AI is brain dead

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
BlackVoid

AI is brain dead

Post by BlackVoid »

I have played the original CC3 and finished a campaign as Germany.

Now, with the new game, I started a grand campaign with the Soviets.
I had very few points, so I purchased an infantry squad + an MMG.

First battle, I decided to defend a bridge at the bottom of the map. The AI came in with his squads piece-meal, all were cut down at the bridge. The AI sent a lone PZ4D to my rear, took an objective there, then got lost. The tank never even fired a shot. The AI did not lend any support to its attacks. HMG squads were thrown forward as well and cut down.

I think the only way to play this game is multiplayer, because the AI is NON-EXISTENT.
PDiFolco

RE: AI is brain dead

Post by PDiFolco »

Huh, that reminds me furiously of the CC3 AI, which made me quit playing.
I thought it has been upgraded for CoI, I wonder if other people had same experience than you ?
PDF
HardRock

Post by HardRock »

Try the GD mod.

Preface. No AI is great. Is that a surpise?

Having said that.try GD.

The Soviets are beefed up to 10 man squads and GD is limited historically.

That said..about the 8th battle my group was down to 3 units including a command tank. The soviets had been decimated so I slowly advanced to take the remaining objectives. All of a sudden a soviet tank came up on a hill which I hadn't seen the whole time and killed my command tank. 2 wounded squads left would not be enough to take the rest.

It's not great as in no AI is.....but you will have a challenge. You won't, can't afford to win every map.
Beeblebrox

Post by Beeblebrox »

I wonder if other people had same experience than you ?
There have been a few comments, but overwhelmingly positive on the whole (speaking numbers rather than loudness...).

the AI is NON-EXISTENT.
How wonderfully simplistic.  The AI may be bad/poor/mediochre/adequate/fair/good/excellent, but as we are sentient beings, we probably know what you are trying to say...

As to the "AI is brain dead".  Another wonderfully simplistic comment.  I think those that have been forced off a map, flanked, or ambushed by the AI might take issue with you.  These things do happen.

The AI is simple, simplistic, and consistent.  It has no 'brain' and is certainly not 'intelligent'.  Naturally there will be those who do not find it compelling or satisfying.  Once again, the numbers would indicate that this is not a big problem for most.  If the investment can be found, maybe you will get a clever AI which will whoop your ass.  I for one hope that this does happen (the 'clever' AI bit; whether it whoops your ass will be up to you...) [;)]

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”