Request - Game Manual available for those who wish to buy the game

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

coreymas

Request - Game Manual available for those who wish to buy the game

Post by coreymas »

This is a question for Matrix Games or for Frank.

Would there be a possibility of having access to the Game Manual for those of us who are considering buying the game?

My understanding is that the game is Serial number protected and as such maybe releasing the game Manual might be possible.

And before anyone says anything no I am not a pirate I am just on a limited budget and I want to make sure that this game is right for me to purchase.

Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Corey
JudgeDredd

RE: Request - Game Manual available for those who wish to buy the game

Post by JudgeDredd »

Will never happen coreymas.

Not suggesting you are a pirate, but it#s exactly that kind of service that a pirate could do with.

I'm afraid, as with many games released into a niche market, you are going to have to make your choice and live with it. The same as the rest of us.

There has been talk in the past (not specifically about this game) about demos being required so people can make up their minds. I personally never find demos very useful. They are generally too limited in scope and don't come with enough tutorial/detailed info.

But I can see why other people would like a demo of games.
Alba gu' brath
coreymas

Post by coreymas »

I will let the Designer/Developer/Marketing company decide that one.

And I fully expected to not get it.  Just would be nice as I would write a wonderful article about it on my website if i could get a chance to review it.

The idea that a pirate is going to be discouraged to crack a game title because he/she does not have access to a PDF manual is ludicrous.  Pirates crack games because they feel they can get something out of it (money or prestige or both).  Nothing in a PDF file is ever going to give a Pirate anything to help him/her crack the game.  So I am afraid that your arguement has no merit on that topic.

As such there is no harm in releasing a Manual to someone (I would expect it to be privately released to me via email and not a download). 
I do agree that this is very much a game for a niche market and that is exactly why advertising (in any form) is a good thing for the company. 

And while you may think that demos are not worth it I actually often get something out of them (enough for me to decide to buy the game or not).

But I dont want to debate the finer points of Piracy here.  My question really is targeted to those with the power to execute my request.

Corey
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well, apologies for stamping on your toes.

Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Actually, to be fair, you did point your thread specifically at them, so for jumping in on your post, I do apologise.

I'll now step away from the light and let them discuss your question.
Alba gu' brath
stevel40831

Post by stevel40831 »

ORIGINAL: coreymas

I will let the Designer/Developer/Marketing company decide that one.

As such there is no harm in releasing a Manual to someone

I do agree that this is very much a game for a niche market and that is exactly why advertising (in any form) is a good thing for the company. 

Corey

I agree 100% that a preview of the manual is a good idea. Aegod has the most up-to-date ACW manual available for download to anyone who wants to look at it. A sneak preview of the manual was what made me decide to buy that particular game.
Steve
coreymas

Post by coreymas »

I do understand where you are coming from.  I am probably the most vocal person about piracy in the Computer market.  Pirates are the lowest form of scum on the planet and I would squish one of them before I would squish a cockroach.

At least cockroaches serve a purpose in the grand scheme of things.

And I do applaud your enthusiasm for defending Matrix, Frank and all those involved in this wonderous project.  I do not feel the need for an apology as you are defending a very noble cause.

I would like to be one of those that contribute to the success of this project by buying the product.  I just have to be careful about buying this right now as money is a bit tight for me.

Corey

Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

We generally do not release the manuals to the public, sorry.
coreymas

Post by coreymas »

Marc,

Thank you for your reply.

I do respect your decision and I sincerely hope that you have good sales of your game.

However one of those sales will not be mine.

From some of the initial reviews of the game I do not think that this one is for me.  The resolution issue is a real deal breaker for me.  I have a laptop at home that does not display 1024 X 768 that well and I already have vision issues.

Corey
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

I know I like the fact that with boardgames I can go to the Columbia Games website and download the rules for one of their games before deciding whether to buy.  With computer games the problem is obviously assisting piracy which is too bad because being able to see the rules would be nice.
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

Hi Frank,
I know I like the fact that with boardgames I can go to the Columbia Games website and download the rules for one of their games before deciding whether to buy. With computer games the problem is obviously assisting piracy which is too bad because being able to see the rules would be nice.

This is indeed a sad state of affairs for our hobby. Like yourself, I enjoy reading over an online copy of the rules to whatever games I'm playing at the moment, to answer questions which might've popped into my head, or as an interesting diversion on my lunch hour at work. Also, for newer games, it allows me to re-read portions which may have been unclear at first, or that I am only just beginning to understand.

GMT is one of my favorire publishers specifically because of its "Living Rules" practice. It greatly facilitates my learning a new game, especially one introducing a new series. I try to support them to the maximum extent possible because of this, through their "P500" system.

