Important Supply Chain Restriction

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Monadman

Important Supply Chain Restriction

Post by Monadman »

For those of you thinking of invading your neighbors, keep this important supply chain restriction in mind at the beginning of each Land Phase during your invasion. There was some very important text (in bold – see below) omitted from the printed and pdf manuals, but will be added to the next in-game manual update and also added as an official addendum to the former two.

CHANGE
Section: 10.3.3 Depots In Supply Chains
Subsection: Supply Chain Restrictions
Changed the second line (second bullet) to read:

For a major power to place a new depot outside of it’s own territory, an unbesieged corps of that major power must be in that area and not have moved or foraged during the current land phase.

For those of you who ask: why? Because it was designed for the old EiA-like game and is considered as a way for the program to simulate the original EiA step format that required that depots be placed before movement and supply.

Richard
kc_chiefs

RE: Important Supply Chain Restriction

Post by kc_chiefs »

Thanks MUCH for this important note. Manuals are notoriously lacking in data that gamers need. Especially computer ones! [:D]
Bill Peters
John Neal

Post by John Neal »

Noob question: I have depot in Toulon, Genoa is Allied, corps has not moved or foraged in the city of Genoa, but says i can't place depot in city of Genoa, 2 areas from Toulon? (in the Land phase)

Toulon is blockaded, but it shouldn't matter, as it is in France proper?

http://members.cox.net/jcneal/Cletus.sav.zip
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: John Neal

Noob question: I have depot in Toulon, Genoa is Allied, corps has not moved or foraged in the city of Genoa, but says i can't place depot in city of Genoa, 2 areas from Toulon? (in the Land phase)

Toulon is blockaded, but it shouldn't matter, as it is in France proper?

http://members.cox.net/jcneal/Cletus.sav.zip

John,

Give another read thru of section 6.1. You’ll find this section explains it.

6.1.1 Neutral Minor Countries
Neutral minor countries are non-aligned, and will allow any Major Power to pass through or trace supply through their territory. Major Powers may not place supply depots or garrisons in a Neutral minor country.

Richard
John Neal

Post by John Neal »

ORIGINAL: Monadman
6.1.1 Neutral Minor Countries
Neutral minor countries are non-aligned, and will allow any Major Power to pass through or trace supply through their territory. Major Powers may not place supply depots or garrisons in a Neutral minor country.

thanks, i re-read whole section & this answers my question.
Nick1981

Post by Nick1981 »

That why a lot of player declare war to minor contry in the line of a DOW's with a major to asure the supply line and depot.
What???.....i only accept unconditionnal!....Spain will follow.....;)
Nick1981

Post by Nick1981 »

a question for that ( i'm a french maternal speaker) for foraging do you mean that whit a corps( or stack)  i'm obliged to pay for it supplyment from a depot if i want to create a new depot and cannot feed in the country with the dice roll of it.
frayaka

Post by frayaka »

wanna try in french, i m not sure i understand your question
depot creation 1 $
either you roll for forage, or you pay for supply

I have a problem creating a depot under a corp.
Supply source in Breslau
Depot 1 in Krakow
Depot 2 in Lublin
Depot 3 in Brest Litovsk
Depot 4 in Grodno
i have a corp NE of Minsk but i can't create a depot there..
Area 265 is not in a valid supply chain
I ve build a depot in Vilna , destroyed the one in Grodno
BUT Area 265 is not in a valid supply chain, although there's a corp there that has't moved.

If i hit the autoforage button, will the units that will forage use their remaining movement points for foraging? Because i'm trying to besiege 2 cities and after my land phase there's no combat phase ?

Another can you sort the informations in the events window ??
it could be useful to have a few filters (like diplo DoW, forage..)

Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: frayaka
I have a problem creating a depot under a corp.
Supply source in Breslau
Depot 1 in Krakow
Depot 2 in Lublin
Depot 3 in Brest Litovsk
Depot 4 in Grodno
i have a corp NE of Minsk but i can't create a depot there..
Area 265 is not in a valid supply chain
I ve build a depot in Vilna , destroyed the one in Grodno
BUT Area 265 is not in a valid supply chain, although there's a corp there that has't moved.

Area 265 is three areas away from Minsk (so that won’t work) and the depot you built in Vilna would not qualify as “already existing (before this turn)” (see section 10.3.3).

If i hit the autoforage button, will the units that will forage use their remaining movement points for foraging? Because i'm trying to besiege 2 cities and after my land phase there's no combat phase ?

Yes. You should always use the manual forage button if you will be making a siege assault attempt.

Richard
Murat

Post by Murat »

ORIGINAL: Nick1981

a question for that ( i'm a french maternal speaker) for foraging do you mean that whit a corps( or stack)  i'm obliged to pay for it supplyment from a depot if i want to create a new depot and cannot feed in the country with the dice roll of it.

Mon Français est pauvre mais je pense que vous voulez savoir si vous devez payer l'approvisionnement ou pouvez vous forager. L'approvisionnement de dépôt n'est pas exigé mais si vous ne payez pas, vous devez forager. Merci a babelfish ici: http://world.altavista.com.

