Supply Depot Questions -- HELP!

Birth of America is an American Revolutionary War/French and Indian War grand strategy title based on a simultaneous monthly turn style of play.

Moderator: MOD_BoA/AGEOD

barbarossa2

Supply Depot Questions -- HELP!

Post by barbarossa2 »

Okay. Love the system. [:)]

One problem. I am having a hard, hard time locating depots on the map, which is a bit odd, given the fact that some people have called them the "most important units in the game."
[:)]
I just looked through the town descriptions again (with images) provided in the instruction manuals and have discovered that this doesn't help much either.

On top of that, after having read the rules book, read the "living rules", played a full campaign game as Colonies against the British AI (and winning by capturing ALL of the objectives, major and minor EXCEPT for Fort Detroit), I still don't have a clue as to how depots work or function really.

Any help here? I would like to master these before I take to the field in a few PBEM games. Thanks!

I would recommend that for the "Gold" edition, that there be a simple symbol placed in the provence if there is a depot present so that players need not sift through so much visual clutter to figure it out. I have seen screen shots of the Napoleon game coming out (the Austerlitz AAR) and think it may use a more intuitive graphic representation which allows players to tell at a glance if there is a depot present. But like I said, any help on understanding depots, their effects, and how to visually locate them, would be appreciated.

Chris
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
*It is sweet and right to die for your country.
mmccot

RE: Supply Depot Questions -- HELP!

Post by mmccot »

You have to build depots, cost you two suply wagons, unless you capture one of the enemy's depots.
decaro

RE: Supply Depot Questions -- HELP!

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: mmccot

You have to build depots, cost you two suply wagons, unless you capture one of the enemy's depots.

Yes, but I'm afraid it's more complicated than that. Re BoA Instructions Manual v. 1.09, Supply Sources: Supply is generated in two types of supply chips -- full and basic -- which contain either supply points (basic) or supply and ammo points (full). Being out of either in a fight, esp. ammo, can prove disasterous.

Forts and depots in towns not under seige contribute 5 and 10 supply chips, respectively, to the region they are located in.

Finding depots in towns visually is a little tricky, but if there are buildings aligned along all 4 sides and very little space in the middle, it probably has a depot; forts are more obvious, but isn't there be a tool tip that tells what's in the town when your mouse hovers over it?

Finally, instead of hunting for depots w/the map, use the supply filter to see what armies are in regions that are poorly supplied. Otherwise, you can tell what specific units are out of ammo/supply by clicking on the unit and examing the icons in the upper right of the message panel; all green indicates full ammo/ supply, but red means you're out of ammo/supply.

Hope that helps.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Return to “Birth of America”