing is there unless they are real pros, and the pros are hacking much more valuable targets than you.

2) Don't use Microsoft's internet products. Mozilla makes good browsers and e-mail programs and are not as vulnerable as IE and Outlook/Outlook Express.

3) Don't open attachments or click on strange links in e-mails.

We run, I think 7 computers here all running Windows. We don't have any virus protection memory resident on any of them most of the time (though we do run scans manually a few times a month). We never have virus problems. The worst problems are the occassional tracking cookie.

I've been on tech support with the cable company and they have said it looks like we have a cable modem connected to nothing on the other side when they try to probe our address. I've also run those firewall security checks on the net.

I hear so many horror stories, I'm a bit paranoid about something slipping under the radar, but nearly 10 years on broadband and nothing has gotten through. I keep checking because there is always a first time.

If you don't install the network drivers, disable them in Windows, or physically unplug the cable, you will be completely isolated from the internet and at zero risk for a virus unless somebody gives you a dodgy disk and I haven't heard of any disk trasmitted viruses cropping up in over 10 years.

Bill

I believe I was a victim of #2. I run my system through a router behind a cable modem. I never click on unknown attachments or download files from unknown sources. And I had virus protection software and a firewall.

Now with all that being said I may have fallen victim to the dreaded 12 y.o. playing with Dad's computer while he is at work virus...but I'm not positive about that as the system appeared to be in the same state when I returned from work the day it crashed.

Nevertheless I went ahead and got the iMac which is what I'm typing on at the moment. I am still debating the merits of setting up the separate Windows partition which would necessitate investing in a new edition of Windows XP SP2 or Vista or using the old box. Problem with using the old box is that it would just take up additional desk space and would require a day to reinstall old drivers etc... c'est la vie.

I think I will opt to install windows in the separate partition and disconnect my cable when installing and then also when I bootup. Until I can figure out disabling the Windows Network drivers as you suggested.
Here's a link to:

Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I don't have a Mac so I didn't pay close attention, but I could swear there were some answers to those questions posted in one or more threads here over the past few months... Maybe try a search.

Check this thread Operating Systems in the AE Expansion discussion folder.

Edit:
see my signature block below..... [:(]
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

treespider - I have an aluminum iMac at my office, and have Windows xp running both via bootcamp and using vmware fusion.

I can run anything with bootcamp.  When you boot into windows, it literally is a windows pc.

With VMWare, it's hit-or-miss for games.  I would bet Witp will be fine though.  The games that are a problem are ones that are graphically intensive.  To give you an idea, here's what I've installed, with ratings running them in a virtual machine:

Conquest of the Aegean:  A+  works perfectly
AGeod's American Civil War:  B+  a bit slow and some wonky graphic glitches
Fritz 10/Playchess:  A+  Works perfectly
Unreal Tournament:  F  forget it
Bioshock demo:  F  won't start
FIFA Manager 2008: F  no graphics show
Oblivion:  F won't run
treespider

Post by treespider »

Update -

I used Bootcamp with Windows Vista and WitP runs better than I ever remember.

Now I just need someone to tell me how to isolate Windows from the Net So I don't have to unplug my cable every time I boot in Windows.
Here's a link to:

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

Hello,

Actually I own a Mac and playing WITP (and many others Matrix Games).

There are 2 choices:

- Install Windows XP SP2 or Vista in a separate partition using for that the BootCamp application (it is a free application provided for Apple for MAC OS X 10.4 Tiger and already included in the newest 10.5 Leopard.
- Use a third party application for installing a Windows Virtual Machine. This is my preferred choice, since I don't need to switch between MAC OS X and Windows. Windows VM runs smoothly and even faster than installed in a partition. I use Parallel Desktop software for managing the VM. Another good application is VMWare Fusion, but at the moment it lacks 3D support.

Of course you need an Intel Mac. Mine is a MacBook, with 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM and 80 GB hard disk.

Now supported games for my configuration:
- Korsun Pocket (and Across the Dnepr expansion). Works fine.
- Battles in Italy. Works fine.
- Harpoon III ANW. Works fine.
- Flashpoint Germany. Works fine.
- Crown of Glory. Works fine.
- Highway to the Reich. Works fine.
- Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm. I cannot play since the video requirements are not matched for my MacBook (it only has 64 MB of shared memory). It works fine with an iMac or MacBook Pro.
- War in the Pacific. Works fine.

All those games are updated up to the latest version. Even for WITP I'm currently playing a PBEM game against Rybeck, using the CHS 2.08 modpack.

So, if it has answered your question, don't be afraid to play Matrix Games in a Mac.

Emilio.
Emilio
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

Turning off network. Right-click on "My Network Places," either in the Start Menu or on your desktop (if you have the shortcut there) and hit "Properties." Figure out which icon matches your network adaptor (should be Local Area Network 1) and right-click again. Select "Disabled". You are now isolated from the network.

Incidentally, that's the preferred method whenever you want to disconnect from the network.
Emilio

Post by Emilio »

I use Parallels Desktop, a Virtual Machine application.

It allows to disable some elements as:
- Network.
- CD.
- Floppy.
- USB.
- and some others.

For performance (and security) I have disable network and floppy.
Emilio
herwin

Post by herwin »

I play WiTP on a MacBook Pro, using Bootcamp. I have Parallels installed but it isn't working. I use MS OneCare on the Windows partition. Transfers are trivial as the Windows disk mounts when Mac OS is running.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”