C'est moi ici:
J'etudie francais por une anne dans l'universite et comprende plus de parle.
frayaka

Post by frayaka »

Thanks Monadman!

About the auto foraging thing, i'm 3 hexes away from a depot so i may be supplied if i pay..
I wanna pay.. but at the end .. i'm on autoforaging and can't attack, the only way i found to bypass is foraging ( at heavy cost..)
How can i avoid this ?

(je suis français donc si je peux aider à traduire, ça sera volontiers)
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

Thanks Monadman!

About the auto foraging thing, i'm 3 hexes away from a depot so i may be supplied if i pay..
I wanna pay.. but at the end .. i'm on autoforaging and can't attack, the only way i found to bypass is foraging ( at heavy cost..)
How can i avoid this ?

(je suis français donc si je peux aider à traduire, ça sera volontiers)

Just click the “end current phase” button and any corps that can be supplied will be supplied. If they are outside of the supply range then the program will warn you to forage. If you choose to ignore that warning and advance the game, the program will forage for you using the unused movement allowance and you will not be able make a siege assault attempt.

Richard
frayaka

Post by frayaka »

I knew that Richard.. but a few turns ago, i ve hit the auto forage for elidgible units, and since some units have kept that option when i look at their supply info (ie Auto Forage / Minsk depot 3.0$)
Is there a limit on the number of units you can supply with a depot ? or some bug with that button?

Regards
Fabrice
Nick1981

Post by Nick1981 »

Ok Frayaka, je sais pas pour le jeu sur Pc mais quand je jouait au jeu de table, on peut nourrir maximun 4 corps a partir d'un dépot sinon on est obliger de se nourrir a partir d'un autre dépot ou ligne de dépot d'une autre ville.  apres avoir nourit tes corps d'armé ceux qui ne le peuvent pas se nourisse sur le terrain avec le facteur de forage ou avec le malus de -2 si c'est l'hiver(exepter en affrique du Nord, Siriya et en bas, il n'y a pas d'hiver) avec le facteur de forage du terrain le plus pauvre  sur lequel tu es passer avec ton ou tes corps d'armés durant ta phase de mouvement et avant tes combats en excluant celui (le territoire) dont tu es partit.

Pour ton histoire de dépot a Minsk je comprend pas trop alors je laisse les "pro" te répondre la dessus, la seul chose que je peut te dire cé que si l'ordi considere ta ligne non viable et qu'il te fait payer 3$ pour un corps pour le nourrir c'est surement parce qu'il le fournit a partir d'un dépot viable qui est a trois case et qui n'a pas nourrit déja le maximun de 4 corps d'armée comparative,ent peut etre a d'autre de tes dépots.
frayaka

Post by frayaka »

Le problème c'est que même s'il y a marqué 3$ il fait forage auto, et du coup je ne peux pas attaquer la ville.
Ca me refait la même chose sur S Pomerania, alors que j'ai un dépot à 1 case et qu'aucune autre unité n'utilise. Obligé de faire un forage manuel pour me sortir de là..
Comme si le fait d'être en forage auto dure plusieurs tours
frayaka

Post by frayaka »

New case :
Depot in Munich
Napoleon and 6 corps are waiting in Linz just beside that depot.
One month later, Linz is not in valid chain supply ???

And still, once corps have that Forage auto message, they can't besiege cities ... even if within a valid supply chain
frayaka

Post by frayaka »

Ok i have move troops towards into the city .. my bad :)
DodgyDave

Post by DodgyDave »

about those depots, i as france, seem able to put reinforcements into corps around a depot in hanover, but i dont have a link too it, because nearest depot is in amsterdam 3 area´s away, unless that have been changed, so you can trace a link that far and even then, its blocaded, so not sure how it would be able to get the reinforcements anyway.
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: DodgyDave

about those depots, i as france, seem able to put reinforcements into corps around a depot in hanover, but i dont have a link too it, because nearest depot is in amsterdam 3 area´s away, unless that have been changed, so you can trace a link that far and even then, its blocaded, so not sure how it would be able to get the reinforcements anyway.

If you control Hanover then the depot there is the supply source and you do not need a supply chain from elsewhere (see section 7.2.2, subsection Adding Factors to Corps in Supply)

Richard
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

And still, once corps have that Forage auto message, they can't besiege cities ... even if within a valid supply chain

If a corps has an auto forage status (see status panel) then it is in the rural area, try using the “move unit into and out of city” button to setup the siege assault attempt. You’ll notice that when you do this, the program will change the supply status of the besieging unit and it can no longer be auto foraged. You can now safely use the auto forage button and then click the “end current phase” button and any corps that can be supplied will pay the cost to be supplied.

Now, if you are attacking the enemy in a city area (i.e. rural area) and afterwards you wish to attempt a siege assault on the city (if victorious), you must do some micromanagement to get what you want. Those units in rural areas that will NOT be attempting a siege assault AND also can auto forage MUST now be manually foraged. Afterwards, just click the “end current phase” button and any corps that can be supplied will pay the cost to be supplied.

Note: The auto forage button was added for convenience; when a player wished to expedite supply checks.

Richard

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”