COW to TOAW3, Strange

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

DeadInThrench

COW to TOAW3, Strange

Post by DeadInThrench »

I just DLed a COW scenario from Rugged Defense, the Frist Punic War, and in the zip file there is a file that LOOKS like it is the scenario file (the other is the doc) but it does not end with .sce and the editor would not see it. So, I added the .sce to the file and, well, the editor sez it is invalid.

Looked at the Wargamer Games Depot and the zip file from there had a different name but the same files.

So, anyone know anything about this, and know any way this scenario can be played in TOAW3??

Thanks,

DiT

P.S. Yeah, was looking for a simple scenario that was smaller number of units over longer period of time... and had some PO.
JAMiAM

RE: COW to TOAW3, Strange

Post by JAMiAM »

For CoW, using the Bio-Ed resulted in a modified executable file that was used instead of the Opart executable. That is probably what you ended up downloading.
DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

Hmmmm... Opart 3.exe is around 9 Meg in size, while this file is just 95K. Added .exe to the filename and it tried to run in DOS but would say the file is too big. Opened it up in a hex editor and it sez... TOA scenario... <scenario name>... opart 100.

opart 100 sounds like a TOAW 1 scenario but I am not sure.

If it is, any way I can convert it to TOAW3... given I only have TOAW3 not any previous version?

Thanks,

DiT

P.S. The scenario was listed as COW on both RD and GD, but apparently it is not COW.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I think it has to be saved up the line from T2 to COW to T3, but I'm not sure. I posted the same request 10 days ago but got no response. So I guess that no one that has T2 and COW has checked in here recently.
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

They're for COW100 version. I had no problems opening them OPART CW.exe editor, re-saved them and then opened them in TOAW 3. Most times this works.

Here you have them converted for use in TOAW 3:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PVFFV660
Greetings from Spain.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

You must have the magical version of COW. I ran OPART CW.exe and opened the editor, but it still wouldn't load any of them. It's encouraging to know that somebody can do it!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

But I did get 1st Punic to open, here it is in a zip.
Attachments
1stPunicWar2.0.zip
(28.4 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

Nothing special, ACOW patched to 1.04.01 [:'(].
Greetings from Spain.
DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

Guys, thanks to you two, I managed to get this 'beer and pretzel' scenario up and running!

Uh, if you are so inclined, the author did two others along these lines, the 2nd Punic War and one called The Restoration of Rome. The author makes no calms about the TOAW engine not really being designed for this period, but given that and the small number of units combined with the length of the scenarios (100 turns or so), make them interesting beer and pretzel games, IMO.

So, if you want to update these so they will run in TOAW3 and upload them with the doc to Games Depot and/or Rugged Defense, well, you can add your name to the credits <g>. Yeah, zip is preferred though I have an 'unrarer' on this computer here someplace.

DiT

P.S. Thanks again for the update!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

JapLance, I got 1.04.01 also. Could you try this one to see if you can get it?
Attachments
Spain1.2.zip
(27.99 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
desert

Post by desert »

1st and 2nd Punic didnt work for me, but Restoration and pretty much anything from TOAW I to COW works instantly for me.
"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Curse the Fates !!!
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

Thanks for the conversion of the Punic War scenarios

The author in question is Brian Topp who has some interesting scenarios out there.

About The Restoration Of Rome -I quote:
...basically a chess puzzle - an "alternative history" scenario simulating (as close as I can get TOAW to do it) a fascinating period in the history of the Roman Empire (teleported through a flaw in the space/time continuum to roughly 1934 in TOAW).
The TOAW Redux Dude
DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

Hmmm... yeah... guess I never looked at the zip for Restoration of Rome. The scenario file in there actually ends with .sce and works fine.

So, guess the only one of these three that I don't got working is 2nd Punic War.

Looking at RoR.... hmmm... One item we might add to the official wishlist: Multi-Player Play.

With this, when this option is selected (maybe allowing up to 16 as a max) the number of players on a side would be selected when the game is started and all formations would have to be assigned to this player or that, and then each would have separate turns.

For RoR, maybe 1 player on the Roman side and maybe 5 players on the barbarians side. Being a 120 turn game, would take ages to complete, but would be fun IMO.

With the TOAW3 game system, should fit right in (albeit, each player would do their turn separately), and significant for most of the scenarios, if players want to go that way.

DiT

P.S. Checked the wishlist and it is already there <g>. Whatever.
DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

Didn't realize JapLance had included both scenarios in the rar download, so re-downloaded that, dug up my 'unrarer' program, and now got both of these. Yeah, brought up PW2 to take a look and, there is Hannibal with those elephants to start things off.

Thanks for the help on this!

DiT
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

JapLance, I got 1.04.01 also. Could you try this one to see if you can get it?

No problem, mate, here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OIHSC14V

Sorry for the RAR files but, believe it or not, I don't use Winzip anymore.

Regarding the conversion to TAOW 3, I think I know what happens here. Older TOAW Vol.1 scenarios need to be saved in the latest patch of TOAW I (1.07 I think) to be able to open them in COW. In this aspect, I always get my scenarios from Rugged Defense, as the webmasters take their time to do this extremely important step. That Franco's Nightmare scenario didn't load as it was in the download sPzAbt653 attached to this post, so I got it from RD and... [:D], everything worked flawlessly.

So the key point here, for very old scenarios at least, is this intermediate action. Saving them in TOAW Vol.1 v1.07 (or its equivalent in TOAW 2) will let you play them in TOAW-COW and TOAW 3.
Greetings from Spain.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

awesome[&o]
The TOAW Redux Dude
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

JapLance, now you're at it[;)]... I always wanted to look into these two (maybe for future mods)
&nbsp;
Corridor of Death
http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/display_scenario.php?menu=off&Id=282
&nbsp;
Krasni Bor Crucible
http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/display_scenario.php?menu=off&Id=179
&nbsp;
I second "Dead In Trench" 's suggestion of uploading converted scenarios into one of the games depot.
There are a number of interesting scenarios designed under TOAWI which&nbsp;peeps like me&nbsp;cannot convert.
&nbsp;
The TOAW Redux Dude
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

JapLance, now you're at it[;)]... I always wanted to look into these two (maybe for future mods)

Corridor of Death
http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/display_scenario.php?menu=off&Id=282

Krasni Bor Crucible
http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/display_scenario.php?menu=off&Id=179

I second "Dead In Trench" 's suggestion of uploading converted scenarios into one of the games depot.
There are a number of interesting scenarios designed under TOAWI which peeps like me cannot convert.

You wish is my command [:'(]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BT0L9LDL

I have a bunch of old TOAW Vol.1 scenarios from Rugged Defense converted. It'd be a pleasure to share them with anybody that wants them, if it's no problem with the original authors.
Greetings from Spain.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

[&o]Muchas gracias!
The TOAW Redux Dude

Return to “TOAW III Support”