Perhaps you could make the rules to your games available on-line on a personal webpage like some other designers do, a couple of months after their release. (Say, 3 to 6.) This would allow updates and revisions to be incorporated, permit later consumers (non-"early adopters") to decide if the title was right for them, while still limiting the potential profitability for piracy.
balenami1291

Post by balenami1291 »

There is only one way to fight piracy in this niche market: Services (before and after market).

This market is not made by teenagers. I nave, as quite all of us, no time for reading belivable rewiews, studying new rules, searcing FAQ, solve pbem problems, fight against tech issue
but I've enough money to buy a new game when it's interisting for me.

If i'm sure this is a good game, I don't want spare 35$, but I want spare 35 hours lost finding good rewiews, searcing piracy solutions, installing corrupted cracked version and so on..

Yes, it'is. I'm thinking to buy this game and a copy of the manual now would be very apreciated as well the matrix' tech support forums for the after market problems.

Excuse my bad english

Angelo Balena Ricci

Intek i5 m520 2,5mhz
6 mega ram
Nvidia 525 1 giga ram
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Matrix need to promote their games better.I see nothing on the forums or anywhere apart from some brief home page overview.If fact they remind me of StrategyFirst,they sell and ship but do no promotion.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Def Zep

Hi Frank,
I know I like the fact that with boardgames I can go to the Columbia Games website and download the rules for one of their games before deciding whether to buy. With computer games the problem is obviously assisting piracy which is too bad because being able to see the rules would be nice.

This is indeed a sad state of affairs for our hobby. Like yourself, I enjoy reading over an online copy of the rules to whatever games I'm playing at the moment, to answer questions which might've popped into my head, or as an interesting diversion on my lunch hour at work. Also, for newer games, it allows me to re-read portions which may have been unclear at first, or that I am only just beginning to understand.

GMT is one of my favorire publishers specifically because of its "Living Rules" practice. It greatly facilitates my learning a new game, especially one introducing a new series. I try to support them to the maximum extent possible because of this, through their "P500" system.

Perhaps you could make the rules to your games available on-line on a personal webpage like some other designers do, a couple of months after their release. (Say, 3 to 6.) This would allow updates and revisions to be incorporated, permit later consumers (non-"early adopters") to decide if the title was right for them, while still limiting the potential profitability for piracy.

Yes, but most games being published by Matrix games have an active AAR prior to release. Does this not facilitate in a similar way to a company publishing the rules? Afterall with an AAR you can also ask questions about the game, mechanics, interface etc, etc...

For me, personally, a good AAR from a decent beta tester goes a long, long way to selling me the game. Much moreso than if I had the manual or even a demo.
Alba gu' brath
coreymas

Post by coreymas »

Frank,

First off i would like to congratulate you on your games release.

Second you are showing great commitment to your customers by being honest and responding to a request to a potential customer on the now 3rd day of release.

I hope that others who are considering buying your game see this commitment and buy your game. It is very rare these days that developers stay commited to their games as much as you are.

Perhaps someday soon i will have the extra money to purchase your game and enjoy it myself.

Keep up the good work and again thanks for responding to my request.

Corey
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

Hi Judge,
Yes, but most games being published by Matrix games have an active AAR prior to release. Does this not facilitate in a similar way to a company publishing the rules? Afterall with an AAR you can also ask questions about the game, mechanics, interface etc, etc...

For me, personally, a good AAR from a decent beta tester goes a long, long way to selling me the game. Much moreso than if I had the manual or even a demo.

Thank you very much for your response to my post.

AAR's are indeed helpful, and can be very good ways to convey information about the game to prospective buyers.

I am thinking, however, of those who have already purchased the game and would like to research a question which has come up in play without the manual handy, or are interested in finding an opponent for a HtH game and want to share the rules beforehand.

This is a big factor in my own personal decison-making, both of what to buy (and of what to play HtH) next.

GMT's "Living Rules" practice is exemplary in this regard, and is responsible for much of my support of that company. I believe such practices help build the hobby.

(I know there are games I would have never bought unless someone had asked me to play it with them first. After reading the rules and playing once or twice, I would discover it was a good game and go out & purchase it.)

It is unfortunate that the actions of a relative few (the "pirates") preclude this for many companies. (The same is also true for the music publishers.) To mitigate this, perhaps a "delayed release" system could be tried for the manuals.

That way, later consumers could read over the rules and be able to make a fully informed decision whether this is the right game for them. (One of the first questions I usually see on a forum is "Should I buy this game?". With the rules on-line, one can more readily make that decision.) Also, many campaign games last weeks, if not months; having the updated rules online, incorporating changelogs, etc. (even at a later time) can be very conducive to continued play.

I see that other publishers (even some Matrix is affiliated with, like AGEod) have examined this issue and come to the same conclusion, posting their rulesets online.

